Problem 7.7 and its solution from A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral part of ##1/(VD) = \int_0^{\hbar \omega_D}\frac{\tanh(\beta E/2}{E}dE## and the approximation of ##\tanh(\beta E/2) \approx 1-2\exp(-\beta E)##. The speaker also presents a solution using this approximation, but the integral does not seem to converge. Further discussion reveals a possible mistake with the integral borders and the variable being integrated with respect to. The conversation concludes with the speaker planning to do the calculation and seeking clarification on the definition of ##\hat \varepsilon##.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Problem 7.7 asks for:
How does the electronic specific heat of a superconductor vary with temperature ##T## as ##T\to 0##?
Relevant Equations
See the attachment below.
Well, I don't understand the integral part of ##1/(VD) = \int_0^{\hbar \omega_D}\frac{\tanh(\beta E/2}{E}dE## and ##\tanh(\beta E/2) \approx 1-2\exp(-\beta E)##, then he writes the following (which I don't understand how did he get it):
$$\frac{1}{VD} = \sinh^{-1} (\hbar \omega/\Delta(0)) = \sinh^{-1}(\hbar \omega/ \Delta(T)) - 2\int_0^{\hbar \omega_D}\exp(-\beta E)/E dE$$

If I plug the approximation of ##\tanh## I get the following:
$$1/(VD)=\log(\hbar \omega_D)-\log 0 -2\int \exp(-\beta E)/E dE$$

Doesn't seem to converge.
I don't understand this solution...
Any help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-22 10-40-26.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-22 10-40-26.png
    70 KB · Views: 244
Physics news on Phys.org
The given approximation is good for large ##\beta E## (which is generally what you want), but the integral needs the tanh at small ##\beta E##.
##\tanh(\beta E/2) \approx 1-2\exp(-\beta E)## makes the integral diverge as this approximation doesn't go to zero for ##E\to 0##.

I don't have the book, could there be a mistake with the integral borders?

I noticed in the integral, it's with respect to ##d\hat \varepsilon## rather than ##dE##. How is ##\hat \varepsilon## defined?

vela said:
I noticed in the integral, it's with respect to ##d\hat \varepsilon## rather than ##dE##. How is ##\hat \varepsilon## defined?
Yes, I think you are correct.
On page 249 in Eq. (7.5.7) we have the following identity:
$$E_{\vec{k}}=[\hat{\epsilon}_{\vec{k}}^2+\Delta^2_k(T)]^{1/2}$$

I think I can see how the calculation is done, and I believe it should be ##\frac{1}{VD} = \sinh^{-1} (\hbar \omega/\Delta(0)) - \sinh^{-1}(\hbar \omega/ \Delta(T)) - 2\int_0^{\hbar \omega_D}\exp(-\beta E)/E d\hat{\epsilon}##, I'll do the calculation and I'll let you know if I need more help.

Thanks!

1. What is Problem 7.7 in A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter?

Problem 7.7 is a theoretical problem presented in A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter, a book that explores the principles of quantum mechanics and their applications in condensed matter physics. It involves calculating the energy spectrum of a one-dimensional lattice with a periodic potential.

2. What is the significance of Problem 7.7 in condensed matter physics?

Problem 7.7 is an important problem in condensed matter physics as it helps to understand the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential, which is a common phenomenon in many materials. Its solution can provide insight into the electronic properties and phenomena observed in various condensed matter systems.

3. What is the solution to Problem 7.7?

The solution to Problem 7.7 involves using the tight-binding model to calculate the energy spectrum of the one-dimensional lattice. This model considers the electrons as wave-like particles and takes into account the influence of the periodic potential on their motion. The solution also involves solving the Schrödinger equation for this system.

4. What are some applications of the solution to Problem 7.7?

The solution to Problem 7.7 has various applications in condensed matter physics. It can be used to understand the electronic properties of materials such as semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It also helps in studying phenomena like band gaps, conductivity, and the formation of energy bands in materials.

5. Is Problem 7.7 relevant to current research in condensed matter physics?

Yes, Problem 7.7 is still relevant to current research in condensed matter physics. It serves as a basis for studying more complex systems and phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in higher dimensional lattices, topological insulators, and superconductors. Researchers continue to build on the solution to this problem to gain a deeper understanding of condensed matter systems.