Energy loss in terms of beam momentum change

In summary, the beam energy loss in the accelerator is expressed as the change in the beam momentum. It is found that the momentum-energy relation can be written as momentum=-gamma*v0 and energy=mc^2(γ-1). It is also found that the beam energy loss can be expressed as $\frac{dp}{p}=-\left(\frac{\gamma+1}{\gamma} \right) \frac{dp}{p}$.
Confused0ne
1. Homework Statement

Express the beam energy loss in the accelerator in terms of the change in the beam momentum.

It is taken from one paper, where
\begin{equation}
\Delta T = \left( \frac{1+\gamma}{\gamma}\right) \frac{T_0 \Delta p}{p_0}
\end{equation}expression is used for transition from one equation to the next one.

Even though it does seem legit, I don't seem to find the way to actually show it mathematically.

Please help!

2. Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy:
\begin{equation}
T= mc^2(\gamma -1)
\end{equation}

Momentum:
\begin{equation}
p= \gamma mV
\end{equation}3. The Attempt at a Solution .

\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\Delta T = T - T_0 = mc^2 (\gamma - \gamma_0)=\gamma_0 mc^2 (\gamma/ \gamma_0 -1)= \\
=\frac{T_0}{p_0}(\gamma m V_0 - p_0)=\frac{T_0}{p_0} (\gamma m V_0 - \gamma_0 m V_0)=\\
%=\frac{T_0}{p_0} \left( \frac{1+\gamma}{\gamma}\right) \frac{(\gamma^2 m V_0 - \gamma \gamma_0 m V_0)}{1+\gamma}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

I have attempted different manipulations from here, but didn't get anywhere feasible.
I have also tried the other way around, starting with the right part of the equation

\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\Delta p \left(\frac{\gamma +1}{\gamma} \right)= (p - p_0) \left(\frac{\gamma +1}{\gamma}\right) = \\
=\frac{\gamma^2 m V + \gamma mV -\gamma_0 m V_0 - \gamma \gamma_0 m V_0 }{\gamma}=\\
=\gamma m V +mV - \gamma_0 m V_0/\gamma - \gamma_0 m V_0
\end{split}
\end{equation}

It looks like, I got only one term $\gamma_0 m V_0$, but I am missing something to finalize the other terms.

What AM i Missing?

Attachments

• confused.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the last line as ##\gamma_0 m V_0 (\dots )##. I guess it needs some approximation at some point (small ##\Delta p##).

mfb said:
You can write the last line as ##\gamma_0 m V_0 (\dots )##. I guess it needs some approximation at some point (small ##\Delta p##).

Thanks for your reply.
Since I need to express \Delta T in \Delta p, I don't see how small \Delta p approximation helps me. As soon as I try something like that (e.g. use p_0 in place of p), it all goes to hell...

γ0mV0(…) doesn't bring me anywhere either...

Hmm okay, the velocity makes it messy. What about ##T^2 = p^2 + m^2## (ignoring factors of c)?

I finally figured it out!

The key is to apply logarithmic differentiation! \\
1)
\begin{equation}
\frac{dp}{p} = \frac{d\gamma}{\gamma} + \frac{d\beta}{\beta} = \left(\frac{\beta^2}{1-\beta^2} +1\right)\frac{d\beta}{\beta}= \gamma^2 \frac{d\beta}{\beta}
\end{equation}\\
2)
Momentum-energy relation can be written as
\begin{equation}
pc= \beta E
\end{equation}

from here
\begin{equation}
\frac{dE}{E} = \frac{dp}{p} - \frac{d\beta}{\beta} = \frac{dp}{p} - \frac{1}{\gamma^2}\frac{dp}{p}= \left( 1-\frac{1}{\gamma^2} \right) \frac{dp}{p}
\end{equation}\\
3)
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\frac{dT}{T} = \frac{dE}{mc^2 (\gamma -1)}
=\frac{dE}{E} \frac{E}{mc^2 (\gamma -1)}
= \left( 1-\frac{1}{\gamma^2} \right) \frac{dp}{p} \frac{mc^2\gamma}{mc^2 (\gamma -1)}=\\
= \left(\frac{\gamma^2-1}{\gamma^2} \right)\frac{\gamma}{(\gamma -1)}\frac{dp}{p}
=\left(\frac{\gamma+1}{\gamma} \right) \frac{dp}{p}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Likes mfb

1. What is energy loss in terms of beam momentum change?

Energy loss in terms of beam momentum change refers to the decrease in the kinetic energy of a particle or a beam of particles due to interactions with other particles or fields. This results in a change in the momentum of the particle or beam.

2. How does energy loss affect particle accelerators?

Energy loss can have a significant impact on the performance of particle accelerators. It can result in a decrease in the energy and intensity of the particle beam, which can affect the accuracy and precision of experiments or applications that use the beam.

3. What are the main causes of energy loss in particle accelerators?

The main causes of energy loss in particle accelerators include synchrotron radiation, beam scattering, and interactions with residual gas particles in the beam's path. These effects can lead to a decrease in the beam's momentum and energy.

4. How is energy loss measured in particle accelerators?

Energy loss can be measured using various techniques, including energy loss spectroscopy, beam position monitors, and beam profile monitors. These methods allow scientists to determine the amount of energy lost by the beam and identify potential sources of energy loss.

5. Can energy loss be minimized in particle accelerators?

While energy loss is an inevitable phenomenon in particle accelerators, it can be minimized through various techniques. These include optimizing the beam's trajectory, reducing the number of interactions with other particles, and improving vacuum conditions to decrease interactions with residual gas particles.