Double integrals using polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses using polar coordinates to solve a double integral and find the area between two circles in the first quadrant. The expert provides a summary of the steps involved in setting up the integral and explains why the integrand is simply 1dA. The conversation also touches on the difference between finding area and volume using double and triple integrals.
popo902

Homework Statement

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral which gives the area which lies in the first quadrant between the circles
x^2 + y^2 = 4
and
x^2 - 2x + y^2 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for my integral i got
0<= theta <=pi/2 for the theta bounds since it lies in the 1st quad
and i got
2costheta<= r <= 2 for the bounds of r because 2costheta is the polar version of
x^2 - 2x + y^2 = 0 and 2 is 'r' in the equation x^2 + y^2 = 4

and the equation that i integrated is (2- 2costheta)r
you add the extra r when turning the equation polar and the equation r=2 is over
r = costheta when i graphed it
and welll...
i got pi - 3 but it's wrong...

am i even setting up the equation right or am i just having problems with the math?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a double integral, so what you want is this:
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi/2}~\int_{r = ?}^{?} r~dr~d\theta[/tex]

IOW, the limits of integration describe the region, and all you need for the integrand is 1dA. You seem to have a handle on how to describe the region, so use what you have found for the limits for r.

I get [itex]\pi/2 - 1/2[/itex] for the area.

r u serious??
why is it do i integrate 1dA?
i saw that in the book for finding the area of one of the clovers of a cosine function
but it didn't explain why i just integrate 1dA

Yes, I'm serious. For a region R, this double integral gives the area:
[tex]\int \int_R 1 dA[/tex]

In rectangular coordinates, the iterated integral will look something like this:
[tex]\int_{y = a}^b \int_{x = f(y)}^{g(y)} 1 dx~ dy[/tex]

and dA = dx dy or dA = dy dx. If you integrate in the reverse order, the limits of integration will be different.

In polar coordinates, dA = r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex]. That's where the r came from.

oh right. I'm looking for the area.
double integral of 1da gives the area and triple integral of 1 gives the volume of a 3d object.
thank you

popo902 said:
oh right. I'm looking for the area.
double integral of 1da gives the area and triple integral of 1 gives the volume of a 3d object.
thank you

double integral of 1dA gives the area and triple integral of 1dV gives the volume of a 3d object.

Related to Double integrals using polar coordinates

1. What is the formula for calculating a double integral using polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating a double integral using polar coordinates is ∫∫f(r, θ) rdrdθ, where f(r, θ) is the integrand, r is the distance from the origin, and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), use the formulas r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x). Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities to calculate r and θ.

3. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in double integrals?

Polar coordinates are useful for solving integrals over circular or symmetric regions, as they simplify the calculations by converting the region to a simpler shape. This can also help in visualizing and understanding the problem better.

4. How do you set up the limits of integration for a double integral using polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for the inner integral (with respect to r) are typically from 0 to the radius of the region (or the distance from the origin to the outer boundary). The limits for the outer integral (with respect to θ) depend on the shape of the region and can be determined by drawing a diagram or visualizing the region.

5. Can you use polar coordinates to solve any double integral?

No, polar coordinates are only applicable to certain types of integrals, such as those over circular or symmetric regions. They cannot be used for integrals over non-symmetric or irregular regions.