Early Abstract Algebra Problem - Pinter's Textbook

In summary, the problem is asking to determine whether the operation * defined by x*y = (xy)/(x+y+1) is associative. The submitter of the problem believes it is, as they have arrived at the same result for both (x*y)*z and x*(y*z). However, the solution in the book claims that the operation is not associative, providing a different result for (x*y)*z. The submitter believes this is a mistake and would appreciate feedback. In conclusion, the problem does not explicitly show whether the operation is associative or not, but rather asks to determine its associativity.
physicsforum7

Homework Statement

This problem is from Charles C. Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra, Second Edition. The problem is B7 of Chapter 2.Show that the operation * is either associative or not.

x*y=[itex]\frac{xy}{x+y+1}[/itex] This problem seems simple to me: I keep arriving at YES for an answer; more specifically,

x*(y*z)=(x*y)*z=[itex]\frac{xyz}{xy+xz+yz+x+y+z+1}[/itex].

However, the solution in the back claims that the answer is NO, the operation is not associative. More specifically,

x*(y*z)=[itex]\frac{xyz(y+z+1)}{xy+xz+yz+x+y+z+1}[/itex].

(x*y)*z= [itex]\frac{xyz(x+y+1)}{xy+xz+yz+x+y+z+1}[/itex].

After working the problem through several times, I'm pretty sure this is a mistake in the book. But I would greatly appreciate feedback so that I can be sure I'm not doing something terribly wrong.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. The operation seems to be associative.

I also get the same result.

But surely your text does not "Show that the operation * is either associative or not."
Every operation is "either associative or not"!

Better wording would be "Determine whether the operation * is either associative or not."

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the abstract properties and structures of these mathematical objects rather than specific numerical calculations.

2. What is the Pinter's textbook about?

Pinter's textbook, "A Book of Abstract Algebra," is a comprehensive introduction to abstract algebra. It covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, and field theory, and provides a rigorous foundation for further study in abstract algebra.

3. Who is the author of Pinter's textbook?

The author of Pinter's textbook, "A Book of Abstract Algebra," is Charles C. Pinter, a mathematician and professor emeritus at Bucknell University. He has also written other textbooks on discrete mathematics and topology.

4. Is Pinter's textbook suitable for beginners?

Pinter's textbook is a popular choice for beginners in abstract algebra. It provides clear explanations and examples, making it accessible for students with a basic understanding of algebra. However, it also covers advanced topics, making it suitable for more advanced students as well.

5. What are some other recommended resources for learning abstract algebra?

Some other recommended resources for learning abstract algebra include "A Course in Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Abstract Algebra" by John A. Beachy and William D. Blair, and "Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications" by Thomas W. Judson. Online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials can also be helpful for learning abstract algebra.