EE & CS dual major or one BS and a MS. Long but detailed

In summary, the individual discussing their academic options is debating between pursuing a CS minor with their EE major in 5 years, or getting a CS major on its own in 4 years. They also mention the option of a dual major in EE and CS, which would take 6 years. They are interested in automation and creating physical equipment while also having knowledge of advanced CS for programming websites and apps. They are considering a career in computer engineering and are advised to gain experience with microcontrollers and embedded systems. Ultimately, the best school route for them would be a computer engineering program.
SaullyB
Im debating between two options.

Background:

I started out as ME and then transferred early to EE. Currently I'm 1/3 of the way to an EE bachelor and a few CS classes deep. First I was thinking of doing a CS minor with my EE major (5 years), but then I realized that with an extra year of school I could get CS as a second major on top of my EE major. The dual major route would take 6 years, and I'm currently finishing my third year.

After talking to my proffersors, I realized there's also an option to do one of those majors and get a masters in the other.

What I am looking for once i graduate

I really like CS programming and doing the classwork, its time consuming and can be frustrating but its very rewarding and empowering. EE class material is kind of boring and stale, a lot of theory and little apparent application.

I would go for a CS major on its own but I don't wan't to be stuck programming all the time. I like engineering, especially automating things. When i say automating i mean creating the electronics and then programming them. I use the Arduino a lot. I do however want to know advanced CS so i have the fundamentals to program websites, apps, and other slightly complex software.

So ultimately when i graduate I would like do to Automation related things. I want to create the physical equipment (circuitry) and program it. I want a little hands on.

Question

So what do you guys think is the best school route for me?

• EE major with CS minor and CS or maybe Automation master if that exists? (5+2 years)
  • CS major with an EE minor and EE/Automation master? (5+2 years)
  • EE and CS double major and no masters (6 years)

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way I'm also into mechanical stuff too, I like cars a lot. With the Arduino I did some things like auto headlights and winshield washers for my car using light and water sensors.

In general I just love problem solving and making cool automated things that do stuff for you that you normally would have to do. The next project I'm thinking of is an automated house. The cellphone app integration is still a little out of my programming skills. But I can start working on stuff like integrating motors into the blinds to make then go up by myself, the wifi communication. This is a big project, so I'm just starting to wrap my head around it and creating a plan to tackle it one piece at a time.

I do however want to know advanced CS so i have the fundamentals to program websites, apps, and other slightly complex software.
You don't need to learn any computer science to do that.

So what do you guys think is the best school route for me?
Computer engineering. It's half electrical engineering and half computer science. It seems like a perfect match for what you've described. If it's microcontrollers and embedded systems that interest you most, look into the computer engineering program.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Jaeusm, thanks for the reply, good point. I'm going to look into CSE.

Well you should be working with stuff like Arduino and Raspberry Pi's right now on your own outside of the classroom and see if you really like it, or perhaps join (or start) a club that does that kind of stuff. It will also build your resume as you will have real life application in what you want to do. Here at my school, we have a robotics degree. Which is basically EE, with CS sprinkled in. But really look at how long you want to be in school, and meet up with your major adviser if you can.

You do not have to specifically get a minor/major in something that interests you. Just like in Physics, some choose to major in pure physics, but also take mathematics courses that are "unnecessary" to get a more in-depth field of knowledge.

If you are set in doing one of the three things you have listed, I would choose the EE major with CS minor. Then try to get accepted to the masters program in your school, and maybe drop the minor if you get accepted, so that you may take some graduate courses while still being an "undergrad" so to speak.

1. What is the difference between an EE & CS dual major and a BS and MS in EE or CS?

An EE & CS dual major involves completing the requirements for both majors simultaneously, resulting in a single degree. On the other hand, a BS and MS in EE or CS involves completing a Bachelor's degree in one field and then pursuing a Master's degree in the other field. This results in two separate degrees.

2. Can I switch between an EE & CS dual major and a BS and MS in EE or CS?

It is possible to switch between these two options, but it may require additional time and coursework. Switching from an EE & CS dual major to a BS and MS in EE or CS may require completing additional undergraduate coursework to meet the requirements for a Bachelor's degree. Switching from a BS and MS in EE or CS to an EE & CS dual major may require completing additional coursework to fulfill the requirements for both majors.

3. What are the benefits of an EE & CS dual major or a BS and MS in EE or CS?

An EE & CS dual major allows for a more integrated and comprehensive understanding of both fields, as the coursework for both majors is completed simultaneously. This can also save time and money, as only one degree is awarded. A BS and MS in EE or CS allows for a deeper and more specialized understanding of one field, and can open up more career opportunities in that particular field.

4. Is it possible to complete an EE & CS dual major or a BS and MS in EE or CS in four years?

It is possible to complete these programs in four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. An EE & CS dual major may be more feasible to complete in four years, as the coursework for both majors is completed simultaneously. A BS and MS in EE or CS may require an extra year or summer coursework in order to complete all the requirements for both degrees.

5. What are the job prospects for someone with an EE & CS dual major or a BS and MS in EE or CS?

Both options can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as technology, engineering, and research. An EE & CS dual major may be beneficial for roles that require a combination of skills from both fields, such as software engineering or embedded systems design. A BS and MS in EE or CS may be more beneficial for roles that require specialized knowledge in one field, such as data analysis or electrical engineering. Ultimately, the job prospects will depend on the individual's skills, experience, and interests.