Electric field through the intersecting part of two spheres

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at all points in the region of overlap for a pair of spheres with uniform charge densities ρ and -ρ located at specific points. The solution requires integrating the divergence of the electric field over the overlapping region, resulting in a final answer of (πρd^3)/(3∈_o). However, this answer may need further clarification and specification of the direction of the field. The principle of superposition is also used to find the net electric field at a point by summing the fields from each sphere.
kopinator

Homework Statement

Consider a pair of spheres of radius R with uniform charge densities ρ > 0 and −ρ located respectively at ~r+ = (0, 0, d/2) and ~r− = (0, 0, −d/2), with d < R.
a)Find the electric field at all points in the region of overlap of the spheres for arbitrary d < R.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law
Gauss's law (integral and differential form) ∇E = (1/∈_0)ρ is the differential form.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made it very far into the problem. I'm still trying to set it up. I believe at some point I will have to integrate from -d/2 to d/2, but that can't happen until I set up the proper equation. Now, I have to find the flux through the overlapping region while there is a uniform charge density, ρ and -ρ. One idea I had was to integrate the divergence of the electric field over the volume, each sphere. This would put me into a triple integral in spherical coordinates and I want to say integrate R^2*dr from -d/2 to d/2 and proceed with integrating sinΘdΘ from 0 to π and dΦ from 0 to 2π.

P.S. I kind of thought all of this out while I was posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
My final answer is (πρd^3)/(3∈_o). This answer seems too simple though. Maybe this is only part of the answer?

kopinator said:
My final answer is (πρd^3)/(3∈_o).
Your answer does not have the right dimensions for electric field. Also, you'll need to specify the direction of the field.

Use the principle of superposition for electric field. The net field at a point is the vector sum of the fields from each sphere alone.

Last edited:
Likes kopinator

Related to Electric field through the intersecting part of two spheres

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle placed in an electric field. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field calculated through intersecting spheres?

To calculate the electric field at the intersecting part of two spheres, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that you can calculate the electric field due to each individual sphere and then add them together to get the total electric field at the intersecting point.

3. What factors affect the electric field through intersecting spheres?

The electric field through intersecting spheres is affected by the charge of the spheres, the distance between them, and the relative sizes of the spheres. The electric field is stronger when the charge on the spheres is greater, the distance between them is smaller, and when one sphere is significantly larger than the other.

4. How does the electric field behave at the intersecting point of two spheres?

The electric field at the intersecting point of two spheres behaves in a similar way to electric fields in general. It follows the principle of superposition, meaning that it is the vector sum of the electric fields due to each individual sphere. The direction of the electric field at the intersecting point depends on the relative positions and charges of the spheres.

5. Can the electric field at the intersecting point of two spheres be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field at the intersecting point of two spheres to be zero. This can occur when the charges on the spheres are equal and opposite, cancelling out the electric field, or when the spheres are positioned in such a way that their electric fields cancel out at the intersecting point.