Download Linux on Windows - Step-by-Step Solutions

In summary: Regardless of why you want Linux, it is easy to install Linux inside Windows using Virtual Box. You can follow many videos on YouTube. This is one example. (I didn't watch it fully, but I think he goes over all the necessary details).Resorting to Python is ok, depending on why you were trying to install Linux. In general, Linux tools and programs have much, much better command line interfaces, which makes using them much easier.
You might want to create a snapshot once everything is working, that way you can do all the work you need for a class, then completely reset the machine to a vanilla install once you are done with it. I always like to start with a completely fresh machine when doing anything new.

Technology news on Phys.org
That's also nice idea but I have already installed it so...Kind of late for that.

I tried to do it but I couldnt. Well I can If I try for sure but Idk. Also It says that it only opens terminal but not like the whole linux system.

fresh_42 said:
... or do you want to emulate Linux under Windows (if this is possible?)?
It must be possible, given that Windows can do anything what the universal Turing machine can.

kaustubhb said:
Nope, it does not. Python code is highly portable across platforms.

Very true. There are some differences between how the Python interpreter accesses the OS though. For example if you are writing a program to run on multiple machines you need to test for which OS is present and test for the terminal size differently for each OS or just make an assumed default size that is smaller than most terminal windows. Full screen terminals with modern screens can allow some pretty big text (like 20lines at 132characters per line) or lots of text (like 70lines at 200characters per line) depending on the FONT and SIZE the users chooses for the terminal window. Each user can RESIZE the terminal window so testing allows you to left and right justify column positions based on the size of the terminal window. Or position a screen element based on the size of the window.

Hope this helps,
dmac257

Likes taverner