Electric Potential of a triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential at point P in a figure with three charges. The first part involves calculating the electric potential each force gives on point P, which the person did incorrectly at first. They then realized their mistake and corrected it. The second part of the question involves finding the speed of a fourth charge released from rest at point P when it moves infinitely far away from the other three charges. The conversation ends with the advice to carefully examine each step and the possibility of making mistakes in either the charge or distance calculations.
dolpho
Find the electric potential at point P in the figure.

http://i.imgur.com/8FNSoML.png

V = kq / r

So what I did was calculated the electric potential each force gives on the point P.

Vp1 = (8.99e^9) (2.75e^-6) / .625

Vp2 = (8.99e^9)(-1.72e^6) / .625

Vp3 = (8.99e^9) (7.45e^6) / 1.25

Vp1 + Vp2 + Vp3 = 39556 - 24740 + 53580 = 68396 V

Would appreciate any help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
What seems to be the problem (you have to actually say)?

Simon Bridge said:
What seems to be the problem (you have to actually say)?

Well my answer is incorrect lol, here's the full question.

Find the electric potential at point P in the figure.

Suppose the three charges shown in the figure are held in place. A fourth charge, with a charge of +6.50 and a mass of 4.20 , is released from rest at point P. What is the speed of the fourth charge when it has moved infinitely far away from the other three charges?

I need to do the first part I think before I start the second but I didn't get the first one correct. Any tips on how to find the electric potential at the point P?

The distance between charge 3 (the top of the triangle) and point P is not 1.25 m.

I've moved this post to the appropriate subforum of "Homework and Coursework Questions." In the future, please use those forums for help with specific exercises like this one. The other forums are for more general discussion.

jtbell said:
The distance between charge 3 (the top of the triangle) and point P is not 1.25 m.

I've moved this post to the appropriate subforum of "Homework and Coursework Questions." In the future, please use those forums for help with specific exercises like this one. The other forums are for more general discussion.

Woops sorry about that! Thanks I made the mistake of putting 1.25 there, I got the right answer thanks!

The way to troubleshoot these things is to go back over each step and examine your reasoning ... in each step there are only two places for a mistake - the charge and the distance. Mind you - just writing numbers down like that creates a kind of blindness.
Good to see it's sorted out though - well done.

Related to Electric Potential of a triangle?

What is Electric Potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy that a charged particle has per unit of charge at a particular point in space. It is measured in volts (V).

How does Electric Potential differ from Electric Field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle at a specific point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at a specific point in space.

How is the Electric Potential of a triangle calculated?

The Electric Potential of a triangle is calculated by summing the Electric Potential of each individual point on the triangle. This can be done using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the Electric Potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point, and r is the distance between the point and the observation point.

What factors affect the Electric Potential of a triangle?

The Electric Potential of a triangle is affected by the charge of each point on the triangle, the distance between the points and the observation point, and the shape and orientation of the triangle.

How can the Electric Potential of a triangle be used in practical applications?

The Electric Potential of a triangle can be used to calculate the potential energy of charged particles in a system, and can also be used to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields in complex systems. It is an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics.