Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Economics

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on which subject to pursue for their Bachelors degree among Economics, Computer Science, and Electrical Engineering. They are concerned about graduating during an economic downturn and want to know which subject would be most employable during such times. They also mention their academic achievements and interests. The response advises not to base the decision on economic predictions and instead choose the subject they are most interested in. It is also suggested to acquire secondary skills to increase employability.
Lukas Glatz
Dear PhysicsForums members,
being currently in my final year of Austrian high school I have to decide what to pursue my Bachelors degree in. (Un)fortunately I have three huge interests. Those are Economics, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. All of which are highly fascinating and I thoroughly enjoy reading about those subjects in depth.
Now to the first part of my question. Presumably I will graduate in 2019, which if we think about the economic data of the past will be either shortly before, after or during a recession/depression. I know the times we are living in right now are way different from what we have experienced in the past, but yet I feel like I might graduate during a very bad time, economically speaking. So, which of my subjects of interest would be the best bet in terms of employability during the time of a recession/depression?
Now to the second part of my question. I am, according to my professor in mathematics, eligible to study any of the subjects above, but since I am paranoid could anyone inform me about the level of mathematics, which will be covered in said subjects, especially the latter. Now a little bit more information about myself.
- 18 yrs old
- Straight A's (1's) in all of my subjects
- Attending a school for "gifted" students
- Bad at spatial visualization (according to tests)
- Accepted to two top 20 Uni's in the world for economics (in Britain)
- taking a gap year due to military service

I excuse myself for any mistakes made in the text above, it is already quite late and English is not my native language!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

P.S. I know I should ask in a different forum, because this is a very general question, but I just love this forum and always look for answers here first since a lot of the people on this forum have such a profound knowledge!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, pick he subject you find the most interesting, and study that. Don't try to pick your profession by projecting what may or may not happen to the economy. If people could predict these things then they would be stupidly rich.

Electrical eng. and comp. sci. fit together quite well. You could take an electrical engineering degree and get most of what a comp. sci. degree gets. Or the other way around if you want. The demand for these types of professionals has been fairly strong even through bad economic times. Yes with ups-and-downs, but less downs than some professions.

I know nothing about economics. You should get somebody who does to guide you there.

In any case, the thing to do about the economy possibly going into the toilet is to acquire secondary skills. For example, if you choose economics, you should still learn something about computers as a "plan B." Maybe computer models of economic systems works out for that. Or if you choose comp. sci., you should learn something about the hardware as well as the software. And so on. Diversity and the ability to learn a new skill now and then will give you an excellent chance.

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Computer Science?

Electrical Engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing and developing electrical systems and devices such as circuits, generators, and motors. On the other hand, Computer Science deals with the study of computers and computational systems. It involves designing and developing software and algorithms, and using technology to solve problems and manage information.

2. Can someone with an Electrical Engineering degree work in the field of Computer Science?

Yes, someone with an Electrical Engineering degree can work in the field of Computer Science. Many concepts and skills from Electrical Engineering, such as circuit design and signal processing, are applicable to computer hardware and software development. However, additional education and training in computer science may be necessary to excel in this field.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Economics?

Economics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in finance, banking, consulting, and government agencies. They can also pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, market research, and economic forecasting. Some may even choose to become economists, conducting research and providing advice on economic policies and trends.

4. How do Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Economics intersect?

Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Economics intersect in fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and finance. For example, data scientists use skills from all three disciplines to analyze and interpret large amounts of data. Additionally, the development of computer hardware and software often involves considerations of economics, such as cost-benefit analysis and market demand.

5. What skills do I need to excel in the field of Computer Science?

To excel in the field of Computer Science, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in programming languages. Other important skills include attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, keeping up with the constantly evolving technology and being open to learning new concepts and skills are crucial for success in this field.