Electrostatic potential and electric field of three charges

In summary, q2 does not have any impact on answering questions (a) and (b), despite being given. It may be meant as a "test charge" with a small value. The phrase "affected by q1 ir q3" may be better phrased as "effected by q1 or q3". The original question may have been designed to make the responder doubt their solution.
Ugnius
Homework Statement
Three point charges, q1=q3=9.5 uC and q2=1.28*10^-18 C are placed as shown in picture
a) How strong in electric field in point (0,0), affected by q1 ir q3 . b)Electric potential in point (0,0) affected by q1 ir q3 charges. Let's say electric potential at infinity is 0.
Relevant Equations
V=kq/r ; E=F/q
1633804692307.png

So I started with b)

1633804818229.png

and it there was no q2 this would seem reasonable
I was wanted to ask , what effect does q2 have on potential of these two charges? Because it has to be given for a reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugnius said:
I was wanted to ask , what effect does q2 have on potential of these two charges? Because it has to be given for a reason.
q2 does not play a role in answering (a) and (b). Your answer for (b) looks correct.

It does seem a little odd that q2 is given but q2 doesn't affect the answer. The very small value for q2 might indicate that it is to be thought of as a small "test charge". But, still, it is not relevant.

The phrase "affected by q1 ir q3" is also a bit odd. "effected" might be better than "affected". And I don't understand "ir".

TSny said:
q2 does not play a role in answering (a) and (b). Your answer for (b) looks correct.

It does seem a little odd that q2 is given but q2 doesn't affect the answer. The very small value for q2 might indicate that it is to be thought of as a small "test charge". But, still, it is not relevant.

The phrase "affected by q1 ir q3" is also a bit odd. "effected" might be better than "affected". And I don't understand "ir".
Yes , sorry , I had to translate statement from my native to English , so I might've done some mistakes. I realized that q2 was just a trick to make us doubt our solutions. I sent it , and it seems to be correct.

Likes TSny
Ugnius said:
Yes , sorry , I had to translate statement from my native to English , so I might've done some mistakes.
OK. That's no problem.

Likes Ugnius

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

The electrostatic potential at a point is calculated by dividing the amount of work done in moving a unit positive charge from the reference point to that point by the magnitude of the charge. This is expressed as V = W/Q, where V is the electrostatic potential, W is the work done, and Q is the charge.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by a charged object and can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the sign of the charge. Electric fields are measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How is the electric field of three charges calculated?

The electric field of three charges can be calculated by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge. The formula for calculating the electric field is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point.

5. What is the relationship between electrostatic potential and electric field?

Electrostatic potential and electric field are closely related. The electric field is the gradient of the electrostatic potential, meaning that the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing electrostatic potential. In other words, the electric field shows the direction in which a positive charge would move if placed in the electric field.