Equivalence of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex]

• Thread starter ELESSAR TELKONT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary: This function has a finite s-norm for all k, but its infinite-norm goes to 0 as k goes to infinity.In summary, you have correctly shown that for s,r>1, the norms \left\|\cdot\right\|_{s} and \left\|\cdot\right\|_{r} are equivalent. However, you still need to consider the case when s,r\leq 1 in order to fully answer the question. Additionally, you should also consider the existence of a constant c>0 such that \left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty}\leq c\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s} for s\leq
ELESSAR TELKONT

Homework Statement

Let [itex]1\leq s<r<\infty[/itex]. For what pairs [itex]s,r[/itex] the norms [itex]\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s},\left\|\cdot\right\|_{r}[/itex] are equivalent?

Homework Equations

I have already proven that [itex]\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s}\leq (b-a)^{\frac{r-s}{rs}}\left\|\cdot\right\|_{r}[/itex] and that [itex]\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s}\leq (b-a)^{\frac{1}{s}}\left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty}[/itex]. Of course I have proven, exposing that
[itex]
x_{k}(t)=\begin{cases}
1-kt &0\leq t\leq\frac{1}{k}\\
0 &\frac{1}{k}\leq t\leq 1
\end{cases}
[/itex]
has a finite infinite-norm for all k, but the 1-norm goes to 0 as k goes infinity, then I can say that there's no c>0 that [itex]\left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty}\leq c\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s}[/itex], and of course this is true for [itex][a,b][/itex] since I can map the [0,1] to the [a,b].

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't imagine some continuous function sequence that may be used as a counterexample to say that I can't bound the s-norms with the r-norms from below. I have done the work as I have proven for the norms in lp sequence spaces and I get that they are equivalent but I suspect they aren't. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. This is a very interesting question and it seems like you have made some good progress in your attempt to solve it. I would like to offer some suggestions and insights that may help you complete your proof.

Firstly, you have correctly proven that for s,r>1, the norms \left\|\cdot\right\|_{s} and \left\|\cdot\right\|_{r} are equivalent. However, this does not cover the case when s or r is less than 1. In order to address this, you should consider the case when s,r\leq 1. You can use the same approach as you did for s,r>1, but you may need to make some adjustments to account for the different ranges of s and r. I suggest starting with the case when s=r=1 and then generalize to s,r\leq 1.

Secondly, you have shown that \left\|\cdot\right\|_{s}\leq (b-a)^{\frac{1}{s}}\left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty} for all s>1. However, this does not necessarily mean that there is no c>0 such that \left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty}\leq c\left\|\cdot\right\|_{s}. In fact, for s>1, such a constant does exist. This can be seen by considering the function f(t)=t^{s-1}, which has a finite \infty-norm but an infinite s-norm. However, for s\leq 1, such a constant does not exist and this is an important observation for your proof.

Lastly, for the case when s,r\leq 1, you can use the same function sequence x_{k}(t) that you have defined for s,r>1. However, for s,r\leq 1, you may need to modify the function to ensure that it has a finite s-norm. For example, you can consider the function x_{k}(t)=\frac{1}{k^{\frac{1}{s}}}(1-kt)^{\frac{1}{s}} for 0\leq t\leq\frac{1}{k} and 0 for \frac{1}{k}\leq t\leq

1. What is the definition of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex]?

The p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] are a way of measuring the size or magnitude of a function in the continuous function space. It is defined as the integral of the absolute value of the function raised to the power of p over the interval [a,b].

2. What is the significance of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex]?

P-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] are important because they allow us to compare the size of different functions in the continuous function space. They also help in analyzing the convergence and continuity of functions.

3. What is the relationship between p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] and the uniform norm?

The uniform norm is a special case of the p-norm for p = ∞. This means that the uniform norm is the largest value that the p-norm can take for any function in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex]. In other words, the uniform norm is the limit as p approaches infinity of the p-norm.

4. How do we prove the equivalence of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex]?

The equivalence of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] can be proven using the Hölder's inequality, which states that for any two functions f and g in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex], the p-norm of their product is less than or equal to the product of their p-norms. By using this inequality, we can show that the p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] are all equivalent.

5. How does the equivalence of p-norms in [itex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/itex] affect the choice of p for a specific problem?

The choice of p depends on the specific problem and the properties we want to study. For example, if we want to analyze the convergence of a sequence of functions, we might choose a specific p that makes the p-norm of the difference between consecutive terms small. In general, a higher value of p will give us more information about the behavior of the function, but it also leads to more complicated calculations.