Switching major to EE: is this a good move?

In summary, the individual is currently enrolled in a MechE course but has discovered a passion for electronics and programming. They are considering switching to an EE degree and seeking opinions on whether this is a good move for their goal of working in software at a major tech company. They are also concerned about potential job opportunities and salary for embedded developers compared to software engineers.
ramzerimar
I'm currently enrolled in a MechE course, at my third year, and it took a long time to discover that this is not the major for me. In my spare time, I've been learning electronics (Arduino) and programming, and I decided that I like this stuff better than my MechE classes.

Most of my interest resides in programming: both embedded and software. I know that a CS degree is more appropriate if I'm looking for software engineering positions, but to be honest the CS program at my college is pretty bad, while the EE carries more prestige. Also, I would transfer a lot more credits for the EE program, so I'm decided to make the switch.

I just want some opinions on this: ultimately, my goal is working with software at some major tech company. I do like embedded, but I've heard that embedded developers earn far less than software engineers and job positions are few and far between. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramzerimar said:
I'm currently enrolled in a MechE course, at my third year, and it took a long time to discover that this is not the major for me. In my spare time, I've been learning electronics (Arduino) and programming, and I decided that I like this stuff better than my MechE classes.

Most of my interest resides in programming: both embedded and software. I know that a CS degree is more appropriate if I'm looking for software engineering positions, but to be honest the CS program at my college is pretty bad, while the EE carries more prestige. Also, I would transfer a lot more credits for the EE program, so I'm decided to make the switch.

I just want some opinions on this: ultimately, my goal is working with software at some major tech company. I do like embedded, but I've heard that embedded developers earn far less than software engineers and job positions are few and far between. Is this true?
Job markets are local. I'd recommend getting an answer from people who work in the industry in your area, or looking for job postings within whatever geographical constraints you have.

1. Should I switch my major to electrical engineering?

Ultimately, the decision to switch your major to electrical engineering depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you have a strong passion for math, physics, and problem-solving, electrical engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also a versatile and in-demand field, with opportunities in various industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and electronics.

2. What are the core courses in an electrical engineering program?

Some common core courses in an electrical engineering program include circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetics, signals and systems, and digital logic design. These courses provide a solid foundation in fundamental concepts and principles of electrical engineering.

3. How difficult is it to switch to electrical engineering from a different major?

Switching to electrical engineering from a different major can be challenging, as it requires a strong background in math and physics. However, with hard work and determination, it is possible to catch up on the necessary coursework and succeed in the program. Many universities also offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students make the transition.

4. What types of skills do I need to succeed in electrical engineering?

In addition to strong math and physics skills, successful electrical engineers also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also need to have a strong attention to detail, as well as good communication and teamwork skills to work effectively with colleagues and clients.

5. What career opportunities are available for electrical engineering graduates?

Electrical engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in design, research and development, testing and evaluation, and project management. They can work in industries such as electronics, power generation and distribution, telecommunications, and aerospace. Graduates can also pursue advanced degrees and careers in academia or research.