Easy problem about a pulley accelerating

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pulley and masses, with the question of whether the pulley is accelerating. It is assumed that the tension on each side of the pulley is equal to half of the force, and the mass of the pulley is unknown. The conversation also mentions using Newton's 2nd law to analyze the system and the concept of ideal pulleys.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Summarizing, it is a system with a pulley being pulled by a force F, with two masses hanging.
Relevant Equations
F = ma
Xm + XM = 2Xp
1590677276287.png
That is the classic problem involving pulley and masses, I can find everything that is requested, but there is a big problem, i don't know how to justify that the tensions in both side are equal to half of the force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the pulley accelerating?

Doc Al said:
Is the pulley accelerating?
Yes, the pulley is accelerating, which if it is assumed that T = F/2 (i don't know why), we can know the acceleration is:
(M+m)F/4Mm - g

LCSphysicist said:
Yes, the pulley is accelerating, which if it is assumed that T = F/2 (i don't know why), we can know the acceleration is:
(M+m)F/4Mm - g
What is the mass of the pulley?

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Summarizing, it is a system with a pulley being pulled by a force F, with two masses hanging.
Relevant Equations:: F = ma
Xm + XM = 2Xp

i don't know how to justify that the tensions in both side are equal to half of the force.
why do not you write the 2 Newton law for each body

LCSphysicist said:
..., I can find everything that is requested, but there is a big problem, i don't know how to justify that the tensions in both side are equal to half of the force.
Unwrap the string from around the pulley and place it, together with the weights on an imaginary horizontal flat surface.
Pull the big weight with a horizontal force of magnitude Mg.
Simultaneously, pull the small weight with a horizontal force of magnitude mg, but in the opposite direction.

There is a resultant force acting on the whole system (M+m), which has certain acceleration.

In between those weights, you will have the string, which will be loaded with a tension of magnitude Mg-mg, which equals (M+m)a, being a the acceleration of the system as a whole.

Because of the above, the pulley should be rotating (clockwise) and the distance between M and the pulley should be increasing.

What does the work to make the mass-less pulley rotate is not any difference in right-left tension, but the resulting force acting on the system.
As your imaginary flat arrangement moves horizontally, just let the edge of the stationary pulley contact the sliding horizontal string, and, if friction is present, it will start rotating.

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
Yes, the pulley is accelerating, which if it is assumed that T = F/2 (i don't know why),
Is the pulley assumed to be massless? If so, what will Newton's 2nd law tell you?

If the pulley is ideal, the tension on each side is the same. Ideal pulleys change the direction but not the magnitude of the tension.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It is used to change the direction of a force and can also be used to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley accelerate?

A pulley accelerates by using the principle of mechanical advantage. This means that the force needed to lift an object is reduced by the number of pulleys used. As more pulleys are added, the acceleration of the object increases.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. In a fixed pulley, the direction of the force is changed, but the magnitude of the force remains the same. In a movable pulley, the direction and magnitude of the force are both changed.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object using a pulley?

The acceleration of an object using a pulley can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the object by its mass. The net force is the difference between the force applied to the object and the force of gravity pulling the object down.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and window blinds. They are also used in more complex systems, such as in engines and conveyor belts. In addition, pulleys are used in sports equipment, such as rock climbing gear and weightlifting machines.