Dynamics Coursework; Velocity/Acceleration/Kinetic Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 125kg concrete block A being released from rest and pulling a 200kg log up a ramp at an angle of 30 degrees. In Case 1, where the coefficient of kinetic friction between the log and ramp is 0.5, the values for velocity and acceleration of the block A as it hits the ground at B need to be found. In Case 2, with a log of 400kg, the critical slope (theta) needs to be determined where the log will slip down when the block A is released. In Case 3, with a log of 400kg and theta=30 degrees, the critical friction coefficient needs to be found in order to result in a zero acceleration
DTskkaii

Homework Statement

The 125kg concrete block A is released from rest in the position shown and pulls the 200kg log up the theta=30degrees ramp.

Case 1: if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the log and the ramp is Uk=0.5
(a) Find the magnitudes of velocity and acceleration of the block A as it hits the ground at B

Case 2: If it is changed to a log with 400kg, consider kinetic friction between the log and ramp Uk=0.5. Determine the value of the critical slope (theta), that if theta is larger than this value, the log will slip down when the concrete block A is released.

Case 3: If theta=30degrees and it is changed to a log of 400kg, determine the value of the friction coefficient (the critical friction coefficient) that would result in a zero acceleration of the block.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments:
'pic' shows a diagram of the problem
'001' shows my cable and FBD for how i have set up my equations
'002' shows my working so far for the first question

Attempts:
Case 1: I have achieved 2 equations as shown in 002
0.5(173.205)-2T+200sin30=(200/9.8)Ac
or 186.6025-2T=(200/9.8)Ac
and 125-T=(125/9.8)Aa

I currently have 2 equations with 3 unknowns, and don't quite know how to approach that.
For Case 1, I simply have to work out those 3 variables and then find velocity of Block A using Aa and fall distance, but really need a little assistance working out those set of equations.

Am currently working on other problems until I can get Case 1 done, then I will post attempts at Case 2 and 3, but if anyone can allude as to how I should approach them when I get there, that would be fantastic too.

Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
Replying because it doesn't seem that the attachments worked.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,235
I also found the third equation to use as 0=2Aa+2Ac.

Using this I found T, and substituted it into find Aa and Ac.
However, by this method Aa and Ac and equal with opposite signs (as I should have predicted from the above formula). This is incorrect, so I'm stumped again.

Related to Dynamics Coursework; Velocity/Acceleration/Kinetic Friction

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It can be either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. In other words, it is the slope of the displacement-time graph. The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s).

3. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of friction that occurs when two objects are in contact and sliding against each other. It is caused by microscopic bumps and imperfections on the surfaces of the objects and acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the object.

4. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction force by the normal force between two surfaces. This value is dependent on the type of materials in contact and can vary based on the surface conditions.

5. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that an object with a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration when subjected to the same amount of force compared to an object with a smaller mass.