Equation of state of gravitational energy in open de Sitter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of state for gravitational energy in de Sitter spacetime, with values of w=-1 for the cosmological constant and w=-1/3 for curvature energy in open or closed de Sitter. The discussion also touches on the possibility of densities of massless particles having different equations of state, and the potential for gravitational energy to be represented as a fluid component with an equation of state. However, there is confusion around the concept of curvature energy and its relationship to gravitational radiation in de Sitter spacetime. The conversation concludes with a request for references and clarification on the sources and understanding of these concepts.
Vincentius
TL;DR Summary
Gravitational energy in de Sitter has EoS w=-1 (cosmological constant) and w=-1/3 (curvature energy in open or closed de Sitter). Is this just gravitational radiation, and how does this accord with EoS of photon radiation w=1/3?
Hi,
Gravitational energy in de Sitter has equation of state w=-1 (cosmological constant) and w=-1/3 (curvature energy in open or closed de Sitter). Is this just gravitational radiation, and how does this accord with the equation of state of photon radiation w=1/3?

Does this mean that densities of massless particles can have quite different EoS?

Thanks for answering!

Space news on Phys.org
Vincentius said:
and w=-1/3 (curvature energy in open or closed de Sitter).
Never heard such thing. Where did you read it from ?

Vincentius said:
Gravitational energy in de Sitter has equation of state w=-1 (cosmological constant) and w=-1/3 (curvature energy in open or closed de Sitter).

Where are you getting this from? Please give a reference.

Ok, maybe the question is wrong and I am just misunderstanding this. Retry:

There is no matter energy in de Sitter (empty), but still there is energy (cosmological constant w=-1 and curvature energy w=-1/3). Correct?

Then, as I understood, this energy is gravitational energy, therefore is relativistic, i.e., gravitational radiation. Correct?

If so, why does it have 2 equation-of-states, and why different from photon energy density w=1/3?

So clearly I am wrong somewhere, but not sure where.

Arman777 said:
In my knowledge there's only cosmological constant in the de-Sitter Universe. Logically curvature cannot have an equation of state (##w=-1/3##). That does not make sense. Only particles or "fluid" type things can have EoS.

De Sitter spacetime can be open, flat or closed, i.e., of negative, zero or positive Gaussian curvature K, and Friedmann equation

H2 = HΛ2 - Ka-2 ∝ρΛ + ρk

In general ρ ∝ a-3(1+wρ)

Curvature energy is represented by the density ρk ∝a-2, therefore wk = -1/3

The point I try to raise is not whether Λ or K are part of the fluid equation. These densities represent energy, indeed of geometrical origin rather than being a matter fluid, although they can be represented as fluid components with EoS. But, as I already mentioned, I understand these energy components represent gravitational energy in de Sitter, which I understand is relativistic, i.e., gravitational radiation. If it is radiation, then one could expect it to dilute and be redshifted like a photon fluid, which it doesn't. Photon redsfift is also a geometrical effect, so it seems these fundamentally different energy components must still have something in common. I hope someone can shine some light on this.

I may add that Misner-Sharp mass M represents the internal energy of a fluid in spherical symmetry, where this fluid is unspecified otherwise. This is also a purely geometrical mass: M=R/2G where R is the radius of the cosmological apparent horizon. M happens to equal the Schwarzschild mass. This suggests that energy relevant to cosmology is all geometrical, like in de Sitter. Still there may be an equivalent representation in terms of matter components like dust (not so likely) or photon radiation (much more likely). This is the background of my question.

Vincentius said:
There is no matter energy in de Sitter (empty), but still there is energy (cosmological constant w=-1 and curvature energy w=-1/3). Correct?

No. If you use the ##w## notation, de Sitter spacetime has ##w = -1## for the cosmological constant and that's it.

I don't know where you are getting "curvature energy" with ##w = 1/3## from. You need to give some references for where you are learning this stuff.

Vincentius said:
De Sitter spacetime can be open, flat or closed

These are just different choices of coordinates. They do not change the energy content of the spacetime.

Vincentius said:
Curvature energy

Is not an energy in the sense you are using the term.

Vincentius said:
I understand these energy components represent gravitational energy in de Sitter, which I understand is relativistic, i.e., gravitational radiation.

There is no gravitational radiation in de Sitter spacetime.

Vincentius said:
Misner-Sharp mass

Is not an energy density and has nothing to do with ##w##.

Vincentius said:
This is the background of my question.

It seems like you are confused, probably because whatever source you are getting this from is either pop science, or is stating things in a way you are having trouble understanding correctly so you are drawing mistaken inferences. It would help if you would give references.

Likes Arman777

1. What is the equation of state of gravitational energy in open de Sitter?

The equation of state of gravitational energy in open de Sitter is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the pressure and density of the universe in an open de Sitter model. It is derived from the Friedmann equations, which govern the dynamics of the expanding universe.

2. How does the equation of state of gravitational energy affect the expansion of the universe?

The equation of state of gravitational energy plays a crucial role in determining the rate of expansion of the universe. In an open de Sitter model, the equation of state is negative, meaning that the gravitational energy has a repulsive effect on the expansion of the universe. This results in an accelerated expansion.

3. What is the significance of the equation of state of gravitational energy in open de Sitter for cosmology?

The equation of state of gravitational energy is an important parameter in cosmology as it helps us understand the dynamics of the universe and its evolution. It is used in various cosmological models to study the expansion rate, density, and other properties of the universe.

4. How does the equation of state of gravitational energy change in different cosmological models?

The equation of state of gravitational energy can vary in different cosmological models. In an open de Sitter model, it is negative, but in other models such as closed de Sitter or flat models, it can be positive or zero. This variation affects the expansion rate and other properties of the universe in these models.

5. Can the equation of state of gravitational energy be measured or observed?

Currently, there is no direct way to measure or observe the equation of state of gravitational energy. However, its effects can be indirectly observed through the expansion rate of the universe and other cosmological parameters. Ongoing research and advancements in technology may eventually lead to a more direct measurement of this important parameter.