E&M Exam Question, I want to know what I did wrong

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field of a charged infinite sheet and how to properly apply Gauss's law to find the polarization and surface charge density. The person asking the question is struggling with understanding the concepts and is seeking clarification on whether their approach is correct. The expert summarizes the correct steps to take in solving the problem, including properly using surface charge density instead of enclosed charge.
ParticleGinger6
Homework Statement
A dielectric slab, infinite in the xy-plane with dielectric constant epsilon r = 4, is
placed above an infinite perfect conductor as shown. A uniform surface charge
density sigma is placed on the upper surface of the conductor. (Picture in attached file)

a.) Find the electric displacement D and the electric field E inside and above the dielectric.
b.) Determine the polarization P inside the dielectric.
c.) Find the bound charge densities of the dielectric.
Relevant Equations
(in the second attached file)
(the second attached file)

Attachments

• Exam 3 Quiz 1.JPG
    Exam 3 Quiz 1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Exam 3 Quiz 1 Try.png
    Exam 3 Quiz 1 Try.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 195
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a hard time following your work. Do you know the electric field of a charged infinite sheet?

Did your professor cover boundary conditions? I feel like this question is hinting at it.

The polarization one I was totally baffled and admit I'm very weak on that topic; so: I've grabbed my book and I'm not sure if I'm understanding it right. I don't know if it would be the right approach so I'll put it in spoilers.

Disclaimer: I admit I do not know the answer and do not know if this is an acceptable approach.

$$D = \epsilon_0 E + P$$

Where ##P## is your polarization field. I'm not sure if it would be right to say ##D = \epsilon E = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 E##. If I were in the middle of the exam and had the first equation I'd put that into the left side and solve for ##P##.

Likes Delta2
A bit hard to understand what you doing but let's see.

I suppose you apply Gauss's law in a "proper" closed gaussian surface which's one side (the one parallel to the conducting sheet) has surface XY (is that what XY is about?). Then why XY is mysteriously disappearing in a) when you take the electric field E inside to be ##E=\frac{Q}{4\epsilon_0}##. Algebraically is not correct what you do there.
Perhaps you wanted to write ##E=\frac{Q}{XY}\frac{1}{4\epsilon_0}=\sigma\frac{1}{4\epsilon_0}##?
But even so i believe the result is wrong and it all starts because you don't apply Gauss's law correctly.

1. From Gauss's law using a pillbox whose one face is inside the conductor and the other inside the dielectric
##D A=\sigma A \rightarrow D=\sigma##.
2. Inside the dielectric you correctly wrote ##D=\epsilon_0 E+P## and ##E=\dfrac{D}{\epsilon}##. So, with the result from part 1, $$\sigma=\epsilon_0 \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon}+P~ \rightarrow~P=\sigma\left(1-\frac{\epsilon_0}{\epsilon}\right).$$
3. The surface bound charge density is equal to ##P##. Of course ##\dfrac{\epsilon_0}{\epsilon}=\dfrac{1}{4}##.

So what did you do wrong? You insisted on using ##Q## for the enclosed charge instead of using the given charge density ##\sigma##. Thus, you got stuck with this silly ##Q/XY## that you did not recognize as the surface charge density.

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, etotheipi and Delta2

1. What is the purpose of an E&M exam?

The purpose of an E&M exam is to assess a student's understanding and knowledge of electricity and magnetism concepts, theories, and applications. It is typically given in physics or engineering courses at the college level.

2. What are some common mistakes students make on E&M exams?

Some common mistakes students make on E&M exams include not fully understanding the fundamental concepts, not showing all necessary steps in their solutions, and not carefully reading the question or interpreting diagrams.

3. How can I improve my performance on E&M exams?

To improve your performance on E&M exams, it is important to thoroughly review and understand the concepts, practice solving problems and equations, and pay attention to details in the question and diagrams. Seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a question on an E&M exam?

If you encounter a question on an E&M exam that you do not understand, it is important to first read the question carefully and try to break it down into smaller parts. If you are still unsure, you can ask the professor for clarification or for help in solving the problem.

5. How can I avoid making careless mistakes on E&M exams?

To avoid making careless mistakes on E&M exams, it is important to double check your work and calculations, show all necessary steps in your solutions, and pay attention to units and significant figures. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the exam with a fresh mind.