Electric Field Strength of 10cm x 10cm Charged Copper Plate

In summary, the question asks for the strength of the electric field on a uniformly charged thin copper plate with 1.0 x 10^10 electrons. The formula for the electric field in a conductor is n/Eo, but for a single plate it is 1/2 of this value. However, using Gauss' law, the direction of the electric field can be determined and the approximation of a small distance can be used to calculate the field on a non-symmetrical surface. For an infinite plane, the direction of the electric field is known and Gauss' law can be easily applied.
maccha
A thin, horizontal 10 cm x 10 cm copper plate is charged with 1.0 x 10^10 electrons. If the electrons are uniformly distributed on the surface, what is the strength of the electric field?

I initially went to use the formula given in the text for a conductor where

Electric field=n/Eo

where n is the surface charge density and Eo is the permittivity constant

. I can only get the right answer if I model it as an infinite plane of charge, though. Can you assume that this works even though it's so small?

Physics news on Phys.org
maccha said:
I initially went to use the formula given in the text for a conductor where

Electric field=n/Eo

where n is the surface charge density and Eo is the permittivity constant
That's the equation for the field between a pair of oppositely-charged plates. For a single plate, the field is 1/2 as much.

. I can only get the right answer if I model it as an infinite plane of charge, though. Can you assume that this works even though it's so small?
Yes. You will get the correct E-field right at the surface of the plate. (Moving away from the plate, E will become smaller, unlike the infinite plane case.)

Gauss' law works due to symmetry. If the surface is not symmetric, such as 10x10 plate; then you don't know the direction of the electric field so it wouldn't work. (Unless you can use the approximation that distance is very small).
If the surface was infinite plane you know the direction of electric field will be point up/down so you can use gauss law very easily.

Related to Electric Field Strength of 10cm x 10cm Charged Copper Plate

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength?

The formula for calculating electric field strength is E = F/Q, where E represents the electric field strength in newtons per coulomb (N/C), F represents the force in newtons (N), and Q represents the charge in coulombs (C).

2. How do you measure electric field strength?

Electric field strength can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This meter measures the force exerted on a test charge placed in the electric field, and the electric field strength can then be calculated using the formula E = F/Q.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength of a charged copper plate?

The electric field strength of a charged copper plate is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the plate, the distance from the plate, and the medium surrounding the plate. It is also affected by the size and shape of the plate, as well as any nearby objects that may alter the electric field.

4. How does the electric field strength change with distance from the charged copper plate?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from the charged copper plate increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the plate. This means that the electric field strength decreases rapidly as the distance from the plate increases.

5. How can the electric field strength of a charged copper plate be manipulated?

The electric field strength of a charged copper plate can be manipulated by changing the magnitude of the charge on the plate or by altering the distance from the plate. It can also be influenced by changing the surrounding medium or by introducing other objects into the electric field. Additionally, the shape and size of the plate can also affect the electric field strength.