Engineering vs B.Sc. for Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Prem1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning about quantum mechanics and general relativity in an engineering program. The speaker expresses doubts about these theories being taught in detail in their mechanical engineering 1st year physics book and wonders if they will be covered more deeply in later years of engineering. It is suggested that taking post graduation courses or a pure physics degree may be necessary to gain a deeper understanding of these theories. However, it is also noted that engineering is a more vocationally oriented degree and may not cover these topics as extensively as a pure physics degree. Overall, the conversation highlights that the level of physics taught in engineering may vary depending on the university and the focus is more on practical skills rather than theoretical knowledge.
Prem1998
I'm interested in topics like quantum mechanics and general relativity. I want to do engineering but I doubt if these theories are taught to them in detail. I have a mechanical engineering 1st year physics book and it has basics of special relativity and quantum mechanics and just 2 pages on general relativity. But those books do not contain the math of these theories. So, will these theories be taught a little deeper in later years of engineering? I think engineers are only taught more practical things (mostly Newtonian mechanics).
Should I do BTech or BSc to get a deep understanding of these theories? OR Should I do post graduation courses on Physics after BTech to get into these theories?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prem1998 said:
I think engineers are only taught more practical things (mostly Newtonian mechanics)
Yes, QM or GR was not mentioned even once in the four years of my BE (mech.).

why not check for yourself? Most universities have all the course descriptions for all their degrees online.

Prem1998 said:
So, will these theories be taught a little deeper in later years of engineering?

I would be very surprised if they were.

Do you want to be an engineer and understand these theories better? I would be surprised if you couldn't just take some of these courses as electives.

I suppose the university might make a difference too. I go to one of those research universities, and I often hear criticism for being too theoretical for engineers.

You will learn about technology (the science behind it, how to create new ones, the skills needed for the systems) in engineering. Some basic science at the bachelor level and a decent amount of mathematics depending on the universities you attend but nothing compared to the level of physics in a pure physics degree... so such exotic physics topics will probably not be taught at the bachelor degree level unless you do the new degree known as "engineering physics".

Remember that engineering is a vocationally oriented degree. The skills and knowledge taught is very different.

Many students often don't know what engineering is, until they start studying it, and I believe so far I can say the above description has held true for me. It is fun but I would like to continue to something more theoretical after this :) I attend an average university but have never seen quantum mechanics as part of a mechanical/ electrical/chemical engineering bachelor.

Last edited:

Related to Engineering vs B.Sc. for Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity

1. What is the difference between engineering and a B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity?

Engineering is a broad field that involves the application of mathematics and science principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. A B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity, on the other hand, is a specialized degree that focuses on the fundamental theories and principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which are branches of physics that study the behavior of matter and energy at a very small and very large scale, respectively.

2. Which degree is more suitable for a career in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity?

Both engineering and a B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity can lead to a career in this field. However, a B.Sc. may be more suitable for those who want to pursue research and academia in quantum mechanics and general relativity, while engineering may be better for those interested in applying these principles to practical real-world problems and developing new technologies.

3. Can I study Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity with an engineering degree?

Yes, you can study quantum mechanics and general relativity with an engineering degree. Many engineering programs offer courses in physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity. However, if you want to focus solely on these topics, a B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity may be a more suitable option.

4. Which degree has a higher demand in the job market?

Both engineering and a B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity have high demand in the job market, but for different reasons. Engineers are in demand for their problem-solving skills, technical knowledge, and ability to design and build solutions to complex problems. A B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity may be in demand for research and development roles in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology.

5. Can I pursue a career in both engineering and Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in both fields. Some engineers may use their knowledge of quantum mechanics and general relativity in their work, such as in the development of advanced technologies. Others may choose to switch to a career in research or academia in these fields after gaining experience in engineering. It is also possible to pursue a dual degree in engineering and a B.Sc. in Quantum Mechanics & General Relativity.