Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh

In summary, a student is seeking advice on whether or not engineering software will run on a Macbook Pro and if it is necessary to purchase a PC desktop. They are also interested in hearing about others' experiences with this issue. Some recommended software includes LT-SPICE for SPICE simulation, MATLAB, and knowing how to run Python and gcc through the Mac OS X terminal.
Tpark25
Hello all,

I am starting my sophomore year in EE and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the typical engineering software I may run into and whether or not it will run on a Macbook Pro. Currently I am using one of these as my personal and work computer. I have enough money saved to buy a PC desktop that I would use for work/school. I am not really interested in splitting my hard drive or running bootcamp on my Mac etc.

I am aware that I have not posted my school's curriculum and do not expect anyone on here to tell me exactly which programs I will run into at my school but am more interested in other people's experience with this issue at their own schools.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will almost certainly need to use a SPICE simulator at some time (probably lots of time depending on your specialization) during your studies. I really good, free SPICE simulator is LT-SPICE which is free here:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/?gclid=CLvpremVoMACFQuOaQodJ04AOA#LTspice

It's a great tool, I can't say enough good things about it.

You'll also surely use MATLAB all the time so it may be worth getting the student version.

Lastly, make sure you know how to run Python and gcc through the terminal interface to Mac OS X. That will be very helpful.

1. What is an "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh"?

Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh is a type of software specifically designed for electrical engineers to assist in their work. It includes various tools and features to help with tasks such as circuit design, analysis, and simulation.

2. What are the benefits of using "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh"?

There are several benefits to using Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh. These include increased productivity, accuracy, and efficiency in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It also offers a more user-friendly interface and customization options for a better user experience.

3. Can "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh" be used by non-engineers?

While the software is primarily designed for electrical engineers, it can also be used by non-engineers for basic circuit design and analysis. However, it may require some training and familiarity with engineering concepts to fully utilize its features.

4. Is "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh" compatible with other operating systems?

Most Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh is designed specifically for the Mac operating system and may not be compatible with other operating systems. However, there are some versions that are cross-platform and can be used on both Mac and Windows systems.

5. What are the system requirements for running "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh"?

The system requirements may vary depending on the specific software, but in general, "Electrical Engineer Software for Macintosh" requires a Mac computer with a compatible operating system, a certain amount of RAM and storage space, and a stable internet connection for updates and online features.