Electric circuits-2 sources (batteries)

In summary, this student is trying to understand how the electric current flow in a circuit, how the resistance changes depending on the presence of batteries, and how to determine the current if one or both of the batteries are suppressed.
Solmyros

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/3cmnbx
upload_2018-11-24_15-46-56.png

Va=20V R1=3kilo ohm R2=9kilo ohm R3=6kilo ohm R4=7kilo ohm
Vb=5V

It asks for the electric current for every resistance(R1-R4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest the thing i want most is to ask some questions rather that getting the solution.
The questions are the following:
a)The battery source has 0 resistance.As a result a short circuit is created and so the second battery(Vb) source goes out?
And now we have a simple circuit that has 4 resistances in a series?And we solve with the Ix=Va/Rx?

Or maybe the 2 electric circuits from the 2 batteries are added and then flow through resistance R2 and then it goes only through R3??(because R4 and Second battery Vb are out)

Well i really tried but i couldn't find an answer to my questions or i thought i couldnt.Only this way i can get some help for now.And i don't know if i met the requirements you asked.If you have time,please give an analysis over this.I prefer getting to understand how the whole thing with the 2 batteries work,how the electric current goes and how it is affected by the existence of the 2 batteries.

Thanks in advance
Sol

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solmyros said:

Homework Statement

Vb=5V

It asks for the electric current for every resistance(R1-R4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest the thing i want most is to ask some questions rather that getting the solution.
The questions are the following:
a)The battery source has 0 resistance.As a result a short circuit is created and so the second battery(Vb) source goes out?
Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you attempting to use superposition to analyze the circuit?

And now we have a simple circuit that has 4 resistances in a series?And we solve with the Ix=Va/Rx?
If Va is shorted the resistances won't be all in series... try sketching the resulting circuit and simplify it step by step. Your diagram doesn't identify Ix or Rx. Can you explain what they are?

Or maybe the 2 electric circuits from the 2 batteries are added and then flow through resistance R2 and then it goes only through R3??(because R4 and Second battery Vb are out)
If battery Vb is suppressed (replaced by a short) then the circuit is changed. R2 disappears with the short as you've stated, but you need to consider how the resistor pair R3 and R4 are connected. Can you simplify the circuit?

Well i really tried but i couldn't find an answer to my questions or i thought i couldnt.Only this way i can get some help for now.And i don't know if i met the requirements you asked.If you have time,please give an analysis over this.I prefer getting to understand how the whole thing with the 2 batteries work,how the electric current goes and how it is affected by the existence of the 2 batteries.

Tell us what circuit theorems and analysis methods you're learning about and what it is you want to try.

First of all dear Gneill i have to tell you that i really appreciate your help.
Now let me get to the point.So far i have been taught about Kirchhoff's circuit laws and about Ohm's law.However in order to get my questions answered i searched on the net a lot and i encountered some things such as the theories of Norton and Thevenin(from which to be honest i didnt get much) and about the loop method and about node-voltage analysis.I also have no idea about the superposition.

As asked i tried to make the circuit after the short replacements and i found it really hard imagining how it should be.However let me share with you my guesses.

If Va is suppressed i reached somehow to the conclusion that R1 and R3 will be in series.And if we add these 2,then R5(R5=R1+R3) will be in parallel with R2 and R4.This conclusion may be silly but that is all i got

Now if Vb is suppressed,R2 would disappear because the electric current would prefer the "road" with no resistance,right?And the resistances won't be the same with above but with the exception that we won't have R2?

Well to be honest i doubt i got them right.

It would be nice if you explained me how the circuit would be if we put out Va and Vb.
Also if there are 2 "roads" a electric current has encountered.One road has resistance and the other has either a battery or an independent current source,wouldnt the electric current go only to road with the battery-indepedent current source,as there wouldn't be any resistance there?

Again sorry for all these questions but i need to understand everything.Feel free to answer whenever you can people.

Solmyros said:
First of all dear Gneill i have to tell you that i really appreciate your help.
Now let me get to the point.So far i have been taught about Kirchhoff's circuit laws and about Ohm's law.However in order to get my questions answered i searched on the net a lot and i encountered some things such as the theories of Norton and Thevenin(from which to be honest i didnt get much) and about the loop method and about node-voltage analysis.I also have no idea about the superposition.
Superposition is a circuit analysis method that takes advantage of the fact that circuits with passive components form linear systems, and for linear systems the effects of separate stimuli (i.e. voltage or current sources) add linearly. So you can take one source at a time, suppressing the rest, and determine the currents and voltages that it produces throughout the circuit. If you add up all the contributions of the individual sources to each of those currents and voltages then you will have the their values when all of the sources are active at the same time.

As asked i tried to make the circuit after the short replacements and i found it really hard imagining how it should be.However let me share with you my guesses.

If Va is suppressed i reached somehow to the conclusion that R1 and R3 will be in series.And if we add these 2,then R5(R5=R1+R3) will be in parallel with R2 and R4.This conclusion may be silly but that is all i got
The problem there is that R1 and R3 won't be in series. You see that where R1 and R3 join there is another connection, too. That is, R4 connects to that junction (node) also, giving another path for the current through R1 to follow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68986&stc=1&d=1398269815.gif

If you identify the individual nodes of your circuit (contiguous conductor "islands" where components attach) then you can see when there are more than two components connected to a given node. I've colored the nodes in the diagram above for you to see how they are identified.

Note that R3 and R4 are both connected to the same pair of nodes (Blue and Red). That means they are in parallel, and the current I1 will be divided between them as currents I3 and I4 as shown.

Now if Vb is suppressed,R2 would disappear because the electric current would prefer the "road" with no resistance,right?And the resistances won't be the same with above but with the exception that we won't have R2?
With Vb suppressed R2 gets bypassed (shorted) as you say. Then the currents are driven by Va. R3 and R4 are still in parallel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68987&stc=1&d=1398270585.gif

In both cases you can write KCL to sum the currents at the nodes and KVL around the loops to form the equations you'll need in order to solve for the individual currents.

Well to be honest i doubt i got them right.

It would be nice if you explained me how the circuit would be if we put out Va and Vb.
I'm not sure what you mean by "put out Va and Vb". It's probably a language translation issue. Can you describe what you mean in a few words?

Also if there are 2 "roads" a electric current has encountered.One road has resistance and the other has either a battery or an independent current source,wouldnt the electric current go only to road with the battery-indepedent current source,as there wouldn't be any resistance there?
Current sources always drive exactly their designated currents no matter what. They will produce any voltage required in order to maintain that current. Voltage sources will produce or consume any amount of current required to maintain their designated potential difference (voltage) across the circuit where they are connected. You shouldn't think of ideal sources in terms of having resistance or not; they simply provide current or potential difference as specified.

Again sorry for all these questions but i need to understand everything.Feel free to answer whenever you can people.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 735
  • Fig2.gif
    Fig2.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 568
Yes sorry about that.By putting out i meant suppression.However you did answer that specific question few lines above.

Thanks to you sir i went a step forward.Your explanation is good.However what it is said in the last paragraph seems a little strange,but i think i understand it.

Now to get a little better i have to ask 1-2 questions as well.
At first i would like to know if there is any information you can give me about the sources.I mean if i have more than one source in my circuit,what happens next?Does this affect my current?
Can my current meet the negative pole of a source?
can my current meet the negative pole of a resistance(which was first passed by an oppossite current?
why can't 2 currents pass through each other?(with opposite directions)

Sorry if i write it in a way that cannot be understood but this is the best i can do.
Also i know it is tiring for you to read and i shouldn't do it but thank you again.It will be the last time because i don't want to be repetitive

Solmyros said:
Yes sorry about that.By putting out i meant suppression.However you did answer that specific question few lines above.

Thanks to you sir i went a step forward.Your explanation is good.However what it is said in the last paragraph seems a little strange,but i think i understand it.

Now to get a little better i have to ask 1-2 questions as well.
At first i would like to know if there is any information you can give me about the sources.I mean if i have more than one source in my circuit,what happens next?Does this affect my current?
Yes, all sources can contribute to the currents. That's the idea behind Superposition. You can calculate the individual contributions of the sources. The contributions add linearly (be sure to account for the directions of currents when summing).

Can my current meet the negative pole of a source?
Sure. Currents flow through voltage sources. In fact, voltage sources are often the sources of the currents in a circuit. The amount of current flowing out of a source must be equal to the amount flowing into its other end.

can my current meet the negative pole of a resistance(which was first passed by an oppossite current?
why can't 2 currents pass through each other?(with opposite directions)
They can. This is what you are doing when you sum the contributions of different sources using Superposition. If one of the currents happens to flow in the opposite direction to another, then one of them is designated positive and the other negative. The choice of which sign to assign to each is arbitrary, but the choice should be made ahead of time by placing an arrow on the circuit to designate the positive direction of the current, and this choice once made should not be changed in order to keep the equations and sums consistent.

Take a look at the two drawings I gave above and note the directions indicated for the currents. Note that the currents that flow through R1 R3 and R4 as driven by the two sources have opposite directions. You would choose one of the sets to represent the positive direction for the currents.

Just to make this more clear as i don't think i understood pretty well the answer.Here is a cycle i saw a lot on the net.It wasnt for homework.I can post a link to this exact one if any1 wants :P

This is something i saw that confused me a lot due to the fact that couldn't get how the currents would go.An analysis would be great.Here it is: http://prntscr.com/3d0ci9

So here are my questions:
Till now i knew that the current goes from + to -(as it is generally accepted).

1)So now that i have 2 batteries,2 currents will start?One from V1(from +) and one from V2(from +)??
2)If i have n batteries,n currents will start and eventually add up or something?

Now let's leave this and go to another question:

3)Lets say a current starts from V1 and it goes from A to B.When it meats B,it can't go to E becaus e the arrow indicates that the current only goes from E to B.Right?
4)If the current goes from B to C how can it passes the battery?I mean at the beginning we take it that the current goes only from + to -.It is something that all batteries should follow.What happens in that case?Can the current pass the other battery and go to F??

Now some other general questions.

I read on the net that if batteries are in series then i add them(depending on polarity).Now:
5)If they are in parallel and they have different numbers,which will be?The one with the smaller number?I know that if they both have the same number(for example 5 volt) then the result will be 5 V.
6)Also to be able to add batteries etc their joints must end to the same nods?

Moreover:
7)Is there a way to determine the number of currents i will have?
I mean if i have n loops then i will have n currents,one for every loop?
And if i have n nods then i will have n+1 currents?

With these answered my remaining ones won't be many i believe.

Thnx in advance once again

Solmyros said:
Just to make this more clear as i don't think i understood pretty well the answer.Here is a cycle i saw a lot on the net.It wasnt for homework.I can post a link to this exact one if any1 wants :P

This is something i saw that confused me a lot due to the fact that couldn't get how the currents would go.An analysis would be great.Here it is: http://prntscr.com/3d0ci9
That's not a realizable circuit if V1 is different from V2. You NEVER connect in parallel two ideal batteries with different voltages; it leads to (theoretically) infinite currents, and for real-life batteries, can result in fire or explosion.

So here are my questions:
Till now i knew that the current goes from + to -(as it is generally accepted).

1)So now that i have 2 batteries,2 currents will start?One from V1(from +) and one from V2(from +)??
Not necessarily. It is possible for current to flow into the + terminal of a battery if it is being driven by an even higher potential difference than the battery's potential difference. After all, this is how rechargeable batteries get recharged.

2)If i have n batteries,n currents will start and eventually add up or something?
Batteries in series all share the same current (all components in series share the same current). So no, you don't necessarily have n different currents in the complete circuit.

However, you can use superposition and consider the contributions of each source individually. But the individual contributions are not recognized as different currents; they are components of a single net current that all the components sum to.

Now let's leave this and go to another question:
Keeping in mind that your example circuit is physically unrealizable (you might put resistors in branches AB and BC to make it valid),

3)Lets say a current starts from V1 and it goes from A to B.When it meats B,it can't go to E because the arrow indicates that the current only goes from E to B.Right?
Right. An ideal current source defines the current that can flow in its branch, both magnitude and direction.

4)If the current goes from B to C how can it passes the battery?I mean at the beginning we take it that the current goes only from + to -.It is something that all batteries should follow.What happens in that case?Can the current pass the other battery and go to F??
Batteries pass current just fine. They will pass or generate any current required in order for them to impress their designated voltage across the circuit they are attached to. The only thing you need to know about an ideal voltage source is that it represents an enforced potential difference between its terminals.

Now some other general questions.

I read on the net that if batteries are in series then i add them(depending on polarity).Now:
5)If they are in parallel and they have different numbers,which will be?The one with the smaller number?I know that if they both have the same number(for example 5 volt) then the result will be 5 V.
Batteries of different voltage in parallel will be a mess, possibly an explosion. Do not do it. If you see a circuit diagram where two different ideal voltage sources are in parallel (with no resistance between them) then the circuit is wrong. Period.

6)Also to be able to add batteries etc their joints must end to the same nods?
Battery potentials add when they are stacked end-to-end.
Battery currents add when they are connected in parallel (Exactly the same battery voltages only!).

Moreover:
7)Is there a way to determine the number of currents i will have?
I mean if i have n loops then i will have n currents,one for every loop?
And if i have n nods then i will have n+1 currents?
Loop currents are a minimum count for currents; where two loops are adjacent both loop current pass through the shared component(s) and sum to a new current.

Node counts also give you a minimum count for currents, since there may be several parallel branches between any two nodes.

It's probably easier simply to sketch in currents for all branches then count them. Keep in mind that series-connected components carry one current.

Ok now with your help i can see some light.Even though i don't know if i am ready i will try to make an attempt solving the initial exercise i posted here.I will try doing it step by step showing my way of thinking to see what is that i didnt understand good.

Well here is the problem again:
and here is the data:
Vb=5V
and It asks for the electric current for every resistance(R1-R4)

ok let's give a try:

(gneill scrolls down and goes to the attached file :P)

Ok this is my honest try.I have zero confidence about it though.Would be nice if you could tell me once again my mistakes and give the right analysis explaining your thoughts.

As always i have another question:

It is about an independent current source.

1)if in a circuit there is a battery and an independent current souce both elements will "create" currents?The battery because of the potential difference and the independent current source because it is made that way(to produce current)?

2)also if in a route because of this independent source only xmA are allowed,every other current won't go through that route but to another one?

3)can we have a circuit with independent current sources and with no voltage and why?

4)what i should know about the independent current source :P?About their function i mean and how it affects the circuit?

Lol ok.I know i ask many things but well...cant really help it.I need answers to my infinite questions :P

Attachments

• New Doc 8.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 337
Solmyros said:
Ok now with your help i can see some light.Even though i don't know if i am ready i will try to make an attempt solving the initial exercise i posted here.I will try doing it step by step showing my way of thinking to see what is that i didnt understand good.

Well here is the problem again:
and here is the data:
Vb=5V
and It asks for the electric current for every resistance(R1-R4)

ok let's give a try:

(gneill scrolls down and goes to the attached file :P)

Ok this is my honest try.I have zero confidence about it though.Would be nice if you could tell me once again my mistakes and give the right analysis explaining your thoughts.
On the first page of your PDF you claim that R3 is "out" because the path from the right end of R3 to R4 has no resistance. This is not true. All wires are taken to have no resistance and this doesn't "cancel" any components unless the wire shorts them out (is in parallel with the component). Because you've ignored R3 the loop equations that you've written are not be correct.

In this circuit the fact that R3 and R4 share exactly two nodes with their connections means that the two components are in parallel. They will both conduct some current.

For a beginning student who has probably just learned about Ohm's Law, KVL, and KCL, I would suggest labeling all the currents (much like I did in my diagrams above) and then writing KVL loop equations for the three obvious loops and KCL equations for the nodes (junctions). Then solve the simultaneous equations for the individual currents. Trying to guess the paths of currents is not the way to go. Just write the loop and node equations and solve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69038&stc=1&d=1398380146.gif

I will give you a helpful hint: Note that Vb connects directly across R2. What does that tell you about the current through R2 no matter what else is going on elsewhere in the circuit?

As always i have another question:

It is about an independent current source.

1)if in a circuit there is a battery and an independent current souce both elements will "create" currents?The battery because of the potential difference and the independent current source because it is made that way(to produce current)?
They can both cause currents to flow.

A voltage source's only ambition in life is to maintain its specified potential difference. It will source or sink any amount of current in order to force the terminals where it connects to the circuit to maintain that potential difference.

A current source's only ambition is to maintain a fixed current through itself. It can produce any potential difference across itself necessary to maintain that current flow.

So:
Never short-circuit an ideal voltage source (infinite currents will result!)
Never open-circuit a current source (infinite potential difference will result!)

2)also if in a route because of this independent source only xmA are allowed,every other current won't go through that route but to another one?
If I understand what you're saying, yes that's true. Current sources fix the current in their branch. To see what happens at nodes (junctions) where current sources attach, simply sum the currents at the junctions to find out (KCL).

3)can we have a circuit with independent current sources and with no voltage and why?
Sure. Short circuit a current source. Can you figure it out from there?

4)what i should know about the independent current source :P?About their function i mean and how it affects the circuit?
All you need to know is that an independent current source always has a fixed current flowing through it.

Attachments

• Fig3.gif
    Fig3.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 528
Kirchhoff's Loop rule is really all you need to solve this.

You've got 3 loops, which means three equations, and you've also got 3 linearly independent mesh currents. Also, if you go around the loop on the right, you can immediately solve for the current flowing through that resistor.

gneill said:
I will give you a helpful hint: Note that Vb connects directly across R2. What does that tell you about the current through R2 no matter what else is going on elsewhere in the circuit?

Helpful hint huh? :P
i have some guesses but the answer to this may be something i am not aware of, even if it is obvious.
Maybe because it is directly connected to Vb and because you said "no matter what else is going on elsewhere in the circuit",it returns to Vb,instead of splitting into the other routes as well?
if this is actually true,why does this happen?

So the logic here is to just "write down" the currents that pass through every branch(not trying to find them like i did) and then through the equations i will know,right?

Solmyros said:
Helpful hint huh? :P
i have some guesses but the answer to this may be something i am not aware of, even if it is obvious.
Maybe because it is directly connected to Vb and because you said "no matter what else is going on elsewhere in the circuit",it returns to Vb,instead of splitting into the other routes as well?
if this is actually true,why does this happen?
What is the potential difference across R2? What does Ohm's law say about the potential difference across a resistor?

So the logic here is to just "write down" the currents that pass through every branch(not trying to find them like i did) and then through the equations i will know,right?
That's the "entry level" approach to KVL and KCL analysis of a circuit, yes.

it is 5 volt.so I2 will be equal to 5/R2 mA?
Do you mean that?

Solmyros said:
it is 5 volt.so I2 will be equal to 5/R2 mA?
Do you mean that?

Yup, if R2 is in kΩ. So that takes care of the current through R2.

Well ok i just thought there was a trap or something,so you gave a hint.surely my bad :P
Sir,first thing tomorrow i will try again to solve this exercise and hope to do it right and then go a small step further.Good night

Well unfortunately i got off schedule today and didnt have time to post the answer earlier as i planned.Now before i post the answer i have to ask something to see if i did a mistake...in the circuit you posted above,does
I1 equals to I3+I4?

and last but not least if i found a negative current,i am not wrong am i?

Solmyros said:
Well unfortunately i got off schedule today and didnt have time to post the answer earlier as i planned.Now before i post the answer i have to ask something to see if i did a mistake...in the circuit you posted above,does
I1 equals to I3+I4?
Yes.

and last but not least if i found a negative current,i am not wrong am i?

Not necessarily, no. A negative value may simply mean that the assumed direction of the current (the assumption concerning its direction that you made before performing the analysis) was incorrect. The magnitude of the current will be correct.

ok here it is once again.ehh i don't care about the exact results.i care about the equations and the logic.

also one question:

Lets say i have an independent current source in a loop.If i apply kirchhoff's loop law and take the equations about the loop,does the independent current source contribute in any way?i forgot to say that in the exercise i found that Ib is negative

Attachments

• New Doc 9.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
Solmyros said:
ok here it is once again.ehh i don't care about the exact results.i care about the equations and the logic.

also one question:

Lets say i have an independent current source in a loop.If i apply kirchhoff's loop law and take the equations about the loop,does the independent current source contribute in any way?
Yes. It will fix the current in the branch that it's in. In general it can be tricky to us basic KVL when you have a current source in the circuit because you don't know to begin with what the potential drop (or rise) across the current source will be. You need to introduce a new variable to represent that unknown potential, or use a more advanced circuit analysis method (You'll probably see it in your studies soon when you cover mesh analysis. The concept is that of the "Supermesh"). The alternative is nodal analysis, which you should also cover.

i forgot to say that in the exercise i found that Ib is negative
I don't think it should end up negative. Vb will be putting out about 1.66 mA to drive the current through R2, but I1 from your first loop should be slightly larger, and it goes through Vb in the assumed direction.

I've looked at your PDF and your approach is good. There's a problem with your determination of I1 though. Re-do your reduction of the line marked (1). Something went wrong in going from
$$15 = \frac{39 + 43}{13} I_1$$
to
$$I_1 = ...$$

Lol yes what a silly mistake i did.But i don't mind because you said the logic is good.We made it sir!
Now i can move to another kind of circuit.I guess you should expect me tomorrow for more pleasure.good night.

Exercise number 2

I found some things about the nodal analysis and the supermesh you mentioned earlier.Here is an exercise and my solution.I don't care about the results,just the logic and the equations matter to me.Take a look..

Also in the circuit you will see, i want to ask something.Lets call the independent current source(IA) X1 and the other one X2(IB)

X1,R4 and R3 are connected.So are R2,R3 and R4.right?

The question is: Are X1,R4 and R3 connected with X2 and R1?
And are X1,R2 connected with X2 and R1??

i was trying to colour the branches as you did earlier but i didnt know if they must have the same colour.Thnx in advance

Attachments

• New Doc 10.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
Solmyros said:
I found some things about the nodal analysis and the supermesh you mentioned earlier.Here is an exercise and my solution.I don't care about the results,just the logic and the equations matter to me.Take a look..
Yes, it looks like you've got the right idea in general, but there are a couple of things to watch for.

First, be careful about the signs of the potential changes due to the mesh currents. When you sketch in your arrowed loops to designate a loop current, remember that potential drops occur in the direction of the current when flowing through a resistor. Be consistent in this when doing your "KVL walk" around the loop in the direction of the loop current. The loop current of an adjacent (bordering) loop will usually be going in the opposite direction and will create a potential rise rather than a drop in that resistor from the point of view of your "walk".

attachment.php?attachmentid=69111&stc=1&d=1398528788.gif

The second thing to be aware of is that when an independent current source is located on the "outside" of a loop, that is, it belongs to one loop alone and is not shared by any other loop, the only current flowing through that current source is the mesh current of the loop. This means that the mesh current and the independent current source current are identical. They have the same value. If you know the value of the independent current source then that mesh current is automatically solved! When you write your mesh equations for the remaining loops you can simply plug in its known value where required.

In your circuit both IA and IB fall into this category, so mesh current I1 and I3 are solved before you even begin the analysis! Take advantage of this and use I1 = 2 mA and I3 = 17 mA when you build your equations for loops 2 and 4.

Also in the circuit you will see, i want to ask something.Lets call the independent current source(IA) X1 and the other one X2(IB)

X1,R4 and R3 are connected.So are R2,R3 and R4.right?

The question is: Are X1,R4 and R3 connected with X2 and R1?
And are X1,R2 connected with X2 and R1??
Yes. Any time you can find a contiguous wire path between two components they are connected to the same node.

i was trying to colour the branches as you did earlier but i didnt know if they must have the same colour.Thnx in advance

The particular colors are irrelevant. I was simply using them to indicate and draw your attention to the individual nodes of the circuit.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 471
I am not sure if i understand 100% the first thing you mentioned.
So if i understand correctly one loop current will create a potential drop,whereas the other one will create a potential rise.
But where i will need this information in the circuit?
I mean just now i was told to be careful about this,but i don't know how i can use this.

Solmyros said:
I am not sure if i understand 100% the first thing you mentioned.
So if i understand correctly one loop current will create a potential drop,whereas the other one will create a potential rise.
But where i will need this information in the circuit?
I mean just now i was told to be careful about this,but i don't know how i can use this.

When you write a loop equation for mesh analysis, you take what might be called a "KVL walk" around the loop in the assumed direction of the loop current. When you encounter a resistor you add a term to your equation that represents the change in potential as you "walk" over that component. From the point of view of your walk, the loop current is flowing in the same direction as the walk, so that loop current will cause a potential drop across the resistor. But if there is another loop current through the resistor due to a bordering mesh, and its current is flowing in the opposite direction (which is usually the case if you automatically assume a clockwise or counterclockwise direction for all loop currents) then that other current will cause a potential rise as you walk across the resistor.

In the diagram of your circuit which I provided in my previous post, take a look at the colr coded "##+~~~~-##" labels on the resistors. They represent the potential changes across the given resistor due to the currents. The colors of these labels correspond to the colors that I gave the loop currents so you can identify which potential change is due to what current.

When you form your KVL equation you must be consistent in maintaining your "walk" direction and the signs of changes according your initial labeling. This will force the mathematics to be consistent, too.

Likes 1 person
ah yes ok now it is clear to me.thnx for your explanation

Ok i started working with capasitors and inductors and i have a question.
The capasitor is an open circuit to dc,right?

Now the questions:
a)If the current of capasitor is 0 how can it store energy?I know that we use this:1/2 C V^2 but it seems weird that with just stable voltage we store energy.

also
b)if in a branch we have a resistance and then a capasitor(and let's say the current goes from the resistance to the capasitor),the current that pass through the resistance is 0 as well because of the capasitor?

that's all for now :P

Solmyros said:
Ok i started working with capasitors and inductors and i have a question.
The capasitor is an open circuit to dc,right?

Now the questions:
a)If the current of capasitor is 0 how can it store energy?I know that we use this:1/2 C V^2 but it seems weird that with just stable voltage we store energy.

also
b)if in a branch we have a resistance and then a capasitor(and let's say the current goes from the resistance to the capasitor),the current that pass through the resistance is 0 as well because of the capasitor?

that's all for now :P

You should begin a new thread for a new question with new subject matter (capacitors in this case), rather than having this one thread covering all sorts of different questions. Please start a new thread for this topic.

Related to Electric circuits-2 sources (batteries)

1. How do batteries create an electric circuit?

Batteries are made up of two metal terminals, one positive and one negative, and a chemical solution that acts as an electrolyte. When the battery is connected to a circuit, a chemical reaction occurs between the electrolyte and the metal terminals, creating a flow of electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. This flow of electrons is what creates an electric current and completes the circuit.

2. Can batteries be connected in series or parallel?

Yes, batteries can be connected in both series and parallel configurations. In a series connection, the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of another battery, creating a single continuous circuit. In a parallel connection, the positive terminals of all batteries are connected together, as well as the negative terminals, creating multiple parallel paths for the current to flow through.

3. What happens if batteries of different voltages are connected in series?

If batteries of different voltages are connected in series, the total voltage of the circuit will be the sum of all the individual battery voltages. For example, if a 9V battery and a 6V battery are connected in series, the total voltage of the circuit will be 15V. However, this can also be dangerous as the higher voltage battery may discharge into the lower voltage battery, potentially damaging it.

4. How long will batteries last in an electric circuit?

The lifespan of batteries in an electric circuit depends on several factors such as the type of battery, the current draw of the circuit, and the environment in which they are used. Generally, batteries will last longer in low current circuits and in moderate temperatures. However, it is always recommended to replace batteries when they show signs of weakening, such as a decrease in voltage output.

5. Can batteries be used to power any type of electric circuit?

Batteries can be used to power a wide range of electric circuits, from simple flashlights to complex electronic devices. However, the type and size of battery needed may vary depending on the specific circuit's voltage and current requirements. It is important to choose the right battery for the circuit to ensure proper functioning and avoid damage to the circuit or battery.