Double integration when switching to polar coordinates

In summary, to find the double integral of a function in polar coordinates, you must first substitute r*cos(theta) and r*sin(theta) for x and y in the function. Then, change the limits of integration to r=g(theta) and integrate with respect to r and theta. The element of area in polar coordinates is r*dr*dtheta.
Colts

Homework Statement

Take the double integration of
http://webwork.usi.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/08/1294e87299342c0ccfe2f8a97055da1.png
when f(x)=sqrt(4x-x^2)

Homework Equations

x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I plug in the r*cos(theta) and r*sin(theta) for the x and y in the equation I am integrating, but other than that i can't remember how to switch the limits about which I integrate. After I substitute and simplify I get double integral of 1 dr dtheta. How do I change the limits of the integration to polar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Colts said:

Homework Statement

Take the double integration of
http://webwork.usi.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/08/1294e87299342c0ccfe2f8a97055da1.png
when f(x)=sqrt(4x-x^2)

Homework Equations

x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I plug in the r*cos(theta) and r*sin(theta) for the x and y in the equation I am integrating, but other than that i can't remember how to switch the limits about which I integrate. After I substitute and simplify I get double integral of 1 dr dtheta. How do I change the limits of the integration to polar?
Sketch the region to be integrated over.

Write the boundary as r equal to some function of θ, r = g(θ) .

The element of area in polar coordinates is r∙dr∙dθ .

What is double integration when switching to polar coordinates?

Double integration when switching to polar coordinates is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals in two dimensions. It involves converting rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates and using the polar form of the Jacobian determinant to simplify the integration process.

What is the formula for converting from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting from rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ) is r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). This allows you to express a point in the Cartesian plane using the distance from the origin and the angle it makes with the positive x-axis.

Why is double integration in polar coordinates useful?

Double integration in polar coordinates is useful because it simplifies the integration process for certain types of functions, particularly those with circular or radial symmetry. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the geometry of the problem being solved.

What is the polar form of the Jacobian determinant?

The polar form of the Jacobian determinant is r, which is the distance from the origin. This means that when converting from rectangular to polar coordinates, the Jacobian determinant can be simplified to just r, making the integration process easier.

What are some common applications of double integration in polar coordinates?

Double integration in polar coordinates is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some specific applications include calculating the moment of inertia of a rigid body, determining the area of a polar region, and finding the center of mass of an object with circular symmetry.