Engineering Physics: Job Market & Graduate School Info for HS Seniors

In summary: This means you have about two years to take your core courses and decide if you want to change your major. You can also take some courses that count towards both majors and then decide which one you want to stick with. However, it is always best to consult with your academic advisor to see what options are available to you.
Meron
I am, currently, a senior in high school. I am interested in science and particularly in physics. So, I, naturally, want to major in physics when I go to University. But I'm not sure if I want to be a physicist when i grow up and I have also heard about how getting into academia is very hard and usually not possible. Is Engineering Physics a good alternative? How's the job market for a graduate in Engineering physics? Can I go to graduate school and major in physics if I get a bachelor's degree in Engineering Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most job markets are local. You will be better advice from people familiar with your local job markets.

If you want to go to graduate school in physics, a straight BS in physics would be preferred to engineering physics. You will likely do better on the PGRE and be better prepared for graduate courses in Mechanics, E&M, Quantum Mechanics, and Statistical Mechanics.

Meron said:
I am, currently, a senior in high school. I am interested in science and particularly in physics. So, I, naturally, want to major in physics when I go to University. But I'm not sure if I want to be a physicist when i grow up and I have also heard about how getting into academia is very hard and usually not possible. Is Engineering Physics a good alternative? How's the job market for a graduate in Engineering physics? Can I go to graduate school and major in physics if I get a bachelor's degree in Engineering Physics?

The main difference I've noted between E. Physics and Physics is that the former involves more 'hands-on' work. Your course load may involve more programming, an emphasis on experimentation, or possibly even some work with machine tools or what I'm going to call device fabrication.

Meron said:

Engineering physics is another way of saying applied physics, it's typically part of engineering department. They call it engineering physics to have the program a part of the ABET accreditation scheme, although the programs can vary immensely between schools. Some programs are more like an engineering (EE ME CE) program with a minor in physics, while others are like a BS in physics with a minor in some field of engineering.

If you want to go to graduate school for applied physics, then engineering physics is the degree to seek. If you want to go to graduate school for physics, then it's really dependent on the EP program if you'd be adequately prepared or not. As an aside, it's always easier to go to graduate school in the program you got your bachelors in, so if you know you want to go to graduate school for physics, then get a physics bachelors.

The engineering physics degree would be more employable as a terminal bachelors, although no employer is actively seeking EP majors (or even know what they are more often than not). You'd be able to apply to jobs that specified entry level engineers that some of your course work covered. You could do the same with a bachelors in physics, but with much less success.

Student100 said:
Engineering physics is another way of saying applied physics, it's typically part of engineering department. They call it engineering physics to have the program a part of the ABET accreditation scheme, although the programs can vary immensely between schools. Some programs are more like an engineering (EE ME CE) program with a minor in physics, while others are like a BS in physics with a minor in some field of engineering.

If you want to go to graduate school for applied physics, then engineering physics is the degree to seek. If you want to go to graduate school for physics, then it's really dependent on the EP program if you'd be adequately prepared or not. As an aside, it's always easier to go to graduate school in the program you got your bachelors in, so if you know you want to go to graduate school for physics, then get a physics bachelors.

The engineering physics degree would be more employable as a terminal bachelors, although no employer is actively seeking EP majors (or even know what they are more often than not). You'd be able to apply to jobs that specified entry level engineers that some of your course work covered. You could do the same with a bachelors in physics, but with much less success.
Is it possible for me to transfer my major form EP to physics while I'm an undergraduate ?

Meron said:
Is it possible for me to transfer my major form EP to physics while I'm an undergraduate ?

It depends on the school you attend, typically you aren't "locked" into your major until the start of your third year.

Likes Meron

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve complex problems in various industries, such as aerospace, electronics, and energy. It involves the application of physics concepts to design, develop, and improve technologies and systems.

2. What career opportunities are available for engineering physics graduates?

Engineering physics graduates have a wide range of career options, including research and development, product design, system analysis, and technical consulting. They can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and healthcare, or pursue further education in graduate school.

3. What is the job market like for engineering physics graduates?

The job market for engineering physics graduates is strong and growing. With their broad skill set and knowledge of both physics and engineering, they are highly sought after by various industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of physicists and engineers is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in engineering physics?

A graduate degree in engineering physics can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of interest, making graduates more competitive in the job market. It can also open up opportunities for higher-paying positions and leadership roles in research and development.

5. What should high school seniors do to prepare for a degree in engineering physics?

High school seniors interested in pursuing a degree in engineering physics should focus on taking courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They should also participate in science and engineering competitions, internships, and research projects to gain hands-on experience and demonstrate their interest in the field.