Force on a particle in response to an EM wave

In summary: Check your integrals."In summary, the student is trying to solve for the pressure of light using the integrating factors method, but is having trouble getting an exponentially damped transient.
Dishsoap

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of charge q and mass m , free to move in the xy plane in response to an electromagnetic wave propagating in the z direction. Ignoring the magnetic force, find the velocity of the particle, as a function of time. Assume the average velocity is zero.

Homework Equations

## E(z,t) = E_0 cos(kz-wt) \hat{x} ##

I've omitted the phase constant here since I took it to be zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, I tried saying dv/dt = F/m = qE/m, where E is given as above. But I'm not quite sure what to make out of the fact that the average velocity is zero. I suppose this means it moves as a closed loop, so I have no idea what to make of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
As force does not depend on the velocity, you can ignore the average motion for now and find "some" solution. Then you can modify that to get the average motion right, if necessary.

The fourth part of the question says this, though:

"The problem with this naive model for the pressure of light is that the velocity is 90 degrees out of phase with the fields. FOr energy to be absorbed, there's got to be some resistance to the motion of the charges. Suppose we include a force of the form - gamma m v, for some damping constant gamma. Repeat part a (ignore the exponentially damped transient).

I feel like I'm doing this wrong then. Not only did I not use the pressure of light (since I don't have an area), but I don't get an exponentially damped transient. Even if I include the force term, I then end up with something of the form v' + gamma * v = Eq/m. I tried solving this with the integrating factors method, but I do not get an exponentially damped transient, but an exp(gamma*t) term.

Start with the undamped case to see how the motion looks like, you can introduce damping afterwards.

If you get exp(gamma*t) instead of exp(-gamma*t) there is a sign error.

1. What is the force on a particle in response to an EM wave?

The force on a particle in response to an EM wave is known as the radiation pressure. It is the pressure exerted by electromagnetic radiation on a surface due to the transfer of momentum from the radiation to the surface.

2. How is the force on a particle affected by the properties of the EM wave?

The force on a particle is affected by the intensity, frequency, and polarization of the EM wave. Higher intensity waves exert a stronger force, while higher frequency waves have a greater momentum transfer. Polarization can also affect the direction and magnitude of the force.

3. Can the force on a particle be negative in response to an EM wave?

Yes, the force on a particle can be negative in response to an EM wave. This can occur when the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the wave and experiences a drag force, or when the particle is in a region of destructive interference and experiences a net force in the opposite direction.

4. How does the size and shape of the particle affect the force in response to an EM wave?

The size and shape of the particle can affect the force in multiple ways. Larger particles have a larger surface area for the EM wave to interact with, resulting in a stronger force. The shape of the particle can also affect the direction and magnitude of the force due to differences in absorption, reflection, and refraction of the EM wave.

5. Is the force on a particle in response to an EM wave a constant value?

No, the force on a particle in response to an EM wave is not a constant value. It can vary depending on the properties of the EM wave, the characteristics of the particle, and the environment in which the interaction takes place. The force may also change over time as the wave and particle continue to interact.