Exploring the Edge of the Universe

In summary, the questions asked by the OP are unanswerable because they do not refer to anything that exists in modern cosmology.
Quiksilver421
Alright, so, I'm sorry but I posted this back when I was getting my CS degree and have been looking back on my previously asked questions. Sooo, here goes a two year old question that I think time may have changed the results of.I've been mauling some questions about the end/edge of our universe in my head over the last couple hours, and Google is soooo inundated with useless pages. So I figured I'd come here to get some theories.
Sorry if I ask any dumb questions or posted this in the wrong thread. To Mod- I will move & delete if possible.

I understand that any information on this topic is speculative and I welcome all answers.
No answer is a bad answer. If you know of several different theories for one question, please include them.

*It= The edge/end of the universe. **Edge just symbolizes the farthest part of our universe, like I'm there touching it (To clarify)

1.Is it a boundary (cross if you dare type deal)?
1a.Or is it a wall?

2.Is it hot?
2a.Cold?
2b.Or neither?

3.Could I touch it (if I was at the wall)?
3a.What would it feel like?
3b.Would it be the smoothest object ever?

4.Is the inner wall positively charged (to push it further out), with the outer side being negatively charged (to pull it further out)?
4a.Vice versa?
4b.Or neither?

5.Would it have a definable color?
5a.If so, would it be the purest/deepest black (for examples sake) possible?

6.Could matter even touch it (since it was the first one out of the gate)?
6a.If matter could touch/interact with it, would the energy be absorbed and redistributed along the edges of the universe like a wave rippling out along the wall from one end to the other indefinitely until the energy acquired at impact slowly "leached" back into the universe (negative A's impact energy flowing along the universes wall to negative Z, and positive A's impact energy flowing along the universes wall to positive Z)?
6b.Or, would the impact energy be reflected back into the universe relative to it's angle of impact?

7.Would the outside of the universe resemble a solid wall of matter (infinite in size) that has yet to be given a value; since the universe hasn't expanded to encompass that space yet (For example- a hard drive with one folder written onto it, leaving the "blank/nil-valued" space there with one sole purpose, to handle the inevitability of new data)?
7a.Or is the universes size constant?

And my most crazy question,

8.Could the end/edge be a giant spherical data interpretation medium, with the inside and outside layers creating a medium capable of reading and/or recording data?
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Here's a link to PopSci where a new method of data recording uses heat instead of magnetic fields.

Sorry for any poor sentence structure in my post, I despise commas and periods :wink:

Thanks for taking a look

Live it, Learn it, Love it, Do it, Master it, Say BOO-YAH!

Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
There is no edge to the universe, in any of the senses that you mean. The universe is either infinite or finite but unbounded. Either way, no edge, so your questions have no meaning in physics. That has not changed in the last 14 billion years and isn't going to change in the next 14.

Likes HallsofIvy and cristo
The 'edge' of the universe is an illusion created by the finite speed of light. If you could travel to the apparent 'current' location of the CMB instantaneously, the CMB will have receded an additional 13.7 billion years [the travel time of the light you observed before departing] upon your arrival.

Several posts have been deleted in some thread cleanup. One was factually wrong, and several were correcting the mistake, but it became apparent that the OP was becoming confused by the factually wrong post.

Quiksilver421 said:
*It= The edge/end of the universe.
As was already mentioned, there is (in modern cosmology) no edge of the universe. There are several FAQ's that are relevant to this topic:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/cosmology-faq.206/

Because there is no edge of the universe, the remainder of your questions are essentially unanswerable. I would recommend that you read a few of the relevant FAQ's and then come back and post some specific questions. I am temporarily closing the thread until you have a chance to do so. PM me when you have some specific questions after reading some of the FAQ's.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the edge of the universe?

The edge of the universe refers to the furthest point that we can observe in the universe. This is also known as the observable universe, which is estimated to be about 93 billion light years in diameter.

2. How do scientists explore the edge of the universe?

Scientists use various telescopes and instruments to observe and collect data from distant galaxies and objects at the edge of the universe. They also study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides information about the early stages of the universe.

3. What have scientists discovered at the edge of the universe?

Scientists have discovered that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which suggests the presence of dark energy. They have also found evidence of the first stars and galaxies that formed after the Big Bang, as well as supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies.

4. Is there an end to the universe?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the universe has an end. It is believed to be infinite in size and constantly expanding. However, scientists are still researching and studying the universe to better understand its properties and potential end.

5. Why is exploring the edge of the universe important?

Exploring the edge of the universe allows us to gain a better understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. It also helps us to test and refine our theories and models about the universe. Additionally, studying the edge of the universe can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology.