Electrochemistry help, ripples in current effecting reaction?

In summary: It may be worth experimenting with different types of electrodes and adjusting the current and electrolyte levels to see if that helps with the iron oxide formation. In summary, the iron oxide formation may be hindered due to factors such as fluctuations in the DC current, inadequate acidity in the electrolyte, high current levels, or impure iron electrodes. Experimenting with different variables may help to determine the cause and find a solution.
Xtensity
I've been messing around with basic electrolysis for the past 3 days making Iron Oxide from nails... So far its instantly successful with a 6v lantern battery, and another combination with 2 9v batteries in series. Well both of those ran dead so my dad let me borrow his 6v/12v battery charger. I hooked the anodes and cathodes up just how I had them previously, and even tried different variations... and there's no Iron Oxide forming... though I know the current is going through because I can measure a current starting at 20 miliamps, which overtime builds to 400+ miliamps.

The Hydrogen gas, Oxygen Gas, and even the Carbon Dioxide(from the baking soda electrolyte), form. There's constant bubbles around the electrodes but there's absolutely no rust forming.

My dad suggested that there could possibly be a ripple in the current which prevents the Iron Oxide from forming... A ripple that the 6v battery or the 2 9v's didn't have.Is there any reason why the Iron Oxide wouldn't be forming anymore but the other chemical reactions are continuing fine? Also somehow the conductivity of the water is increasing... which I think this is from the Baking Soda being electrolyzed into C02 Gas and other metals which get left in the water, though I'm not sure if this would affect the conductivity.

Could "ripples" in the DC current be effecting the reaction? If so how? With the 2 battery combinations the Rust/Iron Oxide started forming instantly, but even with this other set up using the battery charger going for an hour+, no rust forms, yet bubbles still occur at both electrodes. I even tried using several different types of nails as electrodes. Even the original nails that rusted fine do nothing with the battery charger set up.

Any ideas?

edit: I've also tried using nickel electrodes which DO react producing a greenish blue nickel oxide...this is with the battery charger set up... yet the iron oxide reaction does not work with this set up.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There could be several factors that are preventing the iron oxide from forming. First, the DC current from the battery charger may have too much of a "ripple" in it, which can prevent the iron oxide from forming. Additionally, the electrolyte may not have enough acidity to facilitate the oxidation of the iron, or it could be that the current is too high and is causing the water molecules to break down into hydrogen and oxygen before the iron can oxidize. Finally, the iron electrodes may not be pure enough to allow for the reaction to take place. If the iron is contaminated with other elements, such as carbon, the iron may not be able to oxidize properly.

1. What is electrochemistry and how does it relate to ripples in current effecting reaction?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. In electrochemical reactions, the flow of electrons (current) is involved in the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy or vice versa. Ripples in current refer to small fluctuations in the flow of electrons, which can affect the rate and outcome of electrochemical reactions.

2. How do ripples in current affect the rate of electrochemical reactions?

Ripples in current can affect the rate of electrochemical reactions by causing changes in the concentration of reactants and products at the electrode surface. This can lead to variations in the reaction kinetics and alter the overall rate of the reaction. Additionally, ripples in current can also affect the diffusion of reactants to the electrode surface, further impacting the rate of the reaction.

3. Can ripples in current alter the outcome of electrochemical reactions?

Yes, ripples in current can alter the outcome of electrochemical reactions. For example, in the case of electrodeposition, fluctuations in the current can result in uneven deposition of the metal, leading to a non-uniform coating. In electrochemical corrosion, ripples in current can cause localized corrosion, resulting in uneven degradation of the metal.

4. How can ripples in current be controlled in electrochemical reactions?

Ripples in current can be controlled by using a stable power source, such as a potentiostat, which can maintain a constant current or voltage during the electrochemical reaction. Additionally, using a high-quality electrode and carefully controlling the experimental conditions can also help minimize the impact of ripples in current on the reaction.

5. Are there any advantages to using ripples in current in electrochemical reactions?

Yes, there are some potential advantages to using ripples in current in electrochemical reactions. For example, in electroplating, carefully controlling the current can result in a more uniform and controlled deposition of the metal. In electrochemical sensors, ripples in current can be used to amplify the signal and improve the sensitivity of the sensor. However, it is important to carefully control and monitor the ripples in current to avoid any adverse effects on the reaction.