Transmission over a linear barrier (QM)

In summary, the transmission coefficient for a plane wave is larger than 1 if the electric field is higher than the potential.
cc94

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a potential such that $$
V =
\left\{
\!
\begin{aligned}
0 & \text{ if } x<0\\
\mathcal{E}x & \text{ if } x>0, x<L\\
\mathcal{E}L & \text{ if } x>L
\end{aligned}
\right.
$$

for some electric field ##\mathcal{E}##. I'm trying to find the transmission coefficient ##T## for a plane wave incoming from the left.

Homework Equations

Solving Schrodinger's equations, I believe we have:
$$
\psi =
\left\{
\!
\begin{aligned}
Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} & ; x<0\\
C\text{Ai}(\zeta) + D\text{Bi}(\zeta) & ; x>0, x<L\\
Fe^{i\kappa x} & ; x>L
\end{aligned}
\right.
$$

Where ##\zeta## is a change of variable involving ##x##, ##E##, and ##\mathcal{E}##, and we only keep a forward traveling wave for the region ##x>L##. Since one of the coefficients is arbitrary, we can choose ##F## = 1

Then we have boundary conditions:
$$\psi_I(0) = \psi_{II}(0) \\
<=> A + B = C\text{Ai}(\zeta_0) + D\text{Bi}(\zeta_0)$$
$$\psi_I'(0) = \psi_{II}'(0) \\
<=> ik(A - B) = C\text{Ai}'(\zeta_0)(\zeta'_0) + D\text{Bi}'(\zeta_0)(\zeta'_0)$$
$$\psi_{II}(L) = \psi_{III}(L) \\
<=> C\text{Ai}(\zeta_L) + D\text{Bi}(\zeta_L) = e^{i\kappa L}$$
$$\psi_{II}'(L) = \psi_{III}'(L) \\
<=> C\text{Ai}'(\zeta_L)(\zeta'_L) + D\text{Bi}'(\zeta_L)(\zeta'_L) = i\kappa e^{i\kappa L}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Then we get the matrix (using a little bit of shorthand):

$$\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & -\text{Ai}_0 & -\text{Bi}_0 & 0 \\
ik & -ik & -\text{Ai}'_0\zeta '_0 & -\text{Bi}'_0\zeta '_0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \text{Ai}_L & \text{Bi}_L & e^{i\kappa L} \\
0 & 0 & \text{Ai}'_L\zeta '_L & \text{Bi}'_L\zeta '_L & i\kappa e^{i\kappa L}
\end{bmatrix}$$

I used MATLAB to solve this symbolically, and then we know that ##T = \lvert\frac{F}{C}\rvert ^2 = \frac{1}{|C| ^2}##. So I plugged in various energies above the highest V and plotted T. But the transmission turns out to always be larger than 1, which makes no sense. Is my math wrong, or do I need to find a typo in my code somewhere? Has anyone solved this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I finally found the answer here: http://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.11582[/URL]. I don't know how he got it, because even using a diff eq solver I couldn't get that result. But I'll assume it's correct and I'm just missing something.

1. What is transmission over a linear barrier in quantum mechanics?

Transmission over a linear barrier in quantum mechanics refers to the phenomenon where a particle with a certain energy attempts to pass through a potential barrier. In classical mechanics, the particle would not have enough energy to pass through the barrier. However, in quantum mechanics, there is a non-zero probability that the particle can "tunnel" through the barrier, allowing for transmission.

2. How does the height and width of the barrier affect transmission probability?

The height and width of the barrier affect transmission probability in different ways. A higher barrier will decrease the transmission probability, as the particle needs more energy to tunnel through. A wider barrier will also decrease the transmission probability, as the particle has a greater distance to travel through the barrier. In general, a larger and/or thicker barrier will result in a lower transmission probability.

3. What is the role of the particle's energy in transmission over a linear barrier?

The particle's energy plays a critical role in determining the transmission probability. The higher the particle's energy, the higher the probability of transmission. This is because the particle has more energy to overcome the potential barrier and tunnel through. Additionally, the energy of the particle also affects the shape and height of the transmission curve.

4. Can transmission over a linear barrier be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, transmission over a linear barrier has been observed in various real-life situations, such as in nuclear physics and in semiconductor devices. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified through various experiments.

5. How is transmission over a linear barrier related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Transmission over a linear barrier is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in that it demonstrates the probabilistic nature of particles in quantum mechanics. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to precisely know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This uncertainty is reflected in the probability of transmission over a linear barrier, where the particle's exact position and momentum cannot be determined, but the probability of transmission can be calculated.