Double Majoring in Math & Physics - Should I Take Diffy Q's?

• Thread starter B3NR4Y
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a double major in math and physics and recently took placement tests for their first semester as an undergraduate. They placed out of calculus I but were put into calculus II. The speaker has self-taught up to material in calc III and differential equations but was not allowed to place out of calc II. They are currently maintaining a 98% in the class and enjoy the professor. They are considering taking differential equations and calc III in the next semester and believe they can handle it due to their knowledge in double and triple integrals, partial derivatives, and vectors. They are concerned about the potential impact on their GPA.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member
I am double majoring in math and physics, as a result I have to take more math (I like math so it's okay). I am in my first semester as an undergrad, and they gave us placement tests. I placed out of calculus I, and was put into calculus II. I self-taught after I graduated and worked up to material in calc III and some of differential equations, but they didn't let me place out of calc II so I am stuck in a class that I find easy. Luckily the semester is coming to an end and I have maintained a 98% in the class. I really like the calc II professor and would love to take him again, and I found out he teaches Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, but he's teaching it in Spring and then not at all next year. So I want to talk to my adviser and schedule differential equations as well as Calc III (I'm already enrolled in Calc III) I feel I can handle it, because I know how to do double and triple integrals as well as take partial derivatives- I also know quite a lot (like a lot a lot) about vectors, and from my independent reading, material from calc III isn't really heavily used in diffy q's (ignoring vectors for linear algebra). So my question is, should I try to take differential equations next semester too? Or is too much information from calc III used that I would only ruin my gpa.

Sorry if I have bad English, it is not my first language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what else you plan on taking, but generally, it's common for people to take calc III and diff eq at the same time. I did.

1. Is double majoring in math and physics a good idea?

It depends on your goals and interests. If you are passionate about both subjects and plan to pursue a career in a field that combines math and physics, then double majoring can be a great idea. However, it may require a lot of hard work and time management.

2. What is the benefit of taking Diffy Q's as a double major in math and physics?

Diffy Q's, or differential equations, is a fundamental course in both math and physics. It provides a strong foundation for understanding advanced concepts in both subjects and is necessary for many upper-level courses. Taking Diffy Q's as a double major can help you excel in both math and physics.

3. Will taking Diffy Q's as a double major be too difficult?

Diffy Q's can be a challenging course, especially if you are taking it as a double major. However, it is not impossible to do well in the course. With proper time management, studying, and seeking help when needed, you can succeed in Diffy Q's as a double major.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to double majoring in math and physics with Diffy Q's?

Double majoring in math and physics with Diffy Q's can be time-consuming and may limit your ability to take elective courses or participate in extracurricular activities. It may also be more difficult to maintain a high GPA with the added workload. However, the benefits of a strong foundation in both subjects may outweigh these potential drawbacks.

5. Can I still pursue a career in either math or physics if I only major in one and not the other?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in either math or physics with a single major. Many jobs in these fields only require a bachelor's degree in one subject, and you can always take additional courses or pursue a minor in the other field to enhance your qualifications. However, double majoring can make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for certain jobs.