DSB-AM Modulation Index for Multitone Signals

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the modulation index for a carrier wave that is modulated by two components with different frequencies. The initial attempt at finding the modulation index for the second component results in an imaginary value, leading to confusion and frustration for the individual. The correct approach involves calculating the individual modulation indices for each component and then finding the total effective modulation index using a formula. This results in a value of 62%, which is significantly different from the initial attempt. The conversation ends with words of encouragement for the individual to continue their scientific pursuits.
paul_harris77

Homework Statement

A carrier wave has an rms voltage of 10V. It is modulated by a signal having compenents of frequencies f1 and f2 and the rms voltage of the modulated carrier rises to 11.5V. If the modulation index due to one of the components is 60%, calculate the modulation index for the other component.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have started by working out the peak voltage of the message signal:

V_message = 11.5[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] - 10[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] = 1.5[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] V

Surely then the total effective modulation index, m, is:

m= V_message(peak) / V_carrier peak = 1.5/10 = 0.15 (15%)

Looking on the internet, I found a formula for the effective modulation index as a function of the individual modulation indices:

m_eff = [tex]\sqrt{m1^2 + m2^2 ...}[/tex]

So: 0.15 = [tex]\sqrt{0.6^2 + m2^2}[/tex]

m2 = [tex]\sqrt{0.15^2 - 0.6^2}[/tex] = 0.34i (imaginary)

I have clearly done something wrong as I am sure the modulation index cannot be imaginary.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. I believe the issue lies in your calculation of the total effective modulation index. While your calculation is correct for a single modulating component, it does not take into account the presence of multiple components.

To find the total effective modulation index, we must first calculate the individual modulation indices for each component. We can do this using the formula:

m_i = (V_i(peak) - V_carrier(peak)) / V_carrier(peak)

Where V_i(peak) is the peak voltage of the individual component and V_carrier(peak) is the peak voltage of the carrier wave.

In this case, we know the modulation index for one of the components is 60%, so we can calculate the peak voltage for that component using the formula:

V_i(peak) = V_carrier(peak) * m_i + V_carrier(peak)

Substituting in the known values, we get:

V_i(peak) = 10 * 0.6 + 10 = 16V

Now, we can use this peak voltage to calculate the modulation index for the other component:

m2 = (V2(peak) - V_carrier(peak)) / V_carrier(peak) = (11.5 - 10) / 10 = 0.15 (15%)

So, the total effective modulation index is:

m_eff = \sqrt{m1^2 + m2^2} = \sqrt{0.6^2 + 0.15^2} = 0.62 (62%)

I hope this helps clear up any confusion and leads you to the correct solution. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to DSB-AM Modulation Index for Multitone Signals

1. What is DSB-AM modulation index for multitone signals?

The DSB-AM modulation index for multitone signals is a measure of how much a signal is modulating or varying the amplitude of a carrier signal. It is calculated by dividing the peak amplitude of the modulating signal by the peak amplitude of the carrier signal.

2. How is the DSB-AM modulation index calculated?

The DSB-AM modulation index is calculated by dividing the peak amplitude of the modulating signal by the peak amplitude of the carrier signal. This can be represented mathematically as m = Em/Ec, where m is the modulation index, Em is the peak amplitude of the modulating signal, and Ec is the peak amplitude of the carrier signal.

3. What is the significance of the DSB-AM modulation index?

The DSB-AM modulation index is important because it affects the quality and efficiency of the modulated signal. A higher modulation index results in a stronger modulation and therefore a higher quality signal. However, too high of a modulation index can lead to over-modulation and distortion of the signal.

4. How does the DSB-AM modulation index vary for different types of modulating signals?

The DSB-AM modulation index can vary depending on the type of modulating signal. For single tone signals, the modulation index is usually kept at a value of 1. For multitone signals, the modulation index can vary depending on the number and amplitude of the different tones being used to modulate the carrier signal.

5. Can the DSB-AM modulation index be adjusted to improve signal quality?

Yes, the DSB-AM modulation index can be adjusted to improve signal quality. If the modulation index is too low, the modulated signal may be difficult to detect, so increasing the index can help improve signal strength. If the modulation index is too high, it can cause over-modulation and distortion, so reducing the index can help improve signal quality.