How Is the Enthalpy Balance Equation Derived for Chemical Reactions?

In summary, the simple enthalpy balance equation for chemical reactions, ΔH_{\textrm{Reaction}}^0 = \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Products}}^0 - \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Reactants}}^0, is a well-defined physical quantity that is used to model heat effects in actual processes involving chemical reactions. It is not derived from the general energy balance equation, but it can be applied in closed systems at constant temperature and 1 atm pressure. Enthalpy is a physical property of each material involved and is not related to any specific process or piece of equipment. Hess' Law is used to apply this equation in practice.
MexChemE
Hello PF! I have a very short question. We're currently doing enthalpy balances for chemical reactions in our Thermo class. We are using the simple enthalpy balance equation:
[tex]\Delta H_{\textrm{Reaction}}^0 = \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Products}}^0 - \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Reactants}}^0[/tex]
My question is, is this equation derived from the general energy balance equation, adjusted in some way for chemical reactions?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
MexChemE said:
Hello PF! I have a very short question. We're currently doing enthalpy balances for chemical reactions in our Thermo class. We are using the simple enthalpy balance equation:
[tex]\Delta H_{\textrm{Reaction}}^0 = \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Products}}^0 - \sum \Delta H_{\textrm{Reactants}}^0[/tex]
My question is, is this equation derived from the general energy balance equation, adjusted in some way for chemical reactions?
No. ΔH0 refers to the change in enthalpy at constant temperature and 1 atm pressure, starting out with pure reactants at T and 1 atm, and ending up with pure products at T and 1 atm. To measure this, you need to dream up a process in which the reactants and products move between these states, and you measure the amount of heat you have to add so that the final temperature matches the initial temperature. That's the definition of ΔH0. Often, if you have tables of heats of formation that include the reactants and products participating in the particular reaction, you can determine the heat of the reaction from these.

Chet

So, it is not a "real" balance in the same vein as an energy or mass balance, just a useful mathematical tool?

MexChemE said:
So, it is not a "real" balance in the same vein as an energy or mass balance, just a useful mathematical tool?
I wouldn't put it in those words. It's a well-defined physical quantity that is used to model heat effects in actual processes involving chemical reactions.

Chet

Got it. Thanks!

MexChemE said:
I might also mention that, for a reaction mixture involving ideal gases, since the heat of mixing of ideal gases is zero, delta H zero applies directly to the mixture as well as to starting and ending with the pure products and reactants.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I wouldn't put it in those words. It's a well-defined physical quantity that is used to model heat effects in actual processes involving chemical reactions.

Chet

Yes, I think I didn't express myself correctly, I know ΔH0 is a well defined quantity. What I meant was that the enthalpy balance equation I wrote in the OP was developed exclusively for chemical reactions, independently of the general energy balance equation, is this right? Sorry, I should have watched my writing.

MexChemE said:
Yes, I think I didn't express myself correctly, I know ΔH0 is a well defined quantity. What I meant was that the enthalpy balance equation I wrote in the OP was developed exclusively for chemical reactions, independently of the general energy balance equation, is this right? Sorry, I should have watched my writing.
Sorry, I still don't follow. Are you asking how you include chemical reactions in the general energy balance equation for a piece of equipment? The equation you wrote in the OP is the definition of the quantity known as the heat of reaction, and is not necessarily related to any specific heat balance. However, if you carry out a reaction in a closed system at constant temperature and 1 atm pressure, then the quantity in your OP equation is also the heat you have to add to hold the system at constant temperature. Don't forget that enthalpy is a physical property of each of the materials involved, and is not related to any specific process or piece of equipment.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are you asking how you include chemical reactions in the general energy balance equation for a piece of equipment?
Yes, this was my original question.
Chestermiller said:
The equation you wrote in the OP is the definition of the quantity known as the heat of reaction, and is not necessarily related to any specific heat balance.
Now it's crystal clear.
Chestermiller said:
Don't forget that enthalpy is a physical property of each of the materials involved, and is not related to any specific process or piece of equipment.
This statement is related to Hess' Law, right?

MexChemE said:
This statement is related to Hess' Law, right?
Yes. Hess' Law is how it's applied in practice.

Chet

1. What is the enthalpy balance equation?

The enthalpy balance equation is a thermodynamic equation that represents the conservation of energy in a system. It relates the change in enthalpy of a system to the heat transferred and work done on or by the system.

2. How is the enthalpy balance equation used in scientific research?

In scientific research, the enthalpy balance equation is used to analyze and understand the energy changes that occur in a system during a chemical reaction or physical process. It can also be used to calculate the heat transfer and work done in a system, which is essential in designing and optimizing various industrial processes.

3. What are the components of the enthalpy balance equation?

The enthalpy balance equation consists of three main components: the change in enthalpy (ΔH), the heat transferred (Q), and the work done (W). It can be represented as ΔH = Q + W.

4. How is the enthalpy balance equation related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The enthalpy balance equation is directly related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The enthalpy balance equation is a mathematical representation of this law, as it shows the conservation of energy in a system.

5. What are some practical applications of the enthalpy balance equation?

The enthalpy balance equation has numerous practical applications in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to design and optimize chemical reactions, determine the energy efficiency of power plants, and analyze heat transfer in industrial processes, among others.