Drawing the quark flow diagram for proton-pion interaction

In summary, the given interaction involves pair-production of ##d\bar{d}## and follows baryon number and quark flavor conservation. The resulting Feynman diagram involves the production of a neutron and pion from a proton and pion interaction. Further refinement of the diagram may be necessary for a more accurate representation of the process.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

I am given the following interaction, $$\pi^-+p\rightarrow \pi^++\pi^-+n,$$ and asked to draw the Feynman (quark flow diagram).

Homework Equations

None; just baryon number conservation, quark flavor conservation, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, as baryon number and quark flavors are all conserved, I deduced that this must be a strong interaction, with pair-production of ##d\bar{d}##. That is, $$d\bar{u}+uud\rightarrow u\bar{d}+d\bar{u}+udd,$$ is the quark composition of the interaction.

From what I can deduce then, the ##\pi^-## remains as is (i.e. ##d\bar{u}\rightarrow d\bar{u}##), while the proton follows the interaction, $$uud\rightarrow u\bar{d}+udd,$$ with the ##d\bar{d}## pair-production, which would be diagrammatically represented by the following Feynman diagram.

WCsDHNG.png

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure if my reasoning is correct. Specifically, is the pion in the initial state just a spectator?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That diagram is a free proton decay to neutron plus pion, it violates conservation of energy. You'll need the interaction with the pion. You can let one quark (or both) from the incoming pion become one of the quarks of neutron or the other pion, or you can use the incoming pion to produce the d/d-bar pair.

Okay. So would this be a more appropriate diagram then?

YxOz00F.png

It could be cleaned up a bit, and adding a gluon for the pair production wouldn't harm, but that should be a possible process. Processes with a less chaotic quark flow should contribute more to the overall amplitude.

1. What is a quark flow diagram for proton-pion interaction?

A quark flow diagram is a visual representation of the interactions between quarks inside a proton and a pion. It shows the exchange of quarks and the forces that hold them together.

2. What are quarks?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles. They have a fractional electric charge and are held together by the strong nuclear force.

3. What is the significance of drawing a quark flow diagram for proton-pion interaction?

The quark flow diagram helps to understand the complex interactions between quarks and the forces that hold them together. It is an important tool in studying the structure of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. How is a quark flow diagram for proton-pion interaction drawn?

The diagram starts with a proton and a pion represented by circles. The lines connecting them represent the exchange of quarks between the two particles. The arrows on the lines indicate the direction of the flow of quarks. The colors of the lines correspond to the types of quarks being exchanged.

5. What can we learn from a quark flow diagram for proton-pion interaction?

The quark flow diagram provides insight into the strong nuclear force and how it binds quarks together. It also helps to understand the different types of quarks and their interactions. This information is crucial in understanding the structure of matter at a subatomic level.