Electromagnetic Cross Section

In summary, the problem involves calculating the cross section for the scattering of a monochromatic electromagnetic wave by a free electron at rest. The cross section is given by the expression of the incident energy density divided by the energy flux, which is related to the Poynting vector. To solve for the energy flux, Newton's second law is used to find the acceleration in terms of the electric field. The cross section also involves taking an average over the initial and final polarizations, which can be done by choosing specific polarizations and taking an average over the azimuth angle.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

A plane monochromatic electromagnetic wave (polarized in x-direction and propagating in the z direction) is scattered by a free electron initially at rest.

vrbthg.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{E}=E_0 \exp(i(kz-wt)) \hat{x}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{B}=\frac{E_0}{c} \exp(i(kz-wt)) \hat{y}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (iv), the numerator of the cross section is the expression given. I'm not sure about the denominator...is it magnitude of the Poynting vector? I'm confused what "energy flux" exactly means in this context.

I have not started (v), yet, but will once (iv) is clarified.

Physics news on Phys.org
The incident energy really is something like ε0E2,where E is the incident electric field for which you can take any given form.Also for calculating next one you have to take an average over initial polarization and final polarization states is calculated with angle θ given for two polarizations and then summed for getting the full cross section.

Last edited:
Isn't [itex]\frac{1}{2} \epsilon_0 E^2[/itex] the energy density in J/m3?

The Poynting vector has the same units as Energy/Time/Area, as required in the denominator. The question said electromagnetic wave, so I assumed there was a magnetic component as well. That's the reason I was thinking about the Poynting vector.

sure,that is why there is no factor of 1/2 but 1(1/2 from electric and 1/2 from magnetic) and also multiply by c to get right units.

Ah ok, that makes sense. But how do I get the quantity in the denominator then?

Hey,sorry for being late but I will not be able to come here for some more days.However I will give enough hints so that you can solve this(Mentors if find any thing then delete it).Now the E electric field which contains in denominator need not be known.Just use Newtons second law to find acceleration(a) in terms of E(that is very simple).use that a to put in numerator,you will see E will be canceled.Now for the next part,the cross section will contain |ε*.ε0|2 term,where ε* for outgoing wave and other ε for incoming one.you will have to take average over the incident one.which will lie in xy plane.just choose it along x-axis say.Also for ε* take two polarization perpendicular to outgoing wave which should be perpendicular to each other also.For example,take first one in the plane defined by incident wave and outgoing wave and second one perpendicular to this plane.Take average over azimuth [itex]\phi[/itex] to solve it.Good luck.
edit-Just one polarization is taken for incident one,but this one will be averaged.

1. What is electromagnetic cross section?

Electromagnetic cross section is a measure of the probability of an electromagnetic interaction between a particle and a target object.

2. How is electromagnetic cross section related to the size of an object?

The larger the cross section, the more likely it is for an electromagnetic interaction to occur between the particle and the object. Therefore, it can be used as an indicator of the size of an object.

3. What factors influence the value of electromagnetic cross section?

The value of electromagnetic cross section is influenced by the type of particle and the properties of the target object, such as its charge and shape.

4. How is electromagnetic cross section measured?

Electromagnetic cross section is typically measured in units of area, such as barns (10^-28 m^2). It can be measured experimentally using particle accelerators or calculated theoretically using quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of electromagnetic cross section in particle physics?

Electromagnetic cross section plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions with other particles and objects. It is also used in the development and testing of theories in particle physics.