How Does Charge Distribution Affect Electric Field in a Ring?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the electric field created by a ring with a charge distribution given by ψ(θ) = ψo*Sin(θ), and how to find the equipotential lines from the sum of the fields. The attempt at a solution involves finding the electric field elements in terms of θ and integrating to get the overall field vector, but there is not enough information provided to complete the assignment. Additionally, there may be an error in the calculus involved.
Diego Rolim Porto
  • Homework Statement

• A Ring with center in (0,0) and R radius.
  • The charge distribution from the ring is: ψ(θ) = ψo*Sin(θ), where θ is the angle from the x-axis (counterclowise).
    Negative values of the sine determine negative charge, and 0 no charge at all.
  • What is the field (E) created from this distribution (only x and y components)?

Homework Equations

• If there we introduce a constant eletric field, F, in the positive direction of the y axis. How can i find the
    equipotentials lines from the sum of the fields?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the dEx and dEx as a function of dθ, so i could integrate from 0 to 2*π and get the field vector as function of x and y.
I found:
  • dEx = K*ψ(θ)*[x-R*Cos(θ)]*dθ/[ (y-R*Sin(θ))2+(x-R*Cos(θ))2 ]3/2
  • dEy = K*ψ(θ)*[y-R*Sin(θ)]*dθ/[ (y-R*Sin(θ))2+(x-R*Cos(θ))2 ]3/2
  • where K = 1/(4*π*εo) or about 9*10^9 N*m2*C-2
But when i calculate the integration i get 0 for both. Any ideas?
I can add a picture later, i can't now.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is too much missing from the problem statement to complete the assignment.
ie.
What is the orientation of the ring? Is it in the x-y plane?
Where are we supposed to find the ##\vec E## field? only in the x-y plane? (we are only asked for x,y components).

I tried to find the dEx and dEy as a function of dθ,
... you mean you tried to find ##dE_x## and ##dE_y## in terms of ##\theta##
The reasoning usually goes like this: The electric field element ##d\vec E## due to the charge element ##dq## on the ring between ##\theta## and ##\theta +d\theta## is given by ... etc.

But when i calculate the integration i get 0 for both. Any ideas?
Looks like you have done the calculus wrong.

1. How is the electric field of a ring calculated?

The electric field of a ring is calculated using the formula E = kQx / (x^2 + R^2)^3/2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, x is the distance from the center of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

2. Does the electric field of a ring depend on the angle at which it is measured?

No, the electric field of a ring is symmetric and does not depend on the angle at which it is measured. It only depends on the distance from the center of the ring.

3. How does the electric field of a ring change as the distance from the center increases?

The electric field of a ring decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

4. Is the electric field inside a ring zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a ring is zero. This is because the electric field vectors from each point on the ring cancel each other out due to the symmetric nature of the ring.

5. What is the direction of the electric field of a ring?

The electric field of a ring is directed away from the ring in the radial direction. This means that at any point around the ring, the electric field points directly away from the center of the ring.