Equations of motion of a system with non holonomic constraints

In summary, the homework statement specifically says that the constants are non holonomic, so approaching them as holonomic would be wrong. I'll try the approach you mentioned.
DannyJ108
Homework Statement
A system with 2 degrees of freedom has 2 non holonomic constraints. Determine the equations of motion that can describe the movement of such system
Relevant Equations
##A_1 dq_1 +Cdq_3 + Ddq_4 = 0##
##A_2 dq_1 + Bdq_2 = 0##
Hello,

I have a system with 2 degrees of freedom with 2 non-holonomic constrains that can be expressed by:##A_1 dq_1 +Cdq_3 + Ddq_4 = 0##

##A_2 dq_1 + Bdq_2 = 0##Being ##q_1, q_2, q_3## and ##q_4## four generalized coordinates that can describe the movement of the system. And ##A_1, A_2, B, C## and ##D## independent constants.I have to obtain the necessary equations to completely describe the system's motion and interpret the physical meaning of the different equations.How should I proceed? I think I should use Lagrange multipliers, but I don't know where to start.Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If A,B,C,D are constants then the constraints are holonomic. Integrate these equations:
$$ A_1 q_1+Cq_3+Dq_4=const_1,\quad A_2q_1-Bq_2=const_2$$ express from here for example ##q_1,q_2## and get the system with generalized coordinates ##q_3,q_4##

Likes etotheipi
wrobel said:
If A,B,C,D are constants then the constraints are holonomic. Integrate these equations:
$$ A_1 q_1+Cq_3+Dq_4=const_1,\quad A_2q_1-Bq_2=const_2$$ express from here for example ##q_1,q_2## and get the system with generalized coordinates ##q_3,q_4##

The homework statement specifically says that the constants are non holonomic, so approaching them as holonomic would be wrong I think.
Also, I didn't mention it, but it says that ##A_1, A_2, B, C## and ##D## are constants independent of the generalized coordinates. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the way to resolve the exercise.
I'll try the approach you mentioned.

DannyJ108 said:
Also, I didn't mention it, but it says that and are constants independent of the generalized coordinates
you have said this:
DannyJ108 said:
Homework Statement:: A system with 2 degrees of freedom has 2 non holonomic constraints. Determine the equations of motion that can describe the movement of such system
Relevant Equations:: A1dq1+Cdq3+Ddq4=0
A2dq1+Bdq2=0

. And and independent constants.
By the way the rang of constraints matrix must be 2

1. What are non holonomic constraints in a system?

Non holonomic constraints are limitations or conditions that restrict the motion of a system in a specific direction or manner. These constraints cannot be expressed as simple equations and are usually more complex and difficult to solve.

2. How do non holonomic constraints affect the equations of motion?

Non holonomic constraints introduce additional terms and equations into the equations of motion, making them more complicated and difficult to solve. These constraints also limit the possible solutions for the system's motion.

3. Can non holonomic constraints be ignored in the equations of motion?

No, non holonomic constraints cannot be ignored in the equations of motion as they play a crucial role in determining the behavior and motion of the system. Ignoring these constraints can lead to incorrect solutions and predictions.

4. How do you solve equations of motion with non holonomic constraints?

Solving equations of motion with non holonomic constraints requires advanced mathematical techniques such as Lagrange multipliers and Hamilton's equations. These methods allow for the incorporation of the constraints into the equations of motion and finding a solution that satisfies them.

5. What are some real-life examples of systems with non holonomic constraints?

Some common examples of systems with non holonomic constraints include vehicles with differential steering, rolling objects, and systems with rolling, sliding, or spinning motion. These constraints are also present in various physical systems such as pendulums, robots, and mechanical linkages.