How Do You Derive the Distance Traveled by a Projectile in a Viscous Liquid?

In summary: Sorry theIn summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a projectile fired into a viscous liquid. The retarding force is proportional to the square of the velocity, leading to a differential equation that needs to be solved in order to find the distance and time required for the projectile to reduce its velocity to half of its initial velocity. One person has found the expression for the distance and time, but is unable to solve for the first part of the problem. They have tried using the equation for constant acceleration but it does not apply in this case. The other person suggests using "separation of variables" to solve the differential equation, but the person struggling with the problem is not familiar with this technique. They continue to ask for guidance and
romiomustdie
i have found out the second answer of the PHYSICS problem but unable to solve the first part.i tried all possible ways.:-(
----------------------------------------------
a test projectile is fired horizontally into a viscous liquid with a velocity Vo . The retarding force is proportional to the square of the velocity, so that the accelaration becomes , a=-kV^2.

Derive an expression for the distance D traveled in the liquid and the corrosponding time required to reduce the velocity to Vo/2.Neglect any vertical motion.

Ans. 1. D=0.693/K
2. t=1/(kVo).(I solved for the second answer, but am unable to solve for the first one...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
romiomustdie said:
i have found out the second answer of the PHYSICS problem but unable to solve the first part.i tried all possible ways.:-(
----------------------------------------------
a test projectile is fired horizontally into a viscous liquid with a velocity Vo . The retarding force is proportional to the square of the velocity, so that the accelaration becomes , a=-kV^2.

Derive an expression for the distance D traveled in the liquid and the corrosponding time required to reduce the velocity to Vo/2.Neglect any vertical motion.

Ans. 1. D=0.693/K
2. t=1/(kVo).
What have you tried?

a= - kVo^2

Since a=dv/dt

So,
Vo/t = - kVo^2
or, t= - 1/(kVo)
or, t = 1/(kVo) , as time can't be negative.

Attachments

• IMG_20151004_181622.jpg
    IMG_20151004_181622.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 394
... and, for d?

romiomustdie said:
a= - kVo^2

Since a=dv/dt

So,
Vo/t = - kVo^2
or, t= - 1/(kVo)
or, t = 1/(kVo) , as time can't be negative.
This solution to the differential equation is incorrect. The differential equation reads:

$$\frac{dV}{dt}=-kV^2$$

Note that there are V's on both sides of the equation. Do you know how to solve such an equation? If so, let's see.

Chet

sorry then its totally wrong i don't know what to do now...please advice ,,, the first part to find distance feels impossible to find , getting no clues where to start

and tomorrow is my exam , god knows if this comes in exam , its in the suggestion which means it can come in exam , i am striving with this math for four days ...... :-(

romiomustdie said:
and tomorrow is my exam , god knows if this comes in exam , its in the suggestion which means it can come in exam , i am striving with this math for four days ...... :-(
Are you taking, or have you taken a course in differential equations? If so, then you know you can solve the differential equation in post #5 using "separation of variables."

Chet

i have just started with calculas in class , and have not got into depth yet so may be that's why not able to solve it , but how will i find distance using the differential equation
. i am not taking any course but i am in std X

I have to find the distance but how ? ?

normal v^2 = u^2 - 2aS , is not working .
where v= final velocity
u= initial velocity
a=accelaration
S= distance

what to do ? ? ? :-(

dv/dt=- k v^2
or, 1/v^2 dv = -k dt
or, v^ -2 dv = - k dt
integrating both sides we get
v^(-2+1)/-2+1 = - kt
or,v^-1 = kt
or, t = 1/kv

if v = Vo
then , t = 1/kVo

this is the second part i think but what about the 1st part . i am so much in dispair ...what to do please help ?

romiomustdie said:
normal v^2 = u^2 - 2aS , is not working .
where v= final velocity
u= initial velocity
a=accelaration
S= distance

what to do ? ? ? :-(

That equation only applies when acceleration is constant which isn't the case in this problem.

See posts #5 and #8 and look up "separation of variables" as Chester suggests.

romiomustdie said:
dv/dt=- k v^2
or, 1/v^2 dv = -k dt
or, v^ -2 dv = - k dt
integrating both sides we get
v^(-2+1)/-2+1 = - kt
or,v^-1 = kt
This equation is incorrect. You forgot to include the constant of integration. You can determine the constant of integration by making use of the initial condition, v = Vo at t = 0.
So, using this, what equation do you get for the velocity?

Chet

Could you find the distance?

romiomustdie said:
Could you find the distance?
You would have to next integrate the velocity to get the distance.

Likes romiomustdie
IMG_20151009_155128.jpg

Sorry I did mistake

romiomustdie said:
Sorry I did mistake
It should be as follows

IMG_20151009_155800.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151009_155800.jpg
    IMG_20151009_155800.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 388
romiomustdie said:
It should be as follows
Before you integrate the velocity to get the distance, you first need to get the equation for the velocity correct. So far it's not correct. See post #14.

Chet

Ya I had mistaken first bt how about the last upload

romiomustdie said:
Ya I had mistaken first bt how about the last upload
In that last upload, you starting equation is still incorrect. Did you upload the wrong file?

oh i got it u mean to say the derived equation for velocity is incorrect as i ignored constant of integration . but taking v=Vo , will not the constant of integration be equal to 0

or else how it should be ? please state

romiomustdie said:
or else how it should be ? please state
The problem statement says that the velocity is V0 at time t = 0. You need to make use of this fact in your equation for the velocity. I don't see any V0 in your equation for velocity.

Chet

IMG_20151009_164032.jpg

romiomustdie said:
Sorry the image turned
I can't read it. The equation for the velocity is:$$V=\frac{V_0}{(1+V_0kt)}$$

i didnt get the equation ... how did you get the above equation ?

ok got it

but how will i get a numerical value like 0.693 in numerator by splving this . i am not getting what to do , ?

but how will i get a numerical value like 0.693 in numerator by solving this by integration to obtain S .

i am not getting what to do , ? Totally puzzed , please do the rest please

Start by using the velocity equation to find the time at which the velocity is half its initial value.

Chet