Equation of a circular paraboloid

In summary, the homework statement is to find the equation of a surface that is equidistant from a point and a plane. The Attempt at a Solution is to try and solve the equation for the surface equidistant between a point and a plane, but gets lost. The computer says the student is wrong, but it works after solving for the equation.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the surface that is equidistant from the plane x=1, and the point (-1,0,0).

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, if I set the distance from the surface to the point, and the distance from the surface to the plane as being equal, I should have the equation. Soo..? I can tell intuitively that the surface is going to be a circular paraboloid that opens toward the point, with its vertex on the origin, but I'm not sure how to begin this one...

I tried transposing the problem down to 2 dimensions, and finding the equation of the parabola that is equidistant between a point and a line, but I keep getting lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have the point (x, y, z). What are the expressions for the distance of that point from the plane x=1 and for the distance from that point to (-1, 0, 0)?

From point A=(x,y,z) to point (-1,0,0) is
√((-1-x)2+y2+z2)

From plane to point... well I know how to find the shortest distance from the plane to the point I think. But there are an infinite amount of points on the plane, I think that's what's confusing me.

But anyway, shortest distance from plane to point A=(x,y,z).. normal vector to plane is n = <1,0,0>.
So if (xo,yo,zo) is a point on the plane with position vector P, then (A-P) [itex]\cdot[/itex] n is the shortest distance. n is already a unit vector so I don't have to divide by the magnitude.

So do I set (A-P) [itex]\cdot[/itex] n= √((-1-x)2+y2+z2)?

Last edited:
Yup! Since P lies in the plane x=1, you know it has the form P=(1, y', z')...

Hmmm. I solved and got an answer of 0 = 2x + y^2 + z^2.
The computer says I'm wrong. :(

(A-P) dot n = x - 1.

I set that equal to the √((-1-x)^2+y^2+z^2), then square both sides and do some basic algebra. Why am I getting the wrong answer?

Algebra error? Shouldn't it be 4x?

oops. i see what i did.

Thanks! It worked. :)

1. What is the equation for a circular paraboloid?

The equation for a circular paraboloid is z = ax^2 + by^2, where a and b are constants that determine the shape and size of the paraboloid.

2. How is the equation of a circular paraboloid different from a regular paraboloid?

The equation of a circular paraboloid is different from a regular paraboloid in that it has a circular cross section, whereas a regular paraboloid has a parabolic cross section.

3. What are the properties of a circular paraboloid?

Some properties of a circular paraboloid include having a constant curvature along all cross sections, having a single vertex, and being symmetric about its axis of rotation.

4. How can the equation of a circular paraboloid be used in real-world applications?

The equation of a circular paraboloid can be used in designing structures and objects with a curved surface, such as satellite dishes, parabolic mirrors, and certain types of roofs. It is also used in mathematical models and simulations in various fields, such as physics and engineering.

5. Can the equation of a circular paraboloid be graphed?

Yes, the equation of a circular paraboloid can be graphed using a 3D graphing calculator or software. The resulting graph will show the curved surface of the paraboloid, with the x and y axes representing the circular cross section and the z axis representing the height or depth of the paraboloid.