Equivalence between an injection and a surjection

In summary, the homework statement is that there exists a surjection from B to A if and only if there exists a injection from A to B.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two sets.

Homework Equations

Prove that there exists a injection from A to B if and only if there exists a surjection from B to A

The Attempt at a Solution

I did one implication which is we suppose that f: B→A is a surjection.
Then by definition of a surjection: [tex]\forall a\in A,\exists b\in B/f(b)=a[/tex]
Then for each a in A we consider the nonempty set [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex]
and I let an arbitrary b in [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex] and then I defined the function:

g: A→B so we get g(a)=b for our choice of b in [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex] and this is injective, because f was a function that we established earlier so if we take b1 in [tex]f^{-1}(a_{1})[/tex]
and b2 in [tex]f^{-1}(a_{2})[/tex] then it's simple to see that b1≠b2, but if they were equal then by definition:

a1=f(b1)=f(b2)=a2. So therefore g is injective. Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two sets.

Homework Equations

Prove that there exists a injection from A to B if and only if there exists a surjection from B to A

Supose A = {1,2,3}, B = {1,2,3,4,5}. Then f(n) = n for n = 1,2,3 is an injection form A to B. But there is no surjection from B to A.

[Edit, added later]: You can safely ignore this post as noted below.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Supose A = {1,2,3}, B = {1,2,3,4,5}. Then f(n) = n for n = 1,2,3 is an injection form A to B. But there is no surjection from B to A.
Really? :confused:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Let ##g:B\to A, x\mapsto\left\{\begin{matrix} 1 & \text{if } x\in\{1,4,5\} \\ 2 & \text{if } x=2 \\ 3 & \text{if } x=3\end{matrix}\right.##. Isn't this a surjection? Its image is clearly equal to its codomain, right?

LCKurtz said:

Take [itex]f: B \to A[/itex] with [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] for [itex]x \in \{1, 2, 3\}[/itex] and [itex]f(4)[/itex] and [itex]f(5)[/itex] arbitrary. Then f is a surjection (for every [itex]a \in A[/itex] there exists at least one [itex]b \in B[/itex] such that [itex]f(b) = a[/itex].

What does not exist is an injection from B to A.

Mandelbroth said:
Really? :confused:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Let ##g:B\to A, x\mapsto\left\{\begin{matrix} 1 & \text{if } x\in\{1,4,5\} \\ 2 & \text{if } x=2 \\ 3 & \text{if } x=3\end{matrix}\right.##. Isn't this a surjection? Its image is clearly equal to its codomain, right?

Yes. Sorry, I was thinking bijection when I was reading surjection. :redface:

So the first implication of the proof is fine right?

mtayab1994 said:
So the first implication of the proof is fine right?

Yes, I think your reasoning is OK.

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two sets.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did one implication which is we suppose that f: B→A is a surjection.
Then by definition of a surjection: [tex]\forall a\in A,\exists b\in B/f(b)=a[/tex]
Then for each a in A we consider the nonempty set [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex]
and I let an arbitrary b in [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex] and then I defined the function:

g: A→B so we get g(a)=b for our choice of b in [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex]

At this point you could note that if [itex]g(a) \in f^{-1}(\{a\})[/itex] then by definition [itex]f(g(a)) = a[/itex], and the proof that g is injective is then straightforward.

and this is injective,
because f was a function that we established earlier so if we take b1 in [tex]f^{-1}(a_{1})[/tex]
and b2 in [tex]f^{-1}(a_{2})[/tex] then it's simple to see that b1≠b2, but if they were equal then by definition:

a1=f(b1)=f(b2)=a2. So therefore g is injective. Is this correct so far?

This is correct.

A point of notation: [itex]f^{-1}(\{a\}) \subset B[/itex] is the pre-image of the singleton subset [itex]\{a\} \subset A[/itex], which is well-defined even if f is not a bijection. This must be distinguished from [itex]f^{-1}(a) \in B[/itex], which is the image of [itex]a \in A[/itex] under the inverse of f, which is not well-defined unless f is a bijection.

pasmith said:
At this point you could note that if [itex]g(a) \in f^{-1}(\{a\})[/itex] then by definition [itex]f(g(a)) = a[/itex], and the proof that g is injective is then straightforward.

This is correct.

A point of notation: [itex]f^{-1}(\{a\}) \subset B[/itex] is the pre-image of the singleton subset [itex]\{a\} \subset A[/itex], which is well-defined even if f is not a bijection. This must be distinguished from [itex]f^{-1}(a) \in B[/itex], which is the image of [itex]a \in A[/itex] under the inverse of f, which is not well-defined unless f is a bijection.

Thank you every much for the information I really appreciate it .

1. What is an injection?

An injection is a function that maps each element in the domain to a unique element in the range. In other words, no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. What is a surjection?

A surjection is a function that maps each element in the domain to at least one element in the range. In other words, every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

3. How are injections and surjections related?

Injections and surjections are both types of functions, and they are related in that an injection can be seen as a special case of a surjection. In other words, every injection is also a surjection, but not all surjections are injections.

4. What is the difference between an injection and a surjection?

The main difference between an injection and a surjection is the uniqueness of the mapping. In an injection, each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, while in a surjection, an element in the range can have multiple corresponding elements in the domain.

5. How do we prove equivalence between an injection and a surjection?

To prove equivalence between an injection and a surjection, we need to show that the function satisfies both properties. This can be done by showing that the function is both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective).