Equation of Plane: Find the Points Equidistant from p & q

• Thread starter AndreTheGiant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: This can be seen by visualizing a cone with its tip at the midpoint of the line and its base on the line between the two points. The intersection of this cone with the plane perpendicular to the line is the set of all points equidistant from the two given points. This can also be derived algebraically by setting the distance from p to (x,y,z) equal to the distance from q to (x,y,z) and solving for the coefficients of the plane equation. In summary, the points in R3 equidistant from two fixed points p and q form a plane that is perpendicular to the line between p and q and passes through the midpoint of that line segment. The equation of this plane can be derived by setting the distance
AndreTheGiant

Homework Statement

Show that the points in R3 equidistant from two fixed points, p and q, form a plane and find the equation of the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the equation of the plane takes the form ax + by+ cz = d, where (a,b,c) is a normal vector of the plane.

assuming p = (x1, y1, z1) and q = (x2, y2, z2), how can i show that the points equidistant from both these points is a plane?
It doesn't really make sense to me visually I mean. The only way i can think of a point being equidistant is if its on a line in the middle of the two points. Its like an equilateral triangle, where if p and q were bottom left and right corners and the point on the top is equidistant from both, if it wasn't in the middle then the distance to one of the points will be greater than the distance to the other.

Hopefully someone understands what I mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the way to go about this is to go from the other direction than what you're trying. Start by defining what it means for a point (x,y,z) to be equidistant from p and q. That means that the distance from p to (x,y,z) is some number, say r, and the distance from q to (x,y,z) is also r. Then set them equal to each other and play with the algebra. The squared terms (i.e. x^2, not x1^2 - x1^2 is a constant) should cancel, leaving you with a plane equation

In other words, think geometrically. Geometrically, the line equidistant from two given points in the plane, is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment between the two points. Can you generalize that to three dimensions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit lost on this.

I tried the method suggested by tjackson. Basically if r is the distance from p to x,y,z and from q to x,y,z then they should be equal. Makes sense. However how do i even get this equation without knowing the points p and q? the distance equation gives

sqrt [(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2]

so then in this context i would have the points from p (some x, some y, some z) - (x,y,z) and do the same for q and set them equal.

how do i derive a plane equation from this though?
HallsofIvy said:
In other words, think geometrically. Geometrically, the line equidistant from two given points in the plane, is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment between the two points. Can you generalize that to three dimensions?

Hmm, visually this doesn't make sense to me. I thought that the only equidistant points from p and q would lie on the line that goes in between them. Why would it be on the perpendicular bisector of that line? If the points lie anywhere other than the middle of p and q, it wouldn't be equidistant anymore?

Edit: Oh wait, i think i get it. In 3 dimensions there are pretty much an infinite number of lines that lie between p and q which form a plane...am I thinking about this right?

Last edited:
Yes, the set of all points equidistant from two given points in three dimensions is the plane perpendicular to the line between the two points and passing through the midpoint of that line segment.

1. What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a two-dimensional flat surface in a three-dimensional space. It is in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

2. How do you find the points equidistant from two given points?

To find the points equidistant from two given points, we can use the midpoint formula to find the midpoint of the line segment connecting the two points. Then, we can use the distance formula to find the distance from the midpoint to any of the given points. The points that are equidistant from p and q will lie on a plane perpendicular to the line segment and passing through the midpoint.

3. How do you write the equation of a plane passing through two given points?

The equation of a plane passing through two given points, p and q, can be written in the form of (x-x0)·n = 0, where x0 is any point on the plane and n is the normal vector to the plane. To find n, we can take the cross product of the vector connecting p and q and any other vector in the plane. This will give us the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, and we can find D by substituting the coordinates of x0 into the equation.

4. What is the significance of finding points equidistant from two given points?

Finding points equidistant from two given points is important in geometry and engineering applications. It allows us to construct a plane that is equidistant from two given points, which can be useful in designing structures or determining the path of an object between two points.

5. Can there be more than one plane passing through two given points and equidistant from them?

No, there can only be one plane passing through two given points and equidistant from them. This is because any two points determine a unique line, and a plane that is perpendicular to this line will intersect it at the midpoint, making it equidistant from the two given points.