Electron motion in the plum pudding model

In summary, the plum pudding model describes an atom with a positive charge distributed evenly throughout a sphere of radius R, with an electron free to move within. When examining the oscillation of the electron about a mean position, the model breaks down due to its incorrect charge distribution. Gauss's Law can be used to show that the electric field and force on the electron are proportional to its distance from the center of the sphere. This results in an equation of motion that does not match with experimental observations. Further examination of the model's limitations and impact on contemporary measurements may provide useful insights.
jamie.j1989
Hi, I am trying to work out how the electron would oscillate about a mean position in the plum pudding model.

Plum pudding model;
-1 electron atom.
-Positive charge of ##+e## distributed evenly about the volume of the atom of radius ##R##.
-Electron (charge ##-e##) is free to move within the sphere.

My first attempt at this is to take it as a 1D problem with a positive line charge of density ##l=\frac{e}{2R}##. When perturbing the electron along the left side of this line of displacement ##-r##, where the origin is at the centre of the sphere, I evaluated the force on the electron from the two sides to be,

$$F_L=-\frac{e^2}{8\pi \epsilon_0 R}\int_{-r}^{-R}r^{-2}dr=-\alpha\left(R^{-1}-r^{-1}\right)$$.

With ##\alpha=\frac{e^2}{8\pi \epsilon_0 R}##, ##F_L## is the force from the left side charge distribution. And for the right side,

$$F_R=-\frac{e^2}{8\pi \epsilon_0 R}\int_{-r}^{R}r^{-2}dr=\alpha\left(R^{-1}+r^{-1}\right)$$.

Where for both I have taken infinitesimal force ##dF##, to be,

$$dF=-\frac{edq}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2}$$.

Where ##dq=ldr##. So the net force on the electron (##F_L+F_R##) will be able to give us the equation of motion for the electron, which is

$$\ddot{r}-\frac{\alpha}{m}\frac{1}{r}=0$$.

I'm not sure why but I feel like this is wrong, I would expect the solution to the EOM to be simple harmonic but this doesn't seem to give that. Can anyone clarify whether this is an issue with the 1D approximation, or with the workings? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am trying to work out how the electron would oscillate about a mean position in the plum pudding model.
Um... why?

Why not? It's good practice to see where a model breaks down. To what degree does the oscillation of the electron and its emitted radiation from the acceleration about the equilibrium position agree with measured values. Again, it's good practice to know the things that are wrong and why, rather than just what's correct.

Are you familiar with Gauss's Law? If you assume the "pudding" is a sphere with uniform (positive) charge density, you can use Gauss's Law to show that the electric field inside the sphere, a distance r from the center, is proportional to r. The direction of the field is away from the center. Therefore the force on an electron at distance r from the center is also proportional to r, and directed towards the center.

Ahh, didn't even think to use Gauss's law, have got down to an EOM of what I expected

$$\ddot{r}+cr=0$$

Thanks

There were a lot of ways to respond. In order to best answer your questions, it is useful to know what your intended purpose/motivation is.

You have posted a radial eom, orbital motion forms part of Thompson's model too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_pudding_model

Note: it is usually more useful to examine limitations to a model with such a serious flaw (wildly incorrect charge distribution) if its impact of contemporary measuremrnts is examined. ie it was used in early attempts to determine the bohr radius for hydrogen.

1. What is the plum pudding model?

The plum pudding model, also known as the Thomson model, is a model of the atom proposed by J.J. Thomson in 1904. It suggests that the atom is composed of a positively charged "pudding" with negatively charged electrons scattered throughout, similar to the way raisins are dispersed in a plum pudding.

2. How do electrons move in the plum pudding model?

In the plum pudding model, electrons move freely within the positively charged pudding. They are not confined to specific orbits like in the later Bohr model of the atom. Instead, they move in a random and continuous motion.

3. What causes the electron motion in the plum pudding model?

The electron motion in the plum pudding model is caused by the attractive force between the positive and negative charges. The electrons are attracted to the positively charged pudding and are constantly moving to balance out the repulsive forces between them.

4. How does the plum pudding model explain the properties of atoms?

The plum pudding model explains the existence of atoms as well as their overall neutral charge, since the positive and negative charges cancel each other out. It also explains the ability of atoms to combine and form compounds, as the electrons can be shared or transferred between atoms.

5. Is the plum pudding model still accepted today?

No, the plum pudding model has been replaced by more accurate models of the atom such as the Bohr model and the modern quantum mechanical model. These models take into account the discrete energy levels and wave-like behavior of electrons, which were not included in the plum pudding model.