Equipotential surface and electric field

In summary: You should try solving the equation ##V(x,y,z) = constant## for ##z## and compare your answer with the three possible answers.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Equipotential surface.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the relation between electric field and electric potential . I can also find Electric field if expression for potential is given and vica versa . But I do not know how to work with electric field and equipotential surfaces . Since this is an MCQ , I believe there must be some simple underlying concept involved in it .

Is there a way to get the expression for potential from the equipotential surface or vica versa ?

Attachments

• Equipotential surface.jpg
    Equipotential surface.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 857
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
I know the relation between electric field and electric potential .
If you know the relation, then use the given field components to find an expression for the potential. Sometimes even MCQs require you to do work. You could try dimensional analysis, but you must be sure you know what you're doing because of (d) being a possibility.

kuruman said:
If you know the relation, then use the given field components to find an expression for the potential.

Sorry . I am not sure how to do this . Although if expression for potential is given then using partial differentiation electric field can be obtained .

Ex= -∂V/∂x

But electric field is given in the problem .

Jahnavi said:
But electric field is given in the problem .
I agree. You are looking for the potential, not the electric field. If $$\frac{\partial V(x,y,z)}{\partial x}=-4axy\sqrt{z}$$ what could ##V(x,y,z)## possibly be in the most general case?

Likes Jahnavi
kuruman said:
If $$\frac{\partial V(x,y,z)}{\partial x}=-4axy\sqrt{z}$$ what could ##V(x,y,z)## possibly be in the most general case?

-2ax2y√z

I think this will also be the expression if I do the same thing in Y and Z direction .

Are the options given in the question expression for potentials ? If yes , then option C) looks correct . Is that right ?

But the question asks to find equipotential surfaces . "Equation of a surface" and "expression for potential" are two different things . Isn't it ?

Last edited:
You are not done yet. The potential could be ##V(x,y,z)=-2ax^2y\sqrt{z}+f(y,z)## and the x-component of the electric field would still be ##E_x=4axy\sqrt{z}##. If this is the case, then the correct answer could be (d). So you need to do more work with the other two components that are given to you.
Jahnavi said:
"Equation of a surface" and "expression for potential" are two different things . Isn't it ?
Yes. If you have an expression for ##V(x,y,z)##, you can solve the equation ##V(x,y,z) = constant## for ##z## and compare your answer with the three possible answers.

Likes Jahnavi
kuruman said:
You are not done yet. The potential could be ##V(x,y,z)=-2ax^2y\sqrt{z}+f(y,z)## and the x-component of the electric field would still be ##E_x=4axy\sqrt{z}##. If this is the case, then the correct answer could be (d).

You are right :smile:

kuruman said:
So you need to do more work with the other two components that are given to you.

What should I do now ?

Jahnavi said:
What should I do now ?
The same thing you did in the x-direction, but now do it in the y-direction. You know that $$\frac{\partial V(x,y,z)}{\partial y}=-2ax^2\sqrt{z}$$ and you have found that ##V(x,y,z)=-2ax^2y\sqrt{z}+f(y,z)##. Put it together and see what you can say about the y-dependence of ##f(y,z)##. Then repeat with the z-dependence.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

1. What is an equipotential surface?

An equipotential surface is a surface in which all points have the same electric potential. This means that the electric potential energy per unit charge is constant at all points on the surface.

2. How is an equipotential surface related to electric field?

An equipotential surface is always perpendicular to the electric field lines. This means that if you draw a tangent line to the equipotential surface at any point, it will be parallel to the electric field vector at that point.

3. How do you calculate the electric field from an equipotential surface?

The electric field is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field at any point on the equipotential surface can be found by taking the negative of the slope of the equipotential surface at that point.

4. Can an equipotential surface intersect with itself?

No, an equipotential surface cannot intersect with itself. This is because two points on an equipotential surface must have the same electric potential, and if the surface were to intersect, those two points would have different potentials.

5. How does distance affect equipotential surfaces and electric field?

As distance increases from a point charge, the equipotential surfaces become farther apart and the electric field strength decreases. This is because the electric potential decreases with distance from a point charge, causing the equipotential surfaces to spread out and the electric field lines to become less concentrated.