Number of phonons - Which length should I use?

In summary, the Debye frequency can be found using the equation ω_D^3 = 6π^2nc^3, and the number of atoms can be calculated by integrating the occupation number n(k) using the formula N = ∑k n(k) = ∫g(ω)/[e^(βℏω)-1]dω. The volume used in the calculations can affect the result, with using the lattice constant giving a value of N ≈ 2 and using the nanocrystal size giving a value of N ≈ 1.8 x 10^8. However, there is no reason for a specific temperature to give exactly 2 atoms, as it depends on the temperature and there
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find debye frequency.
(b) Find number of atoms.
2012_B6_Q2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
[/B]
Density of states is given by
[tex]g(\omega) = \frac{3V\omega^2}{2 \pi^2 c^3} = N \left[ \frac{12 \pi \omega^2}{(2\pi)^2 n c^3} \right] = 9N \frac{\omega}{\omega_D^3}[/tex]
Debye frequency is given by
[tex]\omega_D^3 = 6 \pi^2 n c^3 [/tex]

Part(b)
The number of atoms ##N## is related to occupation number ##n(\vec k)## by
[tex]N = \sum\limits_{k} n(\vec k) = \int \frac{g(\omega)}{e^{\beta \hbar \omega} - 1} d\omega[/tex]
[tex]N = \frac{3V}{2 \pi^2 c^3} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\omega^2}{e^{\beta \hbar \omega} - 1} d\omega[/tex]
[tex]N =\frac{3V}{2 \pi^2 c^3} \left( \frac{1}{\beta \hbar}\right)^3 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{e^x -1} dx [/tex]
[tex]N = \frac{3V}{2\pi^2 c^3} \left(\frac{k}{\hbar} \right)^3 \cdot 2.404 \cdot T^3 [/tex]

Which volume should I use at this point? Should I use ##(0.409nm)^3## or should I use ##(180nm)^3##?
Using the former gives ##2.07## which is exactly the number of lattice points of an FCC lattice. Using the latter gives ##1.8 \times 10^8##.

Physics news on Phys.org
"present within the nanocrystal" -> (180nm)3

Likes unscientific
mfb said:
"present within the nanocrystal" -> (180nm)3

Using the lattice constant gives exactly ##N\approx 2##. Could I take that my answers are right?

Exactly 2? That is odd, it depends on temperature and there is no reason why this specific temperature should give exactly 2.

mfb said:
Exactly 2? That is odd, it depends on temperature and there is no reason why this specific temperature should give exactly 2.
Considering this is an FCC, does 2 phonons = 2 lattice points?

What happens if you take a different temperature, like 100 K or 300 K?

mfb said:
What happens if you take a different temperature, like 100 K or 300 K?
True. So Number of phonons ##\neq## number of lattice points?

Sure.
There can be a temperature where the numbers are similar, but that is a meaningless coincidence.

Likes unscientific

Related to Number of phonons - Which length should I use?

1. What is the significance of the number of phonons in a material?

The number of phonons in a material is a measure of the vibrational energy present in the material. It provides information about the thermal and mechanical properties of the material, such as its heat capacity and sound propagation.

2. How is the number of phonons related to the length of the material?

The number of phonons is directly proportional to the length of the material. As the length of the material increases, so does the number of possible vibrational modes and thus the number of phonons.

3. Which length should I use to calculate the number of phonons?

The appropriate length to use depends on the specific property or phenomenon being studied. For example, for thermal conductivity, the mean free path of phonons is used, while for specific heat capacity, the Debye length is used.

4. How does the number of phonons affect the thermal and mechanical properties of a material?

The number of phonons directly affects the thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, and sound propagation of a material. A higher number of phonons leads to better thermal and mechanical properties, as the increased vibrational energy allows for better heat transfer and stronger sound waves.

5. Can the number of phonons be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the number of phonons can be controlled by changing the temperature, pressure, or atomic structure of the material. This can be done through processes such as doping, alloying, or applying external forces. Manipulating the number of phonons can alter the material's properties, making it useful for various applications.