Download Linux on Windows - Step-by-Step Solutions

In summary: Regardless of why you want Linux, it is easy to install Linux inside Windows using Virtual Box. You can follow many videos on YouTube. This is one example. (I didn't watch it fully, but I think he goes over all the necessary details).Resorting to Python is ok, depending on why you were trying to install Linux. In general, Linux tools and programs have much, much better command line interfaces, which makes using them much easier.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to download a linux on windows but I couldn't find a site. I tried to download from Oracle VM but I couldn't make it work. I need help.

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Are you trying to set up a dual-boot system?
If so, you should check how your hard drive partitions are set up.

.Scott said:
Are you trying to set up a dual-boot system?
... or do you want to emulate Linux under Windows (if this is possible?)?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
... or do you want to emulate Linux under Windows (if this is possible?)?

yes something like this.
Okay so we are learning python and the computer labs works in linux. So I can use pyhton is windows for sure, but is it also possible to download linux under windows. Theres something called virtual box I guess but I didnt understand it.

Arman777 said:
Theres something called virtual box I guess but I didnt understand it.
As far as I know there are two ways to have your computer running on linux and something else (e.g. MacOS or Windows): dual boot or virtual machine. The first one has been pointed out by Scott above and it requires you to partition your harddisk. In this method both OS's exist on the same level. In the second method you will need to have the host OS installed first, in this case the host OS will be Windows, which indeed has been installed as you said. Then install the interface, which is called virtual machine (basically just another software) before you can introduce linux through the VM. In the second method, when you start linux through VM it is as if linux is a software which can be opened from inside the host OS. I never really tried both method but I guess the downside of using VM is that you cannot run on linux without starting the host first, your RAM will be consumed by both OS at the same time. As for dual boot, you can choose during booting process which OS you want to start and hence (probably) the RAM will only be allocated for the chosen OS. On the other hand, partitioning hdd requires knowledge beyond install-type process. But actually both methods gain the same popularity, I am sure you can easily find lots of tutorials on both from Google.

Many products that you download include a large set of Unix/Linux commands that they use. If you look around on your PC, you may find those already installed. If so, you may be happy with just using those.

PS. The example I had in mind is git. Its Windows installation included a great number of Unix/Linux commands that I was able to use. I think there were more examples, but I can't remember what they were.

Last edited:
One simple way to use linux like command line interface on Windows, is to use cygwin.

Likes FactChecker
Hmm well I guess its bettter to use nothing at all and work on Pyhton in Windows. Is it makes a big difference where I use pyhton ?

Likes FactChecker
Arman777 said:
Hmm well I guess its bettter to use nothing at all and work on Pyhton in Windows. Is it makes a big difference where I use pyhton ?
Nope, it does not. Python code is highly portable across platforms.

Likes FactChecker and Arman777
Arman777 said:

kaustubhb said:
Nope, it does not. Python code is highly portable across platforms.
I agree. What the OP is trying to do seems to me to be a massive waste of effort.

Download the Python executable for Windows, for working at home, and use the Python installation at school (running under Linux). Your python files are just text, so they don't "care" whether they are interpreted by either version of Python.

BTW, the language is Python, not Pyhton. It's spelled just like the snake...

Likes lekh2003
Mark44 said:
I agree. What the OP is trying to do seems to me to be a massive waste of effort.

Download the Python executable for Windows, for working at home, and use the Python installation at school (running under Linux). Your python files are just text, so they don't "care" whether they are interpreted by either version of Python.

BTW, the language is Python, not Pyhton. It's spelled just like the snake...
I just thought If there was an easy way to use it, I could have try, but seems its more complex then I thought.

Regardless of why you want Linux, it is easy to install Linux inside Windows using Virtual Box. You can follow many videos on YouTube. This is one example. (I didn't watch it fully, but I think he goes over all the necessary details).

Likes Arman777
Resorting to Python is ok, depending on why you were trying to install Linux. In general, Linux tools and programs have much, much better command line interfaces, which is nice for scripting. It doesn't take much of sending tabs and other key strokes to Windows programs to get tired of that.

Likes Arman777
Okay I did everything on the video says and now its not opening and says
"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686CPU. Please use kernel appropriate for your CPU"

I searched and it says that I should download the 32bit verison. The problem is I cannot find it

Last edited:
Its working! A bit slow but that's normal I think, thanks

It works nicely but when I close the system and re-open it it losts its storage so I have to restart it everytime. Why it happens ?

Yes, you needed to download the 32-bit version. I think it is slow because it shares resources with the host (Windows in your case), as you run both at the same time, one inside the other.

It works nicely but when I close the system and re-open it it losts its storage so I have to restart it everytime. Why it happens ?

Could you explain more?

S_David said:
Yes, you needed to download the 32-bit version. I think it is slow because it shares resources with the host (Windows in your case), as you run both at the same time, one inside the other.
Could you explain more?

When I open the VM it says "One or more disk image files are not currently accessible. As a result, you won't be able to operate virtual machines that use these files..."

And then when I go to storage settings it writes empty, so everytime I open it I have to add the ubuntu -desktop i386 and since I had to do it everytime I lose my files.

You must remove the .iso image from storage after finishing installation, to boot from the hard drive. Remove the image from storage and launch the operating system.

S_David said:
You must remove the .iso image from storage after finishing installation, to boot from the hard drive. Remove the image from storage and launch the operating system.
Isnt that the problem ? I am terrible at computer language sorry.

Adsız.png

so this happens everytime I open the VM. so then I have to do this to make it work,

Adsız 1.png

after adding it to the storage it works fine.

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Adsız 1.png
    Adsız 1.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 444
What does happen when you start the OS without mounting the .iso image? It doesn't boot?

This seems similar to your issue. Try removing the .iso image from the media manager, and restart the virtual box.

Now when I open it doesn't give me the error

"One or more disk image files are not currently accessible. As a result, you won't be able to operate virtual machines that use these files..."

so that's nice I think then I started the program. It opened.Then I closed the all programs including VM. After that I re opened and It didnt give me the error but when I started the program it said

"No bootable medium found, System halted"

and when I look the storage it was like this again,

Adsız.png

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 455
The storage should be empty. Go to setting->system, and make sure the Hard Disk in the Boot Order box is checked, and make it the first one in the list. See what happens.

S_David said:
The storage should be empty. Go to setting->system, and make sure the Hard Disk in the Boot Order box is checked, and make it the first one in the list. See what happens.
Its not working that way..Maybe its because I am always choosing the try ubuntu instead of install ubuntu ?

Oh, you need to install it, yes. Try it is just to see how it looks like BEFORE you make the commitment to install it.

S_David said:
Oh, you need to install it, yes. Try it is just to see how it looks like BEFORE you make the commitment to install it.
Lol I am stupid. Okay thanks :)

Is it safe to click "erase disk and install ubuntu" ?

Yes, from inside the virtual box it is safe. It is a virtual drive.

I
VirtualBox_Ubuntu Linux_24_02_2018_17_14_55.png

whats this mean?

Attachments

• VirtualBox_Ubuntu Linux_24_02_2018_17_14_55.png
    VirtualBox_Ubuntu Linux_24_02_2018_17_14_55.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 368
I believe these steps are explained in detail in the video I mentioned before. Press continue, but please refer to the video I mentioned before to complete the process.

S_David said:
I believe these steps are explained in detail in the video I mentioned before. Press continue, but please refer to the video I mentioned before to complete the process.
Its working perfectly and My computer looks fine so everything is okay :) Thanks a lot for your help.

Arman777 said:
I just thought If there was an easy way to use it, I could have try, but seems its more complex then I thought.
Just to mention, If you are running Windows 10, it comes with a built in Linux subsystem that you can turn on very easily. I've been using it for over a year to compile Python and C++ code with no problems.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Likes jim mcnamara and WWGD