In summary, a proton is composed of three quarks: two "up" quarks and one "down" quark. The potential energy of the subsystem of two "up" quarks can be calculated using the formula U = k(q1q2/r12) + 2k(q1q3/r13), where k is Coulomb's constant and q1, q2, and q3 are the charges of the quarks. However, it is important to remember to include the sign of the charges and units when calculating potential energy.
Physics2341313

Homework Statement

A proton is composed of three quarks: two "up" quarks, each having charge +2e/3, and one "down" quark, having charge -e/3. Suppose that the three quarks are equidistant from one another. Take the distance to be 3×10-15 m and calculate the potential energy of the subsystem of two "up" quarks. (MeV)

At first I confused the formula below with [itex] \phi(P) = \Sigma^N_{i = 1} \frac{q_i}{r_i}[/itex] but this is the potential instead of potential energy at a point P with [itex]\phi[/itex]=0 taken at infinity?

Homework Equations

Total electrical potential energy

[tex] U = \frac12 \Sigma_{i=1}^N \Sigma_{j \ne i}^N k \frac {q_i q_j}{ r_{i,j}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For three charges in this arrangement I should just be able to do

[tex] U = k\frac{q_1q_2}{r_{12}} + k \frac{q_1q_3}{r_{13}} + k\frac{q_2q_3}{r_{23}}[/tex]

For the total potential energy should I just not be able to do this? It says this is incorrect but I'm not seeing how given that the total potential energy is just the summation of the potential energies individually and the potential between [itex]q_2[/itex] and [itex]q_3[/itex] should be the same as the potential between [itex]q_1[/itex] and [itex]q_3[/itex] because they have the same radii and charge proportions?

[tex] U = [(8.99 * 10^9) \frac{(\frac23 (1.6 * 10^{-19}))^2}{3 * 10^{-15}}] + 2[(8.99 * 10^9) \frac{(\frac23 (1.6 * 10^{-19})\frac13(1.6 * 10^{-19}))}{3 * 10^{-15}}] [/tex]

Then for the potential energy between both "up-quarks" I should be able to do:

[tex]U = (8.99 * 10^9) \frac{(\frac23 (1.6 * 10^{-19}))^2}{3 * 10^{-15}}[/tex]

Both of these are incorrect, I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is wrong apart from the fact that you missed the sign of the down quark charge and that you are missing units?

I was missing the sign! That was it. I always get confused about whether to include signs or take the absolute value/magnitude. In columb's law we don't use the signs do we? Every time I've tried to use negatives in coulumbs law it came out wrong, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. That's why I assumed the negatives were not to be included here.

This is something you really need to work on then. Usually you should include signs unless there is an explicit reason not to such as the thing being sought is the magnitude of the force. If you are taking absolute values on a hunch you are doing it wrong, you need to think through the reasons behind. (And you need to write out the units!)

MeV !

1. What is the definition of electrical potential energy in a three-quark system?

The electrical potential energy in a three-quark system is the amount of work required to bring together three quarks from an infinite distance, taking into account the interaction between them due to their electric charges.

2. How is the electrical potential energy of a three-quark system calculated?

The electrical potential energy can be calculated using the formula V = kQq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the quarks, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the electrical potential energy in a three-quark system?

The electrical potential energy in a three-quark system is affected by the charges of the quarks, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

4. How does the electrical potential energy change as the distance between the quarks changes?

The electrical potential energy decreases as the distance between the quarks increases, following an inverse square law. This means that as the distance doubles, the potential energy decreases by a factor of four.

5. Can the electrical potential energy of a three-quark system be negative?

Yes, the electrical potential energy can be negative in a three-quark system if the three quarks have opposite charges. This means that work would need to be done to separate the quarks, and they would be bound together by their electric interactions.