Engineer charged with money laundering in Germany

They have to be confidential and can give you advice on how to react if they find out or if you have to tell them.In summary, the individual in this conversation is currently studying for a master's degree in electrical and management engineering in Germany. They have been informed by their lawyer that they may be charged with multiple counts of money laundering from the previous year and are concerned about how this may affect their job prospects. It is noted that employers in Germany typically do not request background checks, but some may search for potential candidates online. It is also mentioned that being convicted of a serious crime like money laundering could have serious repercussions on one's ability to find employment. It is recommended that the individual seeks legal advice on how to handle this situation and
hokus_pokus_brokus
hello guys I am in a tight corner... i am a currently doing a master in electrical and management engineering and i am about to be charged with 3 cases(or more) of money laundry which happened within a short period of time last year and my lawyer said it could get into my record of good conduct... my question is would it affect my job prospects here in Germany? i should be graduating summer next year with my masters. I just wanted to know what my chances are... (you all can be sarcastic if you want but honestly i am very worried... feeling like my future is doomed )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally employers do not request a background check (except places like airports and similar critical locations), so probably nobody will recognize. On the other hand, some HR managers surf the internet for potential candidates, and you won't be able to keep your name out of the news, even if only the local. For a future company to hire you, this is a serious problem, as it would affect the company as a whole. This leaves you with two possibilities: play ouvert or hide it? There is a chance you can hide it, but if it should be discovered later on, it could cost you the job. I would in any case ask a lawyer, whether you are supposed to reveal it in a job interview or not: voluntarily or if asked. In my experience it is better to play with all facts on the desk.

In the end you can hope for a minor sentence, IIRC two years and on parole are the margin here, in which case you will be lucky.

To the OP:

I am not from Germany and so am unfamiliar with your country's laws in this regard (I would hope that PF members from Germany can weigh in here), but money laundering is a very serious criminal charge, and which in North American countries like Canada or the US can lead to potentially severe legal penalties (including lengthy prison sentences and hefty fines).

Given the serious nature of the criminal charges, if you were convicted of these charges, yes, it could have serious repercussions on your ability to find employment in many sectors regardless of what country you are seeking employment in.

It is not the job of PF to provide legal advice, but I would strongly recommend you to speak to your lawyer about this and all other issues related to your charges and carefully weigh in his/her advice.

Likes russ_watters
hokus_pokus_brokus said:
hello guys I am in a tight corner... i am a currently doing a master in electrical and management engineering and i am about to be charged with 3 cases(or more) of money laundry which happened within a short period of time last year and my lawyer said it could get into my record of good conduct... my question is would it affect my job prospects here in Germany? i should be graduating summer next year with my masters. I just wanted to know what my chances are... (you all can be sarcastic if you want but honestly i am very worried... feeling like my future is doomed )
StatGuy2000 said:
I am not from Germany and so am unfamiliar with your country's laws in this regard (I would hope that PF members from Germany can weigh in here), but money laundering is a very serious criminal charge, and which in North American countries like Canada or the US can lead to potentially severe legal penalties (including lengthy prison sentences and hefty fines).
Looks like Germany is cracking down on money laundering, for a number of good reasons...

https://www.occrp.org/en/27-ccwatch...-money-laundering-agency-gets-needed-overhaul

Likes dlgoff
In the US at least - don't know about Germany - it is a huge difference between being charged with a crime and convicted of a crime. The former usually has no penalties. The latter has serious implications in finding a job, particularly if it led to jail or prison.

In the US, if you are a member of FINRA (www.finra.org) the governing association of the (non-bank, non insurance industry) financial industry, even being _charged_ with a financial crime or a crime involving a 'breach of trust' requires a public disclosure filing and can be an effective bar to many jobs and opportunities.

I suspect that there are similar requirements for banking and insurance, as well as other professions, including ABA affiliated attorneys and Certified Public Accountants.

diogenesNY

I worked once in Germany in a job that required a ertificate of conduct (F\"urungszeugnis). What I understood from it, it contained all convictions of the past 5 years, only heavy crime (murder, terrorism, child abuse) of the last 20 years and war crimes never expire. But most employers outside certain areas (finance, justice, security) probably won't ask.

fresh_42 said:
This leaves you with two possibilities: play ouvert or hide it? There is a chance you can hide it, but if it should be discovered later on, it could cost you the job. I would in any case ask a lawyer, whether you are supposed to reveal it in a job interview or not: voluntarily or if asked. In my experience it is better to play with all facts on the desk.
If the company does not ask about it (in one way or another) why would you bring it up?

Maybe slightly unethical but perfectly legal: Would a job outside Germany be an option? If they ask you about convictions anywhere you still have to mention it (if you get convicted) but some companies seem to only care what happens in "their" country.

Anyway: Ask a lawyer.

1. What is money laundering?

Money laundering is the process of disguising the source of illegally obtained money by transferring it through a series of transactions or investments in order to make it appear as though it came from a legitimate source.

2. What does it mean for an engineer to be charged with money laundering?

Being charged with money laundering means that the engineer is accused of participating in illegal activities, such as fraud or embezzlement, and attempting to conceal the profits by moving them through various financial transactions.

3. What are the penalties for money laundering in Germany?

In Germany, the penalties for money laundering can include fines, imprisonment, or both. The severity of the punishment depends on the amount of money involved and the specific circumstances of the case.

4. How does money laundering impact society?

Money laundering can have a negative impact on society in multiple ways. It can contribute to the growth of organized crime, undermine the integrity of financial systems, and potentially fund illegal activities such as terrorism.

5. What are the steps in a money laundering investigation?

A money laundering investigation typically involves gathering evidence, tracking financial transactions, and identifying individuals or organizations involved in the illegal activity. It may also involve cooperation with international authorities and the use of financial intelligence tools.