Where is the Error in My Derivation of the Magnetic Field Equation?

In summary, the magnetic field is defined using the potential and then the equation for the magnetic field is given as
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
As I said my goal is to derive the equation ##\tilde{B}^k(\vec{q})=-i\varepsilon^{ijk}q^i\tilde{A}^j_{cl}(\vec{q})##

As far as I know, the magnetic field is defined using the potential as ##\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}##

Then in equation 6.6 they define ##A^\mu(x)=\int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\tilde{A}^\mu(\vec{k})e^{-ikx}\text{d}^3 k## and an equivalent equation for ##\vec{B}##. So, using the definition
$$B^k=\varepsilon^{kij}\partial_i A^j=\int \frac{\varepsilon^{kij}}{(2\pi)^3}\tilde{A}^j(\vec{q})\partial_ie^{-iqx}\text{d}^3 q=\int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\left[\varepsilon^{kij}\tilde{A}^j(\vec{q})(-iq_i)\right]e^{-iqx}\text{d}^3 q\Longrightarrow \tilde{B}^k=-i\varepsilon^{ijk}q_i\tilde{A}^j(\vec{q})$$

But this is not the equation the book gives, because we are using the metric ##(+---)## and then ##q^i=-q_i## so the equation I get is $$\tilde{B}^k=i\varepsilon^{ijk}q^i\tilde{A}^j(\vec{q})$$

Someone can tell me where is my error?

Thank you very much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's do it in the 3D formalism first. The integrand is
##\vec{A}_{\vec{q}}(x)=\vec{\tilde{A}}(\vec{q}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} q x)=\vec{\tilde{A}}(\vec{q}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k t + \mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}),
##
from which
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}_{\vec{q}}(x)=-\vec{\tilde{A}}(\vec{q}) \times \exp(-\mathrm{i} q^0 t + \mathrm{i} \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x})=-\vec{\tilde{A}}(\vec{q}) \times \mathrm{i} \vec{q} \exp(-\mathrm{i} q^0 t + \mathrm{i} \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x})=\vec{\tilde{B}}_{\vec{q}} \exp(-\mathrm{i} q^0 t + \mathrm{i} \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x}).$$
In the Ricci calculus this reads
$$\tilde{B}^k=-\mathrm{i} \epsilon^{ijk} \tilde{A}_{\vec{q}}^i q^j=+\mathrm{i} \epsilon^{ijk} q^i \tilde{A}_{\vec{q}}^j.$$
So you are right.

Note that Peskin and Schroeder is full of typos. You always have to check any formula yourself ;-)).

Likes Gaussian97
Ok, thank you very much

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or by magnetic materials such as magnets.

How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location.

What are the units of measurement for magnetic field?

The most common unit of measurement for magnetic field is the tesla (T). Other units include the gauss (G) and the ampere per meter (A/m).

What are the effects of a magnetic field on objects?

A magnetic field can exert a force on objects that are magnetic or contain electric charges. It can also cause objects to align themselves with the field.

Can a magnetic field be shielded?

Yes, a magnetic field can be shielded using materials that are not affected by magnetic forces, such as lead or mu-metal. These materials redirect the magnetic field away from the protected area.