Electron beam, potential barrier

This is because the kinetic energy of the particles will be higher than the potential energy, allowing them to overcome the barrier and continue through. In summary, to have 40% of the electron beam reflected, the potential barrier needs to be large enough so that the reflection coefficient is 0.4. Making the potential negative will result in less reflection and more transmission of the beam.
rayman123
Electron beam with kinetic energy [tex] E_{k} = 10 eV[/tex] strikes a positive potential barrier [tex] V_{0}[/tex] and the kinetic energy after the beam has passed through the barrier is [tex] E_{k} = (10 eV -V_{0})[/tex].
How big potential [tex] V_{0}[/tex] is needed so that 40% of the electron beam is going to be reflected?
What would happen if we now make the potential negative so the electron beam will gain the kinetic energy?

I would say that the energy of the particles is higher than the energy of the potential barrier, that's why we observe transmission and reflection
solving The Schrödinger equation

[tex] \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x)+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}[E-V(x)]\psi(x)=0[/tex]
then the solutions will be

[tex] \psi_{1}=Ae^{ik_{1}x}+Be^{-ik_{1}x}[/tex] in the region x<0 [tex] k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\psi_{1}=Ce^{ik{2}x}[/tex] in the region x>0 [tex]k_{2}= \sqrt{\frac{2m[E-V_{0}]}{\hbar^2}}[/tex]

the reflection coefficient is [tex] R= (\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^2[/tex]

Can someone help me with the solution?
Is the reflection coefficient going to be 0.4? How to find that value of [tex] V_{0}[/tex][/QUOTE]

I have calculted [tex] k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{9.1\cdot10^{-31}\cdot10}{(6.582\cdot10^{-16})^{2}}[/tex]=[tex] 6.48[/tex]

[tex]k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}= \sqrt{\frac{kg\cdot J}{J^2\cdot s^2}[/tex][tex]=\sqrt{\frac{kg}{N^2\cdot s^2}[/tex]=[tex] \frac{1}{m}[/tex]

then i am trying to solve the equation with R

[tex] R= (\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^2[/tex] to calculate [tex] k_{2} [/tex] and finally calculate [tex] V_{0}[/tex] from the equation for [tex] k_{2} [/tex]

but i am stuck here...

[tex] R= \frac{k_{1}^2-2k_{1}k_{2}+k_{2}^2}{k_{1}^2+2k_{1}k_{2}+k_{2}^2}[/tex]
and then i substitute for R= 04 and for [tex] k_{1}= 6.48[/tex] does anyone know i am correct so far?
if yes, how would you solve this ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would happen if we now make the potential negative so the electron beam will gain the kinetic energy? If we make the potential negative, the electron beam will gain kinetic energy. This means that more of the beam will pass through the potential barrier rather than being reflected.

What is an electron beam?

An electron beam is a stream of electrons that are accelerated to high speeds using electric fields. This beam of electrons can be used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in electron microscopes, particle accelerators, and television screens.

What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is a physical or energy barrier that prevents particles from passing through it. In the context of electron beams, it refers to a region of space where the electric potential is high enough to impede the motion of electrons.

How does an electron beam interact with a potential barrier?

When an electron beam encounters a potential barrier, it experiences a force that depends on its energy and the height of the barrier. If the electron's energy is high enough, it can overcome the barrier and continue on its path. Otherwise, it will be reflected or absorbed by the barrier.

What is the significance of electron beam and potential barrier in semiconductors?

In semiconductors, the movement of electrons is controlled by the presence of potential barriers. By manipulating these barriers, we can control the flow of electrons and create electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

How is the potential barrier in electron beams used in imaging techniques?

In imaging techniques such as electron microscopy, the potential barrier is used to focus and control the electron beam. By adjusting the electric potential, we can manipulate the path of the electrons and produce high-resolution images of samples.