Electric Potential Ranking Task

In summary, based on the positions of the two point charges (+q and -q) and their respective distances, the electric potential at points C and D are equal, while the potential at B is greater than A. The potential at E is also greater than F. The potential at A and B are positive, while the potential at E and F are negative. Therefore, the ranking from greatest to least electric potential is B, A, C/D, F, E. This is due to the inverse relationship between electric potential and distance (1/r), where closer distances result in higher potential.
electricman
In the figure (se attached) there are two point charges, +q and -q . There are also six positions, labeled A through F, at various distances from the two point charges.

Rank the locations A to F on the basis of the electric potential at each point. Rank positive electric potentials as larger than negative electric potentials (left to right).

Anyone who knows?

Attachments

• rank.jpg
    rank.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,298
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? (You must show your work to get help.)

Well, i know that C and D have the same electric potential (because of their position to +q and -q). And B have greater potential than A, and i guess that E have greater than F.

I guess this is right because of 1/r.

If not maybe someone can explain it for me.

electricman said:
Well, i know that C and D have the same electric potential (because of their position to +q and -q).
Good. What does the potential equal at those points?

And B have greater potential than A, and i guess that E have greater than F.
Don't guess, figure it out. (The potentials at E and F are both negative; which is greater?) How does the potential at A & B compare with the potential at E & F?

(You're doing good.)

Hmm, well F should be greater, so the answere should be: B A C/D F E, or?

Looks good to me!

Excellent, thanks for your help :)

Related to Electric Potential Ranking Task

1. What is an Electric Potential Ranking Task?

An Electric Potential Ranking Task is an exercise in which students are presented with a set of charged particles and are asked to arrange them in order of increasing or decreasing electric potential. This task helps students develop an understanding of the concept of electric potential and its relationship with charged particles.

2. How is an Electric Potential Ranking Task different from a regular ranking task?

An Electric Potential Ranking Task differs from a regular ranking task in that it specifically focuses on the concept of electric potential and the arrangement of charged particles. In a regular ranking task, students may be asked to arrange objects based on different physical properties such as mass or size.

3. What is the purpose of using an Electric Potential Ranking Task in teaching?

The purpose of using an Electric Potential Ranking Task in teaching is to help students develop a deeper understanding of the concept of electric potential and its relationship with charged particles. By actively engaging in the task, students are able to apply their knowledge and think critically about the concept.

4. What are the benefits of using an Electric Potential Ranking Task in the classroom?

Using an Electric Potential Ranking Task in the classroom can help students improve their critical thinking skills, as well as their understanding of electric potential. It also allows for hands-on learning and encourages active participation from students.

5. How can I create an effective Electric Potential Ranking Task?

To create an effective Electric Potential Ranking Task, it is important to carefully select the charged particles and arrange them in a way that will challenge students to think critically. It is also helpful to provide clear instructions and guide students through the task to ensure they understand the concept being taught.