Electric Potential Energy Question: Electron and Proton accelerating between charged plates

In summary, the conversation discusses equations of motion and solving for distance and time using acceleration values. The net force on the electron-proton system is zero, meaning the common mass centre doesn't move. Using dimensional analysis, it is predictable that the force between the particles can be ignored. The simplified equations and calculations are used to find the distance traveled by the electron and proton. The final result is 3.03E-5 meters.
Sj4600
Homework Statement
The plate separation of a charged capacitor is 0.1112 m. A proton and an electron are released from rest at the midpoint between the plates. Ignore the attraction between the two particles, and determine how far the proton has traveled by the time the electron strikes the positive plate.
Relevant Equations
d= 1/2at^2
F=MA
Ve=0m/s
Vp= 0m/s
Qe/Qp= 1.60E-19
Me=9.11E-31
Mp-1.67E-27

Ive pretty much gathered all of the equations I think I need to solve the problem. I just am stuck. The last step I realize that the forces would be equal to each other so I have mp x ap = me x ae but then when I try to solve for the accelerations. overall I am confused. I have also included some work that I've done
1600496269863.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you write the equation of motion of the electron, can you find out when it reaches the plate?
Given that result, and using its equation of motion, can you find out the distance the proton has traveled up to that instant?

Likes etotheipi
the equation of motion of electron would be 1/2at^2 right ? and how do we know the acceleration and time ?

Sj4600 said:
the equation of motion of electron would be 1/2at^2 right ? and how do we know the acceleration and time ?
Yes. Now, suppose that the electron reaches the plate at time ##t##, then the distance traveled ##\frac12at^2=?## Once you figure that out, can you solve for the time?

Start by solving the problem using ##a_e## and ##a_p## like that. You will be able to use the relation you derived at the end.

Likes Sj4600
Sj4600 said:
How do we know the acceleration and time ?
You won't be able to find a numerical result for either based on the information given, but you don't need to know them because the answer to the problem turns out to be independent of them. Mathematically, they would cancel out somewhere along the way. Generally, you won't always know when this will happen. Sometimes you just have to proceed algebraically for a while and hope for the best.

Likes Sj4600
Ah yess I got it. simplified equations
a1*t^2/2 = s1 and a2*t^2/2 = s2.
so s1/a1=s2/a2
so s1/s2=a1/a2 = 5.45e-4.
where s2=0.1112/2
so s1=0.1112*5.45e-4/2=-->3.03E-5(m)

Thank you for you help!

Likes archaic
vela said:
Generally, you won't always know when this will happen. Sometimes you just have to proceed algebraically for a while and hope for the best.
Then again, sometimes it is predictable, such as by dimensional analysis.
In the present case, the net force on the electron-proton system is zero, so the common mass centre doesn't move.
Note this means it is unnecessary to ignore the force between the particles.

Likes Sj4600
Sj4600 said:
Ah yess I got it. simplified equations
a1*t^2/2 = s1 and a2*t^2/2 = s2.
so s1/a1=s2/a2
so s1/s2=a1/a2 = 5.45e-4.
where s2=0.1112/2
so s1=0.1112*5.45e-4/2=-->3.03E-5(m)

Thank you for you help!
Well done, but I think that you should use 4 significant figures, since you have been given the distance like that.

Likes Sj4600

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential for an object to do work based on its location in relation to other charged objects.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy can be calculated using the equation U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the object, and V is the electric potential. It can also be calculated using the equation U = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are closely related. Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is the potential for work to be done, while electric potential is the potential for work to be done per unit charge.

4. How does the electric potential energy of an electron and proton change when they accelerate between charged plates?

As an electron and proton accelerate between charged plates, their electric potential energy decreases. This is because the electric potential difference between the plates causes a change in the electric potential energy of the particles. The electron's potential energy decreases because it is moving towards a region of lower potential, while the proton's potential energy increases because it is moving towards a region of higher potential.

5. Can electric potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, electric potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. When an object with electric potential energy is allowed to move, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Additionally, electric potential energy can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy, when an electric current passes through a resistor.