Energy efficiency, Transformer?

In summary: The voltage at the far end is what the load will see.In summary, the power plant produces energy at a voltage of Vi = 12693 V which is then sent through a transformer with 166 turns in the primary coil and 6917 turns in the secondary coil. The voltage of the electricity sent through the long distance wires is 528900V. The wires have an efficiency of 99.30% and a resistance of 1089 Ω. To determine the current flowing through the wires, an expression for the voltage received at the far end must be written assuming an unknown current is flowing. The definition of efficiency in this context (power transmission) must also be considered.
Daisy

Homework Statement

A power plant produces energy at a voltage of Vi = 12693 V. Before being sent along long distance power lines this electricity is sent through a transformer with 166 turns in the primary coil and 6917 turns in the secondary coil. The voltage of the electricity sent through the long distance wires is 528900V.
If the wires have an efficiency of 99.30% and a resistance of 1089 Ω, what current flows through these wires?

Homework Equations

I have used V=IR. Of which I got V to be 485.67 and I mil

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I got I = V/R to be 485.67 and I multiplied it by 0.993 in order to determine the current flowing through these wires. But I got it wrong. I don't seem to understand what is wrong. Did I use the correct equation? Or was my computation of efficiency incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
R is the resistance of the transmission wires and doesn't include any load resistance at the receiving end. That means your current calculation is not correct.

Instead, start by writing an expression for the voltage received at the far end assuming some (as yet unknown) current ##I## is flowing.

Next consider the definition of Efficiency in this context (power transmission).

I am really confused. What do you mean by voltage received at the far end?

Daisy said:
I am really confused. What do you mean by voltage received at the far end?
Power station at one end of the transmission line, some load at the far end. The transmission line has resistance so there will be a voltage drop between the sending end and the receiving end. Thus the voltage received at the far end is not the same as the voltage at the sending end.

I would like to clarify that energy efficiency refers to the amount of energy that is converted into useful work compared to the total amount of energy consumed. In the context of a transformer, energy efficiency refers to the ratio of output power to input power. In this case, the efficiency of the transformer would be calculated as the ratio of the output voltage (528900V) to the input voltage (12693V). This gives an efficiency of 41.7%.

Regarding the calculation for the current flowing through the wires, using Ohm's Law (V=IR) is the correct approach. However, there may have been an error in the calculation of the resistance (1089 Ω). It would be helpful to double check the values and ensure they are in the correct units (ohms in this case) before calculating the current. Additionally, since the efficiency of the wires is given as 99.30%, the current should be multiplied by this efficiency to get the actual current flowing through the wires. This would give a final current of approximately 483.2 A.

Related to Energy efficiency, Transformer?

1. What is energy efficiency?

Energy efficiency refers to the ability of a system or device to use energy in an efficient manner, meaning it is able to produce the desired output while minimizing energy waste. In simple terms, energy efficiency measures how much energy is used to perform a specific task or function.

2. How does energy efficiency relate to transformers?

Transformers play a crucial role in energy efficiency by converting electricity from one voltage level to another. This allows for the efficient transmission of electricity over long distances, minimizing energy loss. Transformers also improve energy efficiency by reducing the amount of energy needed to power devices, as they step-down voltage to a level suitable for use in homes and buildings.

3. What is the difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation?

Energy efficiency and energy conservation are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Energy efficiency refers to using energy in the most efficient way possible, while energy conservation involves reducing overall energy usage. For example, using energy-efficient light bulbs is a form of energy efficiency, while turning off lights when not in use is a form of energy conservation.

4. How can I improve energy efficiency in my home or workplace?

There are many ways to improve energy efficiency in a home or workplace, such as using energy-efficient appliances, sealing air leaks, and upgrading to LED lighting. It is also important to regularly maintain and service HVAC systems and replace old, inefficient equipment. Additionally, simple habits like turning off lights when not in use and unplugging electronics when not in use can make a big difference.

5. What are the benefits of energy efficiency?

There are numerous benefits to energy efficiency, including cost savings, reduced energy consumption and carbon emissions, and improved air quality. Energy efficiency also promotes energy independence and security, as it reduces our reliance on fossil fuels and other non-renewable energy sources. Additionally, energy efficiency can stimulate economic growth by creating jobs in the clean energy sector.