EC + Aero: Switch to Space Industry with UG Degree

• Thread starter abhierao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from electronics to the space industry, specifically in the field of space electronics. The individual is passionate about both electronics and space, and is seeking advice on how to pursue a career in this area. It is suggested to excel in an electronics degree and gain experience through internships at aerospace companies. The differences between space electronics and non-space electronics are mentioned, as well as the additional layers of bureaucracy in the space industry. It is recommended to specialize in electronics system designing as a way to enter the space industry.
abhierao
HELLO,
I hav a UG degree in electronics and i am completely passionate about electronic circuits & stuff but on the other hand i am also interested in space & rockets. any chance where in i can switch over to space industry with my electronics ?? do i have any specific masters course which will help me get to my destination ??
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you do electronics for the space industry? I would bet money that there are more jobs in the big areospace firms for electronics (both board level and integrated) than in traditional areospace engineering. A buddy of mine went to Northrup Grumman Space Technology after his MS in IC Design and works on radar and communication electronics for satellites. He kinda likes it, but working in the defense industry isn't for everyone.

space electronics

i have the same plans i don't want to get rid of electronics so thought about space electronics. very less universities offer course on this as to i searched on the net best one was university college of london. do you people know if there is space electronics course in any other good universities anywhere in the world, i am ready to dedicate to space study anywhere, also what is the scope, can i get into a space industry ?? please help
thank you

You're probably best advised to do as well as you can in a good electronics course and then apply to defense and aerospace companies and agencies. The specific design techniques for space (radiation tolerance, redundancy, etc) aren't typically taught in school... you learn on the job.

Try your best to get an internship at an aerospace company. That's your ticket in.

thanks a lot for your advice carl i will keep it in mind. Internship i have tried but in vain until now.
i am still waiting if anyone knows about a masters degree so that i get my ticket in for sure.

abhierao said:
i have the same plans i don't want to get rid of electronics so thought about space electronics. very less universities offer course on this as to i searched on the net best one was university college of london. do you people know if there is space electronics course in any other good universities anywhere in the world, i am ready to dedicate to space study anywhere, also what is the scope, can i get into a space industry ?? please help
thank you

Most of your "space electronics" are very similar to "non space electronics" except that the chips are radiation hardened and have extreme environmental capabilities. So designing "space electronics" is almost identical to designing "non space electronics" except you have to be very careful in your component selection.

Floid said:
So designing "space electronics" is almost identical to designing "non space electronics" except you have to be very careful in your component selection.

And you have about 4 additional layers of bureaucracy to deal with compared to commercial electronics. And you won't be able to ever get a good picture of the full system. You'll only know the specifics of the subsystem you're working on.

oh hmmmmm, thanks for the info i will head onto a specialization on electronics system designing.

1. What is EC + Aero and how does it relate to the space industry?

EC + Aero stands for Electrical and Computer Engineering combined with Aerospace Engineering. This degree combination prepares students with the technical skills and knowledge necessary to work in the space industry, specifically in the design and development of spacecraft and related technologies.

2. Is a UG degree in EC + Aero enough to switch to the space industry?

Yes, a UG degree in EC + Aero provides a strong foundation for a career in the space industry. However, it is also recommended to gain experience through internships and co-ops, as well as pursuing graduate studies in a related field to further enhance your skills and knowledge.

3. Can I specialize in a specific aspect of the space industry with a UG degree in EC + Aero?

Yes, EC + Aero programs often offer specializations or concentrations within the degree, such as space systems engineering, spacecraft design, or orbital mechanics. These specializations allow students to focus on a specific aspect of the space industry and gain in-depth knowledge and expertise in that area.

4. What are the job prospects for graduates with a UG degree in EC + Aero in the space industry?

The demand for professionals with a background in EC + Aero in the space industry is growing. Graduates can find job opportunities in a variety of roles, including spacecraft design, satellite communications, mission control, and more. The space industry is also expected to see continued growth, providing even more job opportunities in the future.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should focus on during my UG degree to prepare for a career in the space industry?

In addition to the technical skills and knowledge gained through the EC + Aero degree, it is also beneficial to focus on developing skills in coding, data analysis, and project management. Familiarity with industry-specific software and tools, as well as knowledge of the regulatory and policy aspects of the space industry, can also be valuable assets in your career in the space industry.