"Easy" but cool electrical engineering projects

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for an easy but cool electrical engineering project that they can learn from and apply to future projects. They mention their interest in magnetism and their budget of $20. Some suggestions are given, including making a battery powered motor, an electro mechanical clock, and an adjustable power supply. The speaker also recommends using an arduino set for learning about software and controlling larger projects in the future.
Josh225
Hello, I am looking for an "easy" but cool electrical engineering project. I've tried to make a mini tesla coil, but I keep messing up the coil part itself, so I am taking a step back from it for a while. Are there any relatively easy (I am beginning) electrical projects that you have heard of, seen, or done yourself?

I would like to learn something from the project so I can apply that concept to future projects and help me understand the properties of electricity better. I also have an interest in magnetism, so a project that has to deal with electromagnetism would be cool too!

Also, Id rather not spend too much money. My limit would probably be around $20.

Thanks alot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about making your own battery powered motor? Just search for DIY electric motor on youtube, and you should find several videos showing how.

Some sort of electro mechanical clock?

CWatters said:
Some sort of electro mechanical clock?
My dad once had a clock like that powered by a battery.

It was a pendulum clock. But instead of a main spring it had a little solenoid coil located close to the bottom of the pendulum's swing. A circuit gave that coil a pulse of current once each swing and the magnetic force gave the pendulum a tiny kick. One tiny kick each tick (a kick per tick :smile::smile::smile:) is all that is needed to keep a clock running. You could start with an existing pendulum clock and modify it.

I found a video of something similar.

These are handy for experimenting when just starting out
http://www.jameco.com/z/WBU-301-R-400-Point-Solderless-Breadboard-3-3-Lx2-1-W_20601.html
20601.jpg

build your own adjustable power supply from "Wall-Wart" transformers and adjustable regulators
junkshops are full of them

mount it on a box that'll hold your meter and small hand tools..

Find yourself one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004573D80/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and you get a center tapped secondary. You can make an adjustable power supply with + and -.

I have no idea what the part number for the 220VAC version is. This is 110.

BoB

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jim hardy
It is slightly above your price range ($35 + shipping), but an arduino is a great choice.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/193

this set comes with an arduino (programmable micro-controller) , breadboard (see jims post), resistors, switches, etc.

You can use these to make countless projects. you can also spend some more cash to buy motors and other things to control with the arduino. This would teach you a lot about software, and give you the ability to rapid prototype and control other larger projects in the future.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the definition of an "easy" electrical engineering project?

An "easy" electrical engineering project is typically one that requires a basic understanding of electrical concepts and can be completed with readily available materials. These projects are usually suitable for beginners and can be completed in a relatively short amount of time.

2. Do "easy" electrical engineering projects require any prior knowledge or experience?

While some basic knowledge of electrical concepts may be helpful, most "easy" electrical engineering projects can be completed by beginners with little to no prior experience. Instructions and tutorials are often readily available online or in project kits to guide individuals through the process.

3. Can "easy" electrical engineering projects be completed without expensive equipment?

Yes, "easy" electrical engineering projects can typically be completed with basic tools and materials that are affordable and easily accessible. Many projects can be completed using items found around the house or purchased at a local hardware store.

4. Are "easy" electrical engineering projects suitable for all ages?

Yes, most "easy" electrical engineering projects are suitable for all ages. However, adult supervision may be required for younger children, and some projects may be more challenging for younger individuals.

5. Can "easy" electrical engineering projects be useful in everyday life?

Absolutely! Many "easy" electrical engineering projects have practical applications and can be used in everyday life. These projects can range from simple electronic gadgets to home automation systems, providing convenience and functionality in various aspects of daily life.